The Next 12 Games

hi8is

9 of them are against last place teams. The remaining three are against the team to beat ( for now ) in the central.

Let’s see what the board thinks the clip we play at will be in this stretch.

I’m going big at 10 - 2.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Let's start with these two against the really bad Pirates.  8-4 would be solid, but if we can get these 2 against the Pirates, I would hope to do better than 6-4 in the next 10. 

Ideally gotta get 2 of 3 from Minnesota, too.  

We can't look at it like that. Baseball is a funny sport and we aren't the Dodgers or Yankees where wins should be a certainty against bad teams. Hell, Minnesota got swept by the Royals and Cleveland lost a series to Detroit. So you are right, that if we start 2 and 0 we should want better than 6 and 4, but it is not a certainty as we could lose two to Minnesta and 1 each to KC and Pitt. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We can't look at it like that. Baseball is a funny sport and we aren't the Dodgers or Yankees where wins should be a certainty against bad teams. Hell, Minnesota got swept by the Royals and Cleveland lost a series to Detroit. So you are right, that if we start 2 and 0 we should want better than 6 and 4, but it is not a certainty as we could lose two to Minnesta and 1 each to KC and Pitt. 

I would hope the White Sox would take no one lightly. These are still ,major league teams, and they still have to execute.  I am greatly encouraged by the recent White Sox performance, but I am not taking anything as a given.

If we are going to win the division, I think we need to have at least a 2-3 game lead by the end of this 17 game stretch. We finish with 4 vs Twins, 3 at Reds, 4 at Cle, and 3 vs the Cubs, we are going to need a buffer heading into that slate. (BTW Cle finishes with 3 against Det and 3 against Pit so a real chance for a late surge by them)

3 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

If we are going to win the division, I think we need to have at least a 2-3 game lead by the end of this 17 game stretch. We finish with 4 vs Twins, 3 at Reds, 4 at Cle, and 3 vs the Cubs, we are going to need a buffer heading into that slate. (BTW Cle finishes with 3 against Det and 3 against Pit so a real chance for a late surge by them)

This weekend we played the Cubs and Cleveland played Detroit and we gained a game on them. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I would hope the White Sox would take no one lightly. These are still ,major league teams, and they still have to execute.  I am greatly encouraged by the recent White Sox performance, but I am not taking anything as a given.

A team with as many young players as they have is susceptible to this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

No doubt. That is a lot of good teams right at the end.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

No doubt. That is a lot of good teams right at the end.

Cubs are very likely playing for nothing more than possibly seeding, but it’s likely they will know if they’re 2 or 3 going into series.  Might get them setting up their rotation for postseason.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Cubs are very likely playing for nothing more than possibly seeding, but it’s likely they will know if they’re 2 or 3 going into series.  Might get them setting up their rotation for postseason.

Good point but I'm sure after the pasting the Sox gave them earlier they won't be just mailing the games in.

Hopefully the seeding point isn't  the same and can't be said for the Twins and Cleveland.

Edited by ptatc

Don't care about the record over next 12 games. Really we are competing against almost nobody for a playoff spot. 

Toronto : probably your 8 seed. too bad pearson couldn't stay healthy - with ryu and roark, anderson etc they had a shot at being average enough to keep afloat with a young talented offense. Then they lost bichette too. But either way, they're probably the 8 seed. 

After that: Orioles -  which i mean, they have some sticks, but they won't have the sustainable pitching to get through. Cobb, Means, Millone, Woj can all have flashes, but none are going to really keep you in the hunt - maybe with Toronto, but not much better. They'll play mostly .500 ball but have like a 5-6 game losing streak and finish 27 wins or so. 

Texas? They should have a better offense than they do, but they rank near last in almost everything offensively. No Kluber hurts. Minor losing some velocity hurts. Gibson hasn't pitched even league average. This team has the most talent of the fringe candidates however at 11-17 they'll need to battle to get to .500 in short time

Angels - same. That offense should produce, but that pitching staff is woof. Teheran was a bust. Ohtani down. Bundy has been nice. But they'll need someone like Pena and Sandoval really to step up. And Canning to stay healthy. Either way their bullpen sucks. offense can maybe get them some wins but at 9-21? Good riddance ... they'll never go 21-9 to finish .500 playing the likes of houston, oakland, dodgers, dbacks, padres. 

Boston/KC/Detroit? - not happening. Maybe Detroit could have a case if Skubal and mize came out strong and Boyd bounced back... but at 11-16 they'll need to do that fast. That offense has some vets, but lets be honest...

So at 17-12 plus these 12 games? even if its just 7-5 we're then 24-19 with 17 games left. Go 7-10 and we finish 31-29. Not sure which of the teams i Just listed are jumping us. 

So long winded saying of - i really don't care about the record that much - we're in the playoffs unless we shit the bed. So what I want to see? I want to see run PRODUCTION. not this hit home run shit. I'm not trying to be the old man yells at cloud here, but this reminds me of the twins last year or the cubs a few years back. the long ball is a good way to win and lose games, you don't want to rely on it. I'd like to see some more get em on, get em over, get em in. I think Madrigal helps there. i'd like to see a healthy yoan.. I'd like to see Eloy learn and grow in LF. I'd like to see RF figure itself out -- or raelly I'd like to see a trade by Monday. Mazara aint it. He wasn't going to be. He didn't cost anything, but he's not it. Engel has grown on me, but he's not it either. He's a nice 4 of and pinch runner and defensive sub. I'd like to see Rodon come back. I'd like to see Lopez figure out a role - whether that be starting or in the pen or as an opener. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Don't care about the record over next 12 games. Really we are competing against almost nobody for a playoff spot. 

Toronto : probably your 8 seed. too bad pearson couldn't stay healthy - with ryu and roark, anderson etc they had a shot at being average enough to keep afloat with a young talented offense. Then they lost bichette too. But either way, they're probably the 8 seed. 

After that: Orioles -  which i mean, they have some sticks, but they won't have the sustainable pitching to get through. Cobb, Means, Millone, Woj can all have flashes, but none are going to really keep you in the hunt - maybe with Toronto, but not much better. They'll play mostly .500 ball but have like a 5-6 game losing streak and finish 27 wins or so. 

Texas? They should have a better offense than they do, but they rank near last in almost everything offensively. No Kluber hurts. Minor losing some velocity hurts. Gibson hasn't pitched even league average. This team has the most talent of the fringe candidates however at 11-17 they'll need to battle to get to .500 in short time

Angels - same. That offense should produce, but that pitching staff is woof. Teheran was a bust. Ohtani down. Bundy has been nice. But they'll need someone like Pena and Sandoval really to step up. And Canning to stay healthy. Either way their bullpen sucks. offense can maybe get them some wins but at 9-21? Good riddance ... they'll never go 21-9 to finish .500 playing the likes of houston, oakland, dodgers, dbacks, padres. 

Boston/KC/Detroit? - not happening. Maybe Detroit could have a case if Skubal and mize came out strong and Boyd bounced back... but at 11-16 they'll need to do that fast. That offense has some vets, but lets be honest...

So at 17-12 plus these 12 games? even if its just 7-5 we're then 24-19 with 17 games left. Go 7-10 and we finish 31-29. Not sure which of the teams i Just listed are jumping us. 

So long winded saying of - i really don't care about the record that much - we're in the playoffs unless we shit the bed. So what I want to see? I want to see run PRODUCTION. not this hit home run shit. I'm not trying to be the old man yells at cloud here, but this reminds me of the twins last year or the cubs a few years back. the long ball is a good way to win and lose games, you don't want to rely on it. I'd like to see some more get em on, get em over, get em in. I think Madrigal helps there. i'd like to see a healthy yoan.. I'd like to see Eloy learn and grow in LF. I'd like to see RF figure itself out -- or raelly I'd like to see a trade by Monday. Mazara aint it. He wasn't going to be. He didn't cost anything, but he's not it. Engel has grown on me, but he's not it either. He's a nice 4 of and pinch runner and defensive sub. I'd like to see Rodon come back. I'd like to see Lopez figure out a role - whether that be starting or in the pen or as an opener. 

Good job with all the names/analysis...

35 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

What you've said is pot on. People worry about our tough schedule to end the season, but we have a 17 game stretch now where we can lock up a spot before then. Many of the other teams chasing us have tough schedules and poor records already. The Orioles and Jays will beat up on each other and lose games to the Yankees, Braves, and Rays down the line. I'd like to see us finish second and as the 4 seed. Catching Minny may not happen this year, but second place and a solid chance to get to the real playoffs would be huge for this team. Many folks questioned the validity of this season's playoffs, but from the looks of it, I think the playoff teams will be deserved and the cream has risen towards the top. 

Seeding would be nice, however it doesn't really concern me a ton. Outside of Cole & facing a team like the Indians, I really don't see an advantage or disadvantage of a 3 game series against any other team. Indians could throw Bieber, Clev, Civale/Carrasco out there. I want no piece of that. Likewise Cole and (good) Tanaka are tough to beat. Finally - morton/snell/glasnow. 

Really just don't want to play the Yanks, Indians, Rays first round. Hard to control seeding though, but after that I'd welcome almost any other team against our offense/top 3 guys in a 3 game series. 

Sidenote: it has to be extremely frustrating to be an indians fan. It's almost like a poorly run Rays team in a much easier division. The OF they run out there is just hot garbage. With Bieber, Clev, Carraasco, Civale, Pleasac, McKenzie? Wow, thats pitching depth to the max. They just need an OF -- ONE impact bat .... like a Castallenos or someone like that in the offseason and they'd be my WS favorite. 

• 2 weeks later...