Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX NO HITTER WINNER

Normally incisive and insightful even in the worst moments, Giolito had few answers, saying a version of “I let it get too quick for me” multiple times.

You always saw Giolito’s talent. You always could make sense of Giolito’s explanations for how or why things went wrong and how they might be fixed soon. But how would it ever all work in the major leagues if that could happen to him? If he was so easily overwhelmed? Between high school injuries, struggles with the Nationals and the 2018 season, his parents, loving him as they did, had got out of the habit of watching his games live.

“I used to watch, but I just can’t anymore. My heart — I get too nervous,” Giolito’s father, Rick, said in a phone call with The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/2023401/2020/08/26/white-sox-lucas-giolitos-transformation-grows-more-incredible-with-a-no-hitter/?source=dailyemail

2 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

I LOVE that Benetti had no problem saying it was a no hitter the closer they got. I hate that superstitious crap that you cant acknowledge it.

Totally agree, but I will cut some announcers some slack. Obviously the tradition is very important to the players, and I think that is why former players turned announcers often carry that superstition with them to the booth. Still, so refreshing to hear the PbP guy acknowledge and elucidate the significance of the moment as it grew closer and closer. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Totally agree, but I will cut some announcers some slack. Obviously the tradition is very important to the players, and I think that is why former players turned announcers often carry that superstition with them to the booth. Still, so refreshing to hear the PbP guy acknowledge and elucidate the significance of the moment as it grew closer and closer. 

I didn't see the game but if Jason mentioned the no-no, this deserves national publicity to be the shining example that the superstition is B.S. I've heard ballplayers get mad in the past if they hear the announcer jinxed a no-no. Kudos to Jason for mentioning it beforehand.

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I didn't see the game but if Jason mentioned the no-no, this deserves national publicity to be the shining example that the superstition is B.S. I've heard ballplayers get mad in the past if they hear the announcer jinxed a no-no. Kudos to Jason for mentioning it beforehand.

he mentioned it about 5 different ways from the 6 to the 8, and then just started flat out calling it a no hitter, and the pirates were hitless. It was such a refreshing game call. He is really growing on me as an elite PbP guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

White Sox are selling $27 tickets to the no hitter.

Free if you are a season ticket holder.