Steve/Jason appreciation post

lostfan

These guys have become my favorite broadcasting duo since... I dunno, Hawk and Wimpy in the 90s? Nothing compares to Hawk's "You can put it on the board, YES" as far as play by play calls, but besides that Jason and Steve are everything you could want.

-Openly pro-Sox but objective about the game, not overboard with homerism

-Informative about what's happening in the game, skills/capabilities of players, what scouting reports say etc.

-Entertaining banter, playful roasting

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, lostfan said:

These guys have become my favorite broadcasting duo since... I dunno, Hawk and Wimpy in the 90s? Nothing compares to Hawk's "You can put it on the board, YES" as far as play by play calls, but besides that Jason and Steve are everything you could want.

-Openly pro-Sox but objective about the game, not overboard with homerism

-Informative about what's happening in the game, skills/capabilities of players, what scouting reports say etc.

-Entertaining banter, playful roasting

I agree with all of what you're saying.  They have been brilliant, entertaining & just a pleasure to listen to.  I think Bennetti just brings out the silly in Stoney & they're having fun....& bringing us along for the ride. 

• Like 4

Just now, Lonchair said:

I agree with all of what you're saying.  They have been brilliant, entertaining & just a pleasure to listen to.  I think Bennetti just brings out the silly in Stoney & they're having fun....& bringing us along for the ride. 

Steve's really dry but Jason brings the humor out in him in a way that never happened when he was paired with Hawk.

• Like 3

Nothing will ever beat Hawk and Wimpy in their prime but Jason and Stone this year have been good.  Jason, god bless him, finally has realized he can let the game speak for itself at times.  He's learned that he doesn't have to pepper stone with a million questions to fill the air -- some of that is no doubt just having a fun entertaining club, but Jason has improved.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Steve's really dry but Jason brings the humor out in him in a way that never happened when he was paired with Hawk.

Yes.  It's like Jason is showing Stoney another side of himself (Steve) that he didn't know he had or didn't want to reveal on air. Maybe just trying to be professional in the way he thought was being professional. It just seems like Stone is so much more relaxed & happy coming to the park every day. I really do like & enjoy the both of them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Jason has improved a lot since he started calling games for us. That’s for sure. When he’s an old man, he’ll be a great.

Stoney Tweeted recently that one day, as you mentioned, that Bennetti will go down as one of the all time greats. How would like to hear that from your work partner?  It's also great that the fans appreciate what we have going for us along with this team & its future. 

• Like 5

There are a lot of great mentor/protege relationships where the mentor helps bring out great things in the protege. Only in the rarest and greatest cases, though, do you see the protege have an equally profound effect on the mentor.

Jason and Stone have this sort of relationship, and while I've always known Stoney was great, Jason has helped me realize that the guy is a bonafide baseball genius. If you ever doubt how close the two are, just go listen to Stone's "Why don't you take this one partner" to Jason, telling him to drive for the final out in the no hitter. These two have incredible chemistry. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

There are a lot of great mentor/protege relationships where the mentor helps bring out great things in the protege. Only in the rarest and greatest cases, though, do you see the protege have an equally profound effect on the mentor.

Jason and Stone have this sort of relationship, and while I've always known Stoney was great, Jason has helped me realize that the guy is a bonafide baseball genius. If you ever doubt how close the two are, just go listen to Stone's "Why don't you take this one partner" to Jason, telling him to drive for the final out in the no hitter. These two have incredible chemistry. 

That was a really cool moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

The ninth inning was amazing work by Jason.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, gusguyman said:

"Like Lucas and James are a team...so are we."

Absolutely perfect response. I get emotional just thinking about that moment.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, hi8is said:

Jason has improved a lot since he started calling games for us. That’s for sure. When he’s an old man, he’ll be a great.

Jason has improved a great deal, and he is beginning to find himself. Also, as time goes on, he is beginning to learn more about the game. He is also a likable person.

The chemistry between him and Stone is good. During the later years, the tension between Stone and Harrelson didn't make for a good broadcast. You could sense Stone cringe when Hawk would say some of his stupid stuff. 

For those who miss Hawk: It was time for him to go. Between his two stints, Hawk put in 30 years in the broadcast booth. That's long enough. Time for a new era.

• Like 1

Here is a thought I just had.  Are the announcers paid by the Sox and provided to the network or employees of the network with the Sox having approval.  Jason has gone through his growing pains.  He has called games for terrible teams.  He has to be enjoying this and can see the future.  The Sox should sign him to a ten year deal with perhaps options or a rolling ten year deal.  He could be the voice for a generation of new Sox fans who will be showing up now that the team is good.  Sox have done long term extensions for players who wanted the security.  Perhaps Jason would like that as well.

Jason is good and getting better at the play by play stuff, and his humor makes it fun.  Steve is extremely knowledgeable about baseball, and his analyses are great.  I like when Jason asks Steve what he'd do in certain situations, what pitch he'd throw, etc.  I truly enjoy listening to them.

• Like 1