Steve/Jason appreciation post

lostfan

Yesterday was a low-key great broadcast. Jason and Steve make me chuckle at least once per game. Jason is a goofball, but him paired up with Stone as the straight-man works just incredibly well.,The terrible Bashlor- Bachelor puns were the right kind of goofing off in a blow out.

Edited by GermanSoxFan

Nice thread. Not one negative post so far. The 2 of them are great and I enjoy listening to them. I even like the fact Stone must have said, 'f--k it, I don't care I might as well sing along with Jason' to 'Nationwide is on your side.' Normally that would annoy me greatly but it seems to me Jason sang it alone a few times and Stoney refused then for some reason he joined in and hasn't stopped. Again it's corny and dumb but I don't mind it.

Stone is a genius IMO and a pleasure to hear his commentary, stories and comebacks. Jason B is very good and the 2 are continuing a tradition of great fun listening to Sox games. Harry and Jimmy to Hawk and WImpy/Jackson/Stone to Jason and Stone, which is the best (except for Harry). Hawk became a crabby man his last 2 seasons; earlier he was amazing. I never hated him, but didn't like his bad moods the last 2 seasons.

Edited by greg775

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Nice thread. Not one negative post so far. The 2 of them are great and I enjoy listening to them. I even like the fact Stone must have said, 'f--k it, I don't care I might as well sing along with Jason' to 'Nationwide is on your side.' Normally that would annoy me greatly but it seems to me Jason sang it alone a few times and Stoney refused then for some reason he joined in and hasn't stopped. Again it's corny and dumb but I don't mind it.

Stone is a genius IMO and a pleasure to hear his commentary, stories and comebacks. Jason B is very good and the 2 are continuing a tradition of great fun listening to Sox games. Harry and Jimmy to Hawk and WImpy/Jackson/Stone to Jason and Stone, which is the best (except for Harry). Hawk became a crabby man his last 2 seasons; earlier he was amazing. I never hated him, but didn't like his bad moods the last 2 seasons.

The big problem I had with Hawk was the silence we would get for what seemed like innings at a time when things were going bad.  I always thought there was something wrong with the volume on my set.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wegner said:

The big problem I had with Hawk was the silence we would get for what seemed like innings at a time when things were going bad.  I always thought there was something wrong with the volume on my set.

I always thought Hawk had to go take a huge crap like clockwork in the 5th inning....🤣

• Haha 2

Stone allowing JB to call the final out gave me goosebumps. You could tell that was a lifelong dream of Benetti's, particularly because he grew up a Sox fan.

Stone has taken it to another level this year with the team being competitive with his in-game lessons, stories and predictions, something that was easily predictable for awhile now when some dopes were saying "bEnEtTi Is CoRnY." There is less time for jokes between them now. They are a GREAT tandem

• Like 1

It is easy to be a great announcer for a winning team. I'm pretty sure that a lot of announcers would love  that opportunity, including the Hawk.

Imagine how much fun Hawk would be having with all of the home runs. At least he had an idea when a ball was barely making it to the warning track instead heading into the OF seats ten rows deep   He looks up....you can put it on the board..   Benetti makes you run to the screen in anticipation of a HR only to  witness a weak fly ball.

So OK Benetti is fine, but I am not gushing over his pseudo-intellectual banter and word games  with Stone. Some of the self-deprecation and chiding of one another gets old after awhile.

Edited by tray

1 hour ago, tray said:

It is easy to be a great announcer for a winning team. I'm pretty sure that a lot of announcers would love  that opportunity, including the Hawk.

Imagine how much fun Hawk would be having with all of the home runs. At least he had an idea when a ball was barely making it to the warning track instead heading into the OF seats ten rows deep   He looks up....you can put it on the board..   Benetti makes you run to the screen in anticipation of a HR only to  witness a weak fly ball.

So OK Benetti is fine, but I am not gushing over his pseudo-intellectual banter and word games  with Stone. Some of the self-deprecation and chiding of one another gets old after awhile.

It's funny how you take every opportunity to talk up Hawk and bash Benetti, but as soon as posters here start shitting on Hawk, you ask them to stop. 

This is probably the best stone has ever been in the booth.  He seems a lot looser and more off the cuff.  Benetti is very solid, but he really needs to get an exciting home run call.  His is very low key and doesnt bring in the excitement it should.  That and the occasional comedy routine are really my only criticisms of an otherwise great broadcast team

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox1917 said:

This is probably the best stone has ever been in the booth.  He seems a lot looser and more off the cuff.  Benetti is very solid, but he really needs to get an exciting home run call.  His is very low key and doesnt bring in the excitement it should.  That and the occasional comedy routine are really my only criticisms of an otherwise great broadcast team

Yeah, "he hits this one to deep left field and it is GONE!" is kind of generic. It's not bad or good. It's just kinda there. But again, for 30 years Hawk's home run call was iconic so that's a pretty tough act to follow. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Stone allowing JB to call the final out gave me goosebumps. You could tell that was a lifelong dream of Benetti's, particularly because he grew up a Sox fan.

Stone has taken it to another level this year with the team being competitive with his in-game lessons, stories and predictions, something that was easily predictable for awhile now when some dopes were saying "bEnEtTi Is CoRnY." There is less time for jokes between them now. They are a GREAT tandem

Soxfan, why was Stoney calling the 9th? Does he do the 9th inning normally? My bad.

6 hours ago, lostfan said:

Yeah, "he hits this one to deep left field and it is GONE!" is kind of generic. It's not bad or good. It's just kinda there. But again, for 30 years Hawk's home run call was iconic so that's a pretty tough act to follow. 

I will say I do like when Benetti says "Bring.... him.... home!" which he should use as his trade mark. And this is coming from somebody who isn't a big fan of his.