Zack Collins to ATS, Madrigal recalled from IL

TomPickle

11 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

got ya, thanks

Yolmer and Goins on the roster seems a little redundant. I liked Collins on the roster for the sake of having a 3rd C to get McCann’s bat in the lineup more with Yaz at DH (or vice versa). He’s been heating up a little so guess Ricky is sticking with EE as full time DH.

Doesn't seem like Yolmer was actually called up. He will replace Goins.

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Unfortunately no third catcher means McCann and Grandal can't be in the same lineup anymore.

Which makes sense if there is a DH you’re committed to giving playing time to.  To me, Collins going down supports the idea of Vaughn coming up.  Goins serves no purpose on this roster with Madrigal back and Dyson as our late game pinch runner.

If McCann is re-signed next year, I think they need to trade Collins. The kid is already 25 and hasn't really started his career...he's being blocked and I think his potential, whatever that might be (does anyone really know?), will be wasted if he can't get a legitimate shot at playing consistently at the MLB level. 

Edited by ScooterMcGee

14 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

If McCann is re-signed next year, I think they need to trade Collins. The kid is already 25 and hasn't really started his career...he's being blocked and I think his potential, whatever that might be (does anyone really know?), will be wasted if he can't get a legitimate shot at playing consistently at the MLB level. 

I know it is a popular sentiment, but I would give up on the idea that we are resigning McCann.  Just about everything to do with our roster construction means that McCann isn't going to get the playing time he is going to want.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Unfortunately no third catcher means McCann and Grandal can't be in the same lineup anymore.

Grandal just plays 1B instead of DH (shift Abreu to DH) when McCann catches and its not a problem.  But Ricky seems intent on Grandal only playing 4-5 games a week, which is super fuc*ing dumb, but its Renteria so not surprising.  

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know it is a popular sentiment, but I would give up on the idea that we are resigning McCann.  Just about everything to do with our roster construction means that McCann isn't going to get the playing time he is going to want.

Purely hypothetical...if you could trade Vaughn for a TOR starter with 2+ years of control would you? 

Basically keep the lineup how it is except replace EE with a resigned McCann next year. Collins steps into a lesser version of McCann's role this year. 

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Purely hypothetical...if you could trade Vaughn for a TOR starter with 2+ years of control would you? 

Basically keep the lineup how it is except replace EE with a resigned McCann next year. Collins steps into a lesser version of McCann's role this year. 

Just because of how much easier it is to find a guy like Vaughn to play 1b or DH, I would be WAY more willing to deal him than I would our top level pitchers.  But on the other side of the coin, I don't think he would be valued as the centerpiece of a #1 starter who is under control for 2 or more years type of deal.