Sox vs KC 8/28 game thread 6:10 first pitch

Bad Hombre

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Nada.

I actually have read in a couple of places that MLB players are donating their salaries today in honor of Jackie Robinson so highly doubtful that game will be canceled...unless by Mother Nature that is.

29 minutes ago, Quin said:

Dear fucking lord. That'd be just shy of Ozzie Albies last season (4.6 fWAR).

@Harold's Leg Lift's texting all the GMs in the league, getting offers on Madrigal.

Projections don't mean anything with such a limited sample. Leury would be on pace for one of the top players in baseball if we projected his WAR prior to his injury. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

I always thought Mendick could be a Saladino role. He's a bit better offensively, worse defensively, but all around solid. That's still how I see him. The power is really nice to have.

He can be a 10 year utility player with his tool set.  If he was starting for you, you are probably looking for someone better, but you love a guy like that on your bench, especially if he can pick up some corner OF skills at a decent level.

There's really nothing in Mendick's performance so far that's flukey.  The defensive WAR is going to vary in such a small sample but the batting profile stabilizes quicker and he's only rocking a 290 BABIP.  FWIW ZIPS thinks he's essentially a league average hitter (wRC+ 99) ROS.  Mendick from all appearances is a league average 2B at the moment.  True talent level does go up and down (one of the lessons of the MVP Machine) but right now I feel fairly confident in pinning Mendick at league average starting 2B.

5 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

The Mendick love around here is absurd.  Come on Ricky.  I thought you didn't lose your job on this team because of injury?!?!

Mendick is doing a helluva fucking job at the plate and in the field.  He's saved runs and he's created them.  There's no reason to shit on the guy and frankly there's zero reason to think Madigral is a refined product capable of performing above Mendick.  That was evident on his boneheaded decision to try and take 3rd.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Mendick's batted ball profile isn't really inspiring, but I'm glad he'll be on the team for the next few years as a backup. I'm not mad about Madrigal not playing today, but he should be the starting 2B.

medwick.png

He's been a little lucky on some of his HRs but they are playing with a juiced ball at the Cell in August.  Ride him until it's obvious he's lost it.  There's zero reason to prefer Madrigal imo.

I'm not knocking Mendick at all, he has done all he could with the opportunity he's been given. It's been a long time since the White Sox were able to go to their third option at a position and still have a capable major league player. If Madrigal was giving the Sox the exact same level of play as Mendick I think most here would be pretty happy. If he's healthy though you have to give the guy you took 4th overall a shot until he proves he's not as good as Mendick. Hopefully Mendick does get a chance to work in the outfield a little bit because if he could be your backup at 2B, SS, 3B, and either LF or RF that would be really valuable.

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Mendick is doing a helluva fucking job at the plate and in the field.  He's saved runs and he's created them.  There's no reason to shit on the guy and frankly there's zero reason to think Madigral is a refined product capable of performing above Mendick.  That was evident on his boneheaded decision to try and take 3rd.  

I'm not shitting on him at all.  He's done great.  But as a temporary replacement.  Madrigal is healthy now and Mendick should go back to utility/back up.  And I think it's actually the opposite of what you say -- there's every reason to believe Madrigal will perform better going forward, and zero reason to believe that Mendick will.  Every scout in the world would agree.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I'm not shitting on him at all.  He's done great.  But as a temporary replacement.  Madrigal is healthy now and Mendick should go back to utility/back up.  And I think it's actually the opposite of what you say -- there's every reason to believe Madrigal will perform better going forward, and zero reason to believe that Mendick will.  Every scout in the world would agree.

In the words of the great Lloyd Carr: I like'em both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perfect Vision said:

The Mendick love around here is absurd.  Come on Ricky.  I thought you didn't lose your job on this team because of injury?!?!

Big Madrigal fan, but he had hardly earned that starting spot before getting hurt, lets be real.  Where as Mendick has most definitely earned the chance to continue starting until his play comes back down and or when Madrigal outplays him.  It is Mendick's spot to lose, not the other way around.

• Like 1