Sox vs KC 8/29 game thread 1:10 first pitch

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

My question was why is his fWAR so inflated if he’s essentially an average farmer this season? I was previously told the difference in a catcher’s bWAR and fWAR is due to framing.

I think a lot of that comes from a .356 OBP out of the catcher's spot for a lot of games. That's a positive wRC+ from a very weak position.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I think a lot of that comes from a .356 OBP out of the catcher's spot for a lot of games. That's a positive wRC+ from a very weak position.

Does bWAR use OPS instead of wOBA?

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Perhaps he should have been "day to day" when the final out was registered on Sunday at Wrigley, not now with a Twins series coming up, you fucking moron

Does that mean Mendick at 3rd?

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Does bWAR use OPS instead of wOBA?

That might explain it and would explain a lot to me too because I value OPS over some outsized weighting to wOBA. This makes much more sense than simply “framing” for the huge disparity in his WAR values over the years. Also reaffirms my opinion that fWAR has consistently overrated his value.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That might explain it and would explain a lot to me too because I value OPS over some outsized weighting to wOBA. This makes much more sense than simply “framing” for the huge disparity in his WAR values over the years. Also reaffirms my opinion that fWAR has consistently overrated his value.

I personally think wOBA does a much better job of displaying offensive contribution.  A guy who has a .800 OPS but only gets on at a .300 clip probably isn't as good as the guy with the .800 OPS, but gets on at a .350 rate.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I personally think wOBA does a much better job of displaying offensive contribution.  A guy who has a .800 OPS but only gets on at a .300 clip probably isn't as good as the guy with the .800 OPS, but gets on at a .350 rate.

I would agree if the OBP was largely attributed to a high batting average. Like a guy that hits .300 with a .350 OBP is much more valuable to me than a guy that hits .240 with a .350 OBP.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wonder if the Tigers don’t sell now. Only 4 games behind the Sox

They don't even have a real closer. I honestly don't see it. Maybe if they sweep the Twins tomorrow it might give them some false hope. 

Apparently the two worst teams in the ALC are not bad. Maybe it's a good division this year. I don't think Burdseye is ready for Covid league ball. Bring back Dunning. Reylo should back up Gonzo, who knows how to start. That would be an improvement. Maybe Rodon could help the bullpen. The old school Orioles made you earn a start except for Jim Palmer who was a young phenom in the World Series. 

Dunning to face lefty Kris Bubic Sunday who was slapped around against MN. No excuses. Notice that both the Tigs and Royals have taken it to the Twinks. This division is waiting to be had.

I didn’t watch the game today. Did Burdi miss his spots and have bad command? How was the speed on his pitches? It just looked like a rough day for the pitching staff from the box score, I missed this game today. Burdi is from my hometown so I was just curious.

6 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I didn’t watch the game today. Did Burdi miss his spots and have bad command? How was the speed on his pitches? It just looked like a rough day for the pitching staff from the box score, I missed this game today. Burdi is from my hometown so I was just curious.

Velocity wasn't down. 

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

another dunce. Welcome to the dunce party gus - a guy who doesn't understand a starters role vs a high lev reliever.

Aw sick, where's the drink table? Do I have to socially distance at the dunce party?