Sox vs KC 8/29 game thread 1:10 first pitch

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yup and still made it interesting despite playing as bad as they can. 

And I will admit as a Madrigal fan that I wanted Mendick to stay in the lineup...I was wrong.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Calling it now. Sox aren't gonna do a damn thing in the playoffs with Renteria managing them. He is that god awful.

I am consoled by the fact that Ned Yost won a World Series.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Calling it now. Sox aren't gonna do a damn thing in the playoffs with Renteria managing them. He is that god awful.

imagine Cease walking everybody, because you know that's coming.  we desperately need a starter.  Cease is a #4 right now, and Lopez isnt even good enough to be in the rotation

Just now, joesaiditstrue said:

that AB by Grandal was about as bad as I've ever seen.  yeah it was a great curveball, but he didn't even go into protect mode.  fucking really dude.  hoping McCann plays tomorrow

I disliked the Yas signing when it happened. He makes McCann ride the bench and he puts together a ton of shitty ABs. Totally overrated.

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Yup I don't trust him to make the right decisions in close games.

Was Mazara on the IL at the beginning of the season because of Covid?  He seems to be grounding out weakly alot and when he does hit it in the air it seems to be just lazy fly balls nowhere even near the warning track.

32 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He's +0.6, so not really. He was +17 last year. McCann has been a +0.2 this year, which is a huge improvement over last year.

So explain this to me then. Why is his bWAR only 0.2 while his fWAR is 0.8? If his framing is barely above average why such the disparity? I’m not sure there is another player in baseball that fangraphs overrates more, honestly.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Was Mazara on the IL at the beginning of the season because of Covid?  He seems to be grounding out weakly alot and when he does hit it in the air it seems to be just lazy fly balls nowhere even near the warning track.

Yes. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dallas Kong said:

I disliked the Yas signing when it happened. He makes McCann ride the bench and he puts together a ton of shitty ABs. Totally overrated.

eh. it was a great signing.  it's just that this 60 game/extended playoff season has put the sox in a strange position where they find themselves unprepared in a lot of different situations.  ideally I'd have McCann/Grandall/Abreu playing 6 games a week, and you alternate DH and catcher depending on who's pitching.  EE just isnt worth having in the lineup over James McCann, james has much better at bats 

McCann is worth almost a full fWAR and he doesn't even play much.  EE is sitting at just below 0.0 (in the negative)

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Because it looks like whatever adjustments they tried to have him make has ruined his swing.

1 minute ago, joesaiditstrue said:

eh. it was a great signing.  it's just that this 60 game/extended playoff season has put the sox in a strange position where they find themselves unprepared in a lot of different situations.  ideally I'd have McCann/Grandall/Abreu playing 6 games a week, and you alternate DH and catcher depending on who's pitching.  EE just isnt worth having in the lineup over James McCann, james has much better at bats 

McCann is worth almost a full fWAR and he doesn't even play much.  EE is sitting at just below 0.0 (in the negative)

We'll see about that before the end. A whole lot of his value has always been tied up in framing and we're not really getting that right now.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So explain this to me then. Why is his bWAR only 0.2 while his fWAR is 0.8? If his framing is barely above average why such the disparity? I’m not sure there is another player in baseball that fangraphs overrates more, honestly.

Maybe the Brewers and Dodgers just do things differently than we do. But yeah, so far he hasn't really impressed. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Maybe the Brewers and Dodgers just do things differently than we do. But yeah, so far he hasn't really impressed. 

My question was why is his fWAR so inflated if he’s essentially an average farmer this season? I was previously told the difference in a catcher’s bWAR and fWAR is due to framing.

3 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I am not looking forward to Ricky’s bullpen management in the playoffs 😑

I remember a team once that had 4 complete games in a row in the playoffs to take the bullpen equation totally out of the picture...I'll have to look up who that was. ^_^

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

They are both good catchers....but my personal preference is McCann.