Padres Acquire Clevinger per Multiple Reports

bmags

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think your first 3 are right, I just don't think Kopech is the right stand-in for arias. I think it would just be a different package. Kopech/Engel/(Thompson or Dalquist)/some position player they were high on.

I agree. Hell, I think Kopech would be pretty high too. I think you would maybe put Vaughn in, if that. None of the prospects given up were Top 5 in the Padres system. But Clevinger also isn't thatttt great.

Just now, nitetrain8601 said:

I agree. Hell, I think Kopech would be pretty high too. I think you would maybe put Vaughn in, if that. None of the prospects given up were Top 5 in the Padres system. But Clevinger also isn't thatttt great.

it's a weird trade...I'm kinda surprised Cleveland was that serious about getting MLB talent back over probably better pieces? Maybe this was the best deal though.

Just now, bmags said:

it's a weird trade...I'm kinda surprised Cleveland was that serious about getting MLB talent back over probably better pieces? Maybe this was the best deal though.

Cleveland's been doing this for a while. They're always competitive but their ownership group is too cheap to keep any of their big name guys. So they gotta retool and compete at the same time. Hell of a job by their FO tbh, given their financial constraints. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah SD gave up a shit ton for a good, not great, pitcher

I do like it in one way though. They know their window is 5-6 years before Tatis signs elsewhere along with their other good, young players. Go for it when you can, I suppose

They do get Clevinger for 2 full additional seasons though. Proven starter for 2.5 seasons? You pay a lot for those years of control, we should know that because we demonstrated it.

Just now, Nokona said:

Yesterday afternoon you had people saying the Tribe have to get Robert in a trade for Clevinger.

I don't see how you can see this as anything but a coup for the Pads

I think if you are a pads fan you are thrilled, but it also doesn't mean the Indians got hosed. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Weirdly, whether or not they could move Lindor might play into that. If they don't think anyone is going to pay the price to trade for Lindor this offseason (and with the mess that is MLB's finances, who wants to trade for him and extend him?), then MLB pieces to help this year and next year are their best shots.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it was the best deal. Immediate upgrade in the OF and some young, high-end talent behind that. Quantrill is actually an improvement from where Clevinger was at this year. He should do well for them. So they get younger and cheaper and don't skip out on competing.

Edit - they also get away from the headache that Clevinger caused for them and any resulting clubhouse friction. Huge win for them IMO.

Edited by daggins

Cleveland view:  You replace Clevinger with Plesac.  Get a young bat in Naylor who helps now.  Quantrill helps now and was highly regarded and young.  Prospects you get a good left prospect and a Lindor replacement(not saying as good)

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

Cleveland view:  You replace Clevinger with Plesac.  Get a young bat in Naylor who helps now.  Quantrill helps now and was highly regarded and young.  Prospects you get a good left prospect and a Lindor replacement(not saying as good)

Yeah Arias is definitely not Lindor, but I guess they figure they can use the Lindor money to plug some other holes.

34 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the Sox  traded Giolito because he went out one night for a similar package, I think I would be kind of pissed.

This wasn't just "out for one night".  This was a guy who lectured people on taking care of themselves and protecting their teammates, and then went out, and then when he should have owned up to it, pretending nothing happened while his teammate Pleasac guy buried, and didn't say anything until he was finally outed later on.  These guys go to war together, and if multiple guys were ready to quit sooner than play with him again, that is pretty telling at the fact that the organizations hands were forced.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, chisoxt said:

For Kopech to be mentioned on trade talks I wonder if the Sox weren’t privately pissed about his opt out decision despite 

So yet another MLB-NBA org uses a Reinsdorf-run org for leverage.

What a surprise.

No way in hell would Cleveland be that stupid to trade a pitcher of that caliber to the Sox.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, daggins said:

I think an equivalent might be something like Cease / Collins / Engel for the MLB component. For the prospects, well, we don't really have a comparable farm system to SD.

Quantrill was never rated close to Cease as a prospect. Basically a B-/B prospect compared to an A-/A.  Naylor was rated close to or as a top 100 prospect a year ago so and is still only 23, not sure that is a good comparison either. I guess maybe they'd even each other out, but I don't think the Pads gave up anyone at Cease's level

Edited by Vulture

I think that is a good deal for the Padres. Naylor can hit but he is more of a dh stretched to OF and doesn't get to his power because he hits on the ground too much. Quantrill has potential but is 25 and has not performed that well in the minors.

From the Indians side quantrill makes sense because they have extremely good pitcher development and could find an extra gear. 

They should have gotten a legitimate outfielder though and not a guy that likely is a DH soon.

The Padres could of course regret trading quantrill, with the right coaching he could become really good. Trading cantillo and Owen was smart though because they are rule 5 eligible after 21 so better trade them now as long they have value (they are unlikely to be mlb ready in 22 with the lost minor league season this year.

Edited by Dominikk85

1 hour ago, bmags said:

weird I thought they traded Cantillo yesterday. Interesting package, reminds me of the Rangers deals where they were sending a bunch of 101-250 guys out for packages like Hamels.

edit: Quantrill is pretty good, as is Naylor. Just not the top line talent I was expecting.

I think Cantillo is close to a top line talent. IMO he is under ranked due to the conservative nature of most of the ranking systems. For example, Robert and Dunning have recently been underrated imo, in their cases due to health issues. Im sorry, Robert was a top 5 MLB prospect from the moment he signed, but he didnt produce one year so they hedge their bets although the actual potential never changed. Dunning dropped after TJS but obviously the potential didn't actually fade. In Cantillo's case, I believe he is underrated simply due to inertia. They don't want to say a guy is a top 100 prospect when a couple years ago he wasn't on their radar. But IMO, he is a top 100 prospect. Knowing the Indians, he'll probably be another stud in their rotation

Edited by Vulture

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Padres fans should love this deal. Got a controllable pitcher without giving up main prospects.

Still won't beat out LA though.

Hopefully FTJR tires out of it and comes back home to play with lil Bro when he hits FA ...LOL

Edited by GradMc

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

2 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Cantillo 9th ranked in their system

Arias 7th

Miller 11th

Quantrill MLB

Hedges MLB

Naylor MLB

Padres still retain core of their young pitching prospects, which are Gore, Patino, Morejon, Baez, Weathers.

Quantrill 5th starter, swingman.

Miller is a bit like a gritty Madrigal/Hoerner fringy 2B but without the upside of those two.  Illinois Stater.  Overachiever.

Hedges couldn’t hit his way out of a paper bag but great defender.  Interesting how Padres now have Mejia...who was Indians’ top ranked prospect and catcher. Mejia needs/needed everyday playing time or to be shipped out/traded/AAA. Mejia the LH bat who should now get more opportunities unless they make yet another move or PTBNL is a veteran catcher.  Poor overall defender but cannon for an arm.  Reminds me a bit of Miguel Olivo.

Naylor has upside but hasn't translated offensive potential into high MLB power numbers.  800ish ops, not a great defender in corner OF, more a DH or 1B. 

They killed (so far) the Grisham for Urias deal...Milwaukee GM seldom gets taken to the cleaners.  

Lots of names Involved here, but none really stand out at all.    Emergence of Cronenworth has mitigated the need for guys like Naylor and France, and they seem determined to push forward with veteran Profar due to experience and versatility, perhaps better clubhouse chemistry/fit.

Edited by caulfield12