Padres Acquire Clevinger per Multiple Reports

bmags

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Through 2022

You think that's long enough? I don't want him walking after only that short a time and then Kopech haunt us for years in our division. If this happens, they better make Clevinger haunt Cleveland for years in the division. 

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wouldn’t even trade him for Tatis given no extension and positional need on the Sox

Acuna basically the closest. But yeah...at this point hard to say why even though Acuna May be poised to be a bit better

Just now, Soxsi75 said:

You think that's long enough? I don't want him walking after only that short a time and then Kopech haunt us for years in our division. If this happens, they better make Clevinger haunt Cleveland for years in the division. 

Not sure how I would feel about such a trade to be honest, but that deal really helps us this year and for the next two.  It would definitely put a lot of pressure on Crotchett and/or Kelley to develop into TOR starters as we’d lose Clevinger after the 2022 season & Giolito after the 2023 season.  I’d definitely prefer if you can get him a quantity based package, but that remains to be seen.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Especially when he feels “compelled” to write a full article on it.

We have multiple reporters saying they are talking, including rosenthal. Doesn’t mean it happens but clearly it isn’t made up.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not sure how I would feel about such a trade to be honest, but that deal really helps us this year and for the next two.  It would definitely put a lot of pressure on Crotchett and/or Kelley to develop into TOR starters as we’d lose Clevinger after the 2022 season & Giolito after the 2023 season.  I’d definitely prefer if you can get him a quantity based package, but that remains to be seen.

I hate to say this.....because it has been exciting......but this year truthfully doesn't really matter. This is one big preseason. 60 games, ridiculously uneven schedule, 7 inning doubleheaders, starting with a man on second in extra innings.... I hope they win as much as possible this year......but no matter what happens there will be a TRIPLE asterisk next to this season. I'm looking for the White Sox to be a powerhouse NEXT year. And if Clevinger then is only here two years?......I agree with you, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it either. I can see good and bad. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s so hard to time starting pitching with contending. FA would be great, but we saw how even with Wheeler having the top offer didn’t guarantee getting them.  Next years FA class kinda sucks, and we don’t know how the Sox will fare in a bidding war with Reinsdorf.

Clevinger being available is about as good as we’ll find, and we are absolutely now contenders. We need to make sure we maximize what we know now and not be so concerned about 2025. We have 5 years to figure that out and draft/sign guys to prepare.

• Like 2

Just now, Soxsi75 said:

I hate to say this.....because it has been exciting......but this year truthfully doesn't really matter. This is one big preseason. 60 games, ridiculously uneven schedule, 7 inning doubleheaders, starting with a man on second in extra innings.... I hope they win as much as possible this year......but no matter what happens there will be a TRIPLE asterisk next to this season. I'm looking for the White Sox to be a powerhouse NEXT year. And if Clevinger then is only here two years?......I agree with you, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it either. I can see good and bad. 

Think it’s time sox fans stop getting as excited about counting contract years and start thinking about making each of the next five years as close to guaranteed playoffs as possible.

• Love 1

Just now, bmags said:

Think it’s time sox fans stop getting as excited about counting contract years and start thinking about making each of the next five years as close to guaranteed playoffs as possible.

I agree if Clevinger will be here 5 years. But if he walks in 2 and Kopech is haunting us after that, then we aren't guaranteeing the playoffs for 5 years. We'd be actually hurting ourselves. That's what makes this tough. 

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Rangers get Kopech and Flores

Indians get Gallo

Sox get Clevinger

If it happened, that's my guess.

Indians gotta get something more here but guessing you are talking main oueces