Padres Acquire Clevinger per Multiple Reports

bmags

4 minutes ago, quickman said:

So I assume nobody is paying attention to “not steve cischeks quote? Forgive me i am Old now and don’t know have to navigate this site.

Not Steve has been on point for the most part since his account was made. He stuck his neck out on what he said for the first time, so he’s legit or a fake if something doesn’t happen tonight. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It’s so hard to time starting pitching with contending. FA would be great, but we saw how even with Wheeler having the top offer didn’t guarantee getting them.  Next years FA class kinda sucks, and we don’t know how the Sox will fare in a bidding war with Reinsdorf.

Clevinger being available is about as good as we’ll find, and we are absolutely now contenders. We need to make sure we maximize what we know now and not be so concerned about 2025. We have 5 years to figure that out and draft/sign guys to prepare.

Those are all good points and Clevinger is a much better fit for 2020 to 2022 than Kopech.

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

Is a soon to be 30 year old Clevinger with only 2 years of control left worth Kopech++?

Doesn't really matter how old he is when you are already in the window of contention. I wouldn't want Cleveland to have Kopech though, that is for sure.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Think it’s time sox fans stop getting as excited about counting contract years and start thinking about making each of the next five years as close to guaranteed playoffs as possible.

Amen ! I ve felt like a preacher lately pounding my fist on the pulpit about this and that this season means just as much in the window as any of them. Maybe more since making the playoffs is a lock. No matter how good we look on paper in the coming years the playoffs are not a lock.