Trade Watch Rumor

bmags

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Well, you can also argue that you have to strike early on the front end of this window knowing you have some guys that are only under team control for the next 3-4 years like Abreu, Giollito, and Anderson.  It's never too early to start contending for a championship.  

Thats fair for sure.

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

It wouldn't be 6 years of Kopech.

And god, the "12 years combined" stuff. is maybe the worst new measure sox fans have. Again, what if Kopech is still working on command next year and stiever is a dud? Does the 6 years mean anything at that point? I swear the new banner for this board should just be sox fans fondling a 2024 calendar

I get the 12 years is stupid but to say that is wrong. Who’s to say Lynn doesn’t fall apart. Arrieta had 2 good years and started to fall and he’s younger than him. You can’t say the prospects may suck yet say Lynn is a guaranteed stud. Come on, you know better

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

And god, the "12 years combined" stuff. is maybe the worst new measure sox fans have. Again, what if Kopech is still working on command next year and stiever is a dud? Does the 6 years mean anything at that point? I swear the new banner for this board should just be sox fans fondling a 2024 calendar.

Why can’t I have both. And what do I care if it takes Kopech until 2022 to be a stud. That is still worth it’s weight in gold. There is zero reason to be crazy urgent this season unless there is a stellar deal to be made (meaning well below market pricing). 

• Like 1

I say we sell. Lets get rid of Gio,Dallas,Abreu,McCann,Eloy and Moncada. Then in 2029 we can argue about not trading prospects again and how wide open our window is when the team is playing well/but not worthy of injecting more talent into. It'll be fun. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Why can’t I have both. And what do I care if it takes Kopech until 2022 to be a stud. That is still worth it’s weight in gold. There is zero reason to be crazy urgent this season unless there is a stellar deal to be made (meaning well below market pricing). 

I'm not shopping kopech for anyone, but yes I would trade Kopech for Mike Clevinger. There is no guarantee a player as good as him becomes available when we need it, he has multiple years of control, and is not still working on control like Kopech is (nor has he missed 2 years of competition.)

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

With 3/5 of your rotation struggling to get thru 5 innings in 2021, this place will have a total meltdown here by mid May when they realize Ricky has burned the bullpen out.  

Cease and especially Lopez have been very disappointing so far.  Had one of those guys taken that #3 role and taken off with pitching efficient innings, the comfort level going forward would not be one of needing to sell off part of the future right now for an established starter. 

Edited by HOFHurt35

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

With 3/5 of your rotation struggling to get thru 5 innings in 2021, this place will have a total meltdown here by mid May when they realize Ricky has burned the bullpen out.  

Cease and especially Lopez have been very disappointing so far.  Had one of those guys taken that #3 role and taken off with pitching efficient innings, the comfort level going forward would not be one of needing to sell of the future right now for an established starter. 

It is what it is but I’d sure rather have Ryu than Grandal right now. Then we wouldn’t be talking about starting pitching at all.

• Like 3

I think trading Kopech could turn into the Tigers trading Smoltz for Doyle Alexander. Alexander was pretty old but he was also good with the Tigers. He was 9-0 in 11 starts in 1987 when they traded for him. They won the divison but were eliminated quickly in the playoffs. Smoltz would have been better. 

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Been pretty quiet on the Marte/Bradley front.  Would the dbacks really not trade those guys today?  They're clearly not going to the playoffs this year and, with the Dodgers and Padres in their division, probably not next year either.

I think I saw the Marlins were exploring Bradley earlier but that was it 

56 minutes ago, bmags said:

And god, the "12 years combined" stuff. is maybe the worst new measure sox fans have. Again, what if Kopech is still working on command next year and stiever is a dud? Does the 6 years mean anything at that point? I swear the new banner for this board should just be sox fans fondling a 2024 calendar.

I agree. if you look at trading only one of them. If you include 2 of them then you need to account for the other one they trade away. Go ahead and trade away the furute for 2 years of a run. It doesn't matter if Stiever is a bum in your scenario because if the pitcher they acquire has only 1 1/2 of control, he'll be gone anyway.

And yes, we waited 4-5 years for the rebuild and I don't want 2 years of competitive teams. I want the team to be competitive in 2024 and beyond.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the nightmare scenario is we try to hard to push the front end of the run up a year or two, and we end up giving away the wave that would have put us over the top.  I mean it isn't hard to blink and see us giving up a big package for someone like Lynn, for example.  Then if we don't do it in 20 or 21, because are still a bit overmatched and under-experienced, we get to 22 and Lynn is gone, as are all of the assets we gave up to get him.  It isn't hard to squint and see Kopech as an all-star starting pitcher during that time frame, and maybe even better than Lynn or whoever we give him up for.    So then we get to the point where we have neither player, but are still trying to win something.

I don't think the Sox would have to give up Kopech or Dunning to acquire Lynn considering he's only signed through next year. A package of secondary prospects starting with Steiver might do it

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I agree. if you look at trading only one of them. If you include 2 of them then you need to account for the other one they trade away. Go ahead and trade away the furute for 2 years of a run. It doesn't matter if Stiever is a bum in your scenario because if the pitcher they acquire has only 1 1/2 of control, he'll be gone anyway.

And yes, we waited 4-5 years for the rebuild and I don't want 2 years of competitive teams. I want the team to be competitive in 2024 and beyond.

Beyond? 5 years competitively would be awesome. Hell even 4 years. Let's not ahead of ourselves. 

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not shopping kopech for anyone, but yes I would trade Kopech for Mike Clevinger. There is no guarantee a player as good as him becomes available when we need it, he has multiple years of control, and is not still working on control like Kopech is (nor has he missed 2 years of competition.)

The problem is Kopech alone won't do it. If it was only one of thier pitchers, I would be for it too. However, the reports out there is that is will be multiple. They will have an offense and a bad pitching staff in 2 years as all of the recent drafts are HS pitchers and are years away from making it to the MLB let alone being competitive.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If we're not competitive in 2024, it won't be because we traded away a guy in 2020, it will be because our scouting, drafting, and INTL fell off a cliff (a la the cubs). The dodgers 4 years ago drafted Gavin Lux, 4 years prior to that they drafted Corey Seager. They were a playoff team through all of that. They can now trade away lux for whatever they want or have a new 3b post Turner. Sox can't stop the pipeline.

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

I don't think the Sox would have to give up Kopech or Dunning to acquire Lynn considering he's only signed through next year. A package of secondary prospects starting with Steiver might do it

If this were true it would be a great deal for the Sox.