Trade Watch Rumor

bmags

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's year one of being a contender.  This is a part of the program.  Guys need to get experience.  It won't be pretty at times, but this is a part of the rebuild process.  You got the Ferrari, now you need to figure out how to drive it.

eh, disagree. I'm out to win playoff games, not trying to get some experience in some hopes he's still a good pitcher on a team that has a run. Winning playoff games is fun.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

It's year one of being a contender.  This is a part of the program.  Guys need to get experience.  It won't be pretty at times, but this is a part of the rebuild process.  You got the Ferrari, now you need to figure out how to drive it.

I think the argument would pass for a rebuilding team which all of a sudden was flirting with a WC position.   But based on the huge steps taken by a few guys here, this team is another SP away right now to be a serious contender to walk away with a trophy at the end. 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Well I'm glad we can just blow games and years in the playoffs for that matter. What a nice luxury to have! Maybe someday we'll take it seriously. 

I think the only people "not taking this seriously" are the ones who think we put this team together without intending to let them learn on the job.  Players taking their lumps IS a part of the process.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I don't think anyone is not wanting to give Cease time.  Cease is fine right now being a #4 or #5 an possibly not getting a start in the playoffs right now.  

Getting some exposure to the playoffs is exactly what I want for as many of the youngsters as possible out of this year. If we want to come back and be a force in the playoffs in the next couple years, experience this year will be an important step on the way. 

I said this in another post last night, but think about this - the teams that have conducted major rebuilds - every one of them has had some playoff experience/disappointment before they won their title. The Cubs, the Astros, the Royals - the last team to win the world series after a multi-year gap in playoff appearances to retool a team was the 2010 Giants. It's tough to go through the playoffs with a team that hasn't been there before these days.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the only people "not taking this seriously" are the ones who think we put this team together without intending to let them learn on the job.  Players taking their lumps IS a part of the process.

He's doing that right now. We don't need him doing that in the playoffs. This team deserves better than to have Cease go out there and have 4 homers launched into the stands. 

He needs to get his stuff right now and he isn't. How the hell is that going to change going against Stanton in one of the most important games of their lives? 

Edited by Baron

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

eh, disagree. I'm out to win playoff games, not trying to get some experience in some hopes he's still a good pitcher on a team that has a run. Winning playoff games is fun.

Sure.  And we are a much better franchise going forward with a guy like Cease learning how to be a playoff pitcher versus someone of a lesser ilk who will be gone in a year or two.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Getting some exposure to the playoffs is exactly what I want for as many of the youngsters as possible out of this year. If we want to come back and be a force in the playoffs in the next couple years, experience this year will be an important step on the way. 

I said this in another post last night, but think about this - the teams that have conducted major rebuilds - every one of them has had some playoff experience/disappointment before they won their title. The Cubs, the Astros, the Royals - the last team to win the world series after a multi-year gap in playoff appearances to retool a team was the 2010 Giants. It's tough to go through the playoffs with a team that hasn't been there before these days.

I agree, but this is like a Unicorn season.  Anything can happen.   Guys could get sick during the playoffs where all of a sudden the WS could be there for the taking. 

Edited by HOFHurt35

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

Trade deadline hits and people are in a panic to give up promising players for mediocre short term plugs. 

I'm a little surprised to see how willing many are to deal away from our limited minor league depth at this stage of the contention window as well. 

While guys like Stiever are far from untouchable, you really need to have that SP depth in your system moving forward due to injuries. I'd be cautious about trading close to the MLB talent right now. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think people understand how improbable the '05 Sox team was.

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

He's doing that right now. We don't need him doing that in the playoffs. This team deserves better than to have Cease go out there and have 4 homers launched into the stands. 

Cease is going to be far from the only who gets his ass kicked in the playoffs.  Every single guy on his roster, outside of a few newer signings, will be learning how to be a playoff player at playoff intensity.  I know Cease is the target du jour, but reality is none of these guys are "ready" for the playoffs until they actually experience the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I agree, but this is like a Unicorn season.  Anything can happen.   Guys could get sick during the playoffs were all of a sudden the WS could be there for the taking. 

Or we could trade a ton for a guy, one of our guys gets sick, and now we're wondering why we paid a high price for a player during this season.

He'd probably still be used out of the bullpen or get a start or two from the fourth spot if he can out pitch Dunning the rest of the way. I don't see good teams sacrificing in the playoffs to give a young player experience. He can get experience in '21 if he can gain control of his mechanics.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Cease is going to be far from the only who gets his ass kicked in the playoffs.  Every single guy on his roster, outside of a few newer signings, will be learning how to be a playoff player at playoff intensity.  I know Cease is the target du jour, but reality is none of these guys are "ready" for the playoffs until they actually experience the playoffs.

Here's the problem. He can't replicate his pitches in the regular season. We have alot of guys that are not having trouble hitting or pitching right now. Them struggling wouldn't be a big deal. Come back next year and try again. But for him we still don't even know if he can actually be a starter. Hows getting mashed in the playoffs going to help that? 

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure.  And we are a much better franchise going forward with a guy like Cease learning how to be a playoff pitcher versus someone of a lesser ilk who will be gone in a year or two.

Lesser ilk? Lynn has a 9.6 WAR since the beginning of 2019. If Cease ever gets to that level, it will be a massive success. Add Lynn and the Sox have a good chance of going all the way, and sets them up nicely for '21 at a budget price. Getting bumped out of the playoff rotation isn't going to hurt Cease long term

Edited by Vulture

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Or we could trade a ton for a guy, one of our guys gets sick, and now we're wondering why we paid a high price for a player during this season.

OR

We could NOT trade a guy that is going to get sick and infect multiple members of the team and collapse and miss the playoffs, but if we DID trade him then the White Sox would have gone on to win the World Series.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Ray would have been a roll of the dice with how terrible he has pitched in 2020. Not sure he ever made sense to the Sox

Roll of the dice, sure.  But he's historically been an average pitcher, and worst case you throw him in the pen or DFA him.  Acquisiton price would have been cheap.  Having insurance isn't a bad thing.  But moot point now.  

Just now, Baron said:

Here's the problem. He can't replicate his pitches in the regular season. We have alot of guys that are not having trouble hitting or pitching right now. Them struggling wouldn't be a big deal. Come back next year and try again. But for him we still don't even know if he can actually be a starter. Hows getting mashed in the playoffs going to help that? 

Again, if he fails in the playoffs this year, he won't be the only one.  I could start naming names of guys I am suspicious of, but it kind of pointless.  The time to protect these guys has passed, unless you really don't believe in them in the future.  The franchise will be much better for not shitting themselves over being scared to let these guys play when it matters most.  They got you here, you ride them through. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Roll of the dice, sure.  But he's historically been an average pitcher, and worst case you throw him in the pen or DFA him.  Acquisiton price would have been cheap.  Having insurance isn't a bad thing.  But moot point now.  

I get that^

I just do not think Ray would change or fortunes all that much

• Like 1