Dane Dunning - Expectations now and going forward

ron883

With Lopez's issues and Cease's intermittent issues, Dunning is very valuable to this team.  He's shown that he can go out and give you 5 strong innings, striking out a bunch of guys.  As he gets stretched out and is allowed to throw more pitches, he might get 6 innings.  Being a strikeout pitcher means he'll throw more pitches anyway.

Beyond 2020, I think he easily fits in as the #3/#4 starter on this team.  His stuff is nasty with so much movement coupled with his great control.  He doesn't need the big fastball.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vulture said:

Giolito alone has made the trade a winner.

15 hours ago, oldsox said:

It looks like he makes the Eaton trade a clear winner, instead of just a good trade.

Getting rid of Eaton itself for anything made it a clear winner. The team with Eaton, LaRoche and their 13 year old child leader was the hardest team to watch and cheer for, regardless of W/L record. 

14 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think I finally believe that Kenny Williams has turned the keys over to RH.  Dunning is a guy that KW moves at the deadline for a reliever.  

Or Todd Frazier (yet again) to fill in for a lengthy Moncada absence. Prefer the solid defense Yolmer provides for late game substitutions and fill-in flexibility he provides, was happy with this signing.

Hahn did a good job signing Cubans and his tanking trades, but the jury is out on whether he can make trades to move a contender up the ladder (Thinking the Peavy and Samardzija trades). Would have preferred two complete (bat and field) Outfielders and shifting Jimenez to DH vs. EE and Grandal.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

17 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Dunning throws strikes, Lopez does not.

Dunning is a #4/5 on a quality team, a valuable rotation piece, but his stuff is unlikely to ever make him more than a mid rotation arm

17 hours ago, Perfect Vision said:

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm sure people have said the same thing about Kyle Hendricks his entire career.

And Mark Buehrle.

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

Also there is the chance that, like Matt Cooper, one year Dunning walks in throwing 95 mph and suddenly becomes a game changing pitcher.

Dunning throws strikes and has plus control, something I feel is huge in helping a pitcher stick in a starting rotation. 

I think fans will be really glad we held onto Dunning instead of dealing him. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...