Sox "hold steady" at deadline

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, Chris Sale said:

Agree with this - Marte would have been nice and we could have beaten that package

I'm wondering if the Dbacks asked for a piece that was part of our final offer for Lynn, but Hahn thought JD would cave in the end so he couldn't pull the plug to go harder after Marte.

We are making the playoffs and I am one of those fans that think 3 primary starters are what is needed.  We have two and Dunning gives me hope.  This trade deadline was for me about getting an affordable front liner or...hold the line with what we have.

Better for the future for sure. Clearly going to let the current team get their "playoff experience moment" this year in without going for it. Honestly would rather they pursue a deal this offseason and get exactly what they like or sign a FA, then Hahn to have panicked.

Rangers are the stupid ones here, not the Sox. 

• Like 3

I think allowing Rick Hahn to do a rebuild and do it his way is showing why he was considered so highly as a "GM Prospect" way back when. Not pulling the trigger on unloading a Vaughn, Kopech, Madrigal, Cease or Dunning could pay off huge dividends for this team. I admire the patience, and I admire their valuation of their premium talent. Obviously, the White Sox are now confident in their abilities to get the most out of their players, and given the ceilings for the 5 guys I mentioned, I would want to keep them, too! 

Many people probably still hate him, but man are things looking good around here... and I think he deserves a lot of credit. KW, too. He is RH's boss and obviously is 100% onboard with this. Kudos, gentlemen. Winning a WS this year would just be icing on the cake of a soon to be amazing decade of Sox baseball.

Edited by South Sider

2 hours ago, Perfect Vision said:

I don't really mind that they didn't trade for Lynn.  The move that they missed was Bradley.  He would have fit nicely into an 8th inning role (Marshall back to the 7th and Bummer as your "bullpen ace") and could have taken over as closer next year.  And they could have acquired him for a prospect or two that we wouldn't have blinked over.

Totally agree. Bradley would have been really nice. I totally expected them to go get another arm for the pen, especially from the left side. If Bummer doesn't come back (which seems likely), this team is rolling into the playoffs with Jace Fry and Ross Detwiler as your LHP options out of the pen. YIKES. Other options in case either of them goes down with an injury? Jacob Lindgren, Bennet Sousa, or Kodi Medeiros. Any you still have Gonzalez who might be bouncing between starting or relief work. I highly doubt we see them call-up Crochett.

I thought it was good discipline by Hahn. Shop around to see if there is a way to improve for now, but don't give away something you'll regret. Too many unknown variables this year. Use the off-season to improve. A FA starter is so much more attractive, when it means keeping and developing young depth. Cease, Dunning, Kopech, Lopez fighting for two spots next year is a great scenario. All need more time in their own way before they are inserted into the top half of a contending rotation.

• Like 1

Seems like a mixed bag of response. Twitter is a dumpster fire of people saying we shoulda made trades. At the end of the day I go back to a few principles....

if we were going to trade for an impact player we were going to give up something of value (unless you acquired Clevinger for free like the Padres haha), so who was this board willing to give up? Kopech at a depressed value? Rodon at almost no value? Dunning who probably has a very nice floor and is controllable? Vaughn? Madrigal? Like who were we trading? I find it hard to say let's give up a piece and acquire Lynn for example. You then do what? go to the ALCS this year? Lose? Win? Go to the World Series? Play in a bubble in Texas or Milwaukee with no fans in a werid world series and lose? hey, you actually won it? You go to the bar -- wait, no scratch taht, you sit at home and watch the game and celebrate a game with no fans in a fake season? You do that and then watch Kopech go throw darts for 4 years on another team while Lance Lynn is gone after next? Like what was the upside here? For Lance Lynn? Come on, he was available for 3 years and 30 million just the offseason before this. these aren't guys who change your franchise... the names out there outside of clevinger are names like quintana who aren't worth the price of your top guys. You don't make that move in 2020, hell I might not even make it in 2021. No reason to peak early -- theres a long game here. Sit back and wait. there's going to be a bunch of cheap owners hurting this offseason looking to unload contracts. this is the type of offseason you can probably add an Arenado type contract to the books for absolutely no talent. You can go sign Bauer. You can go do a lot of things .... let's see a bit more of what we have in guys and THEN you go out and get the big names. in my opinion there was one total guy worth going after this whole trade deadline - and that was clevinger. outside of that, let's see what we have in the offseason. 

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Dangling Rodon is a trick that won't work anymore. He might have two more innings in him this season.

Two more innings in his career.

Like Carson Fulmer, they peaked in college and the Sox failed to do their homework on their overuse by win at all costs coaches.

I can still hear the sound of champaign corks popping on Clark and Addison when Rodon was selected ahead of Schwarber.

I'm gonna damn them faint praise by acknowledging the Sox brain-trust probably didn't who the hell Schwarber was.

It is interesting a lot of changes in that scouting department began after that draft.

Edited by GradMc

2 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Totally agree, JD is an idiot and was clearly asking for way too much for Lynn.

The Marte trade, though, is the one I think that got away. I think we could have beaten that package without too much pain and he would have been a great fix for RF until we can find a long-term option. 

I think you have to give mazara a chance.  We just traded for him.  Cant throw in the towel after only 70 plate appearances

5 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Like Carson Fulmer, they peaked in college and the Sox failed to do their homework on their overuse by win at all costs coaches.

I can still hear the sound of champaign corks popping on Clark and Addison when Rodon was selected ahead of Schwarber.

I'm gonna damn them faint praise by acknowledging the Sox brain-trust probably didn't who the hell Schwarber was.

It is interesting a lot of changes in that scouting department began after that draft.

I'm just going to respond so i can make note of this one. time stamp if you will. Rodon has nasty stuff. He will succeed if health allows. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Holy hot takes batman. This is about neckdeep in revisionist history. 

We’re talking about...Vanderbilt, 

17 minutes ago, GradMc said:

we’re talking about ... Vanderbilt, right?

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm relieved they stood pat. 

I too am glad we didn’t mess with this team & the prospects. The plan is in place. Yes it would have been great to get a big arm but not by losing a piece of the future. 

54 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I think allowing Rick Hahn to do a rebuild and do it his way is showing why he was considered so highly as a "GM Prospect" way back when. Not pulling the trigger on unloading a Vaughn, Kopech, Madrigal, Cease or Dunning could pay off huge dividends for this team. I admire the patience, and I admire their valuation of their premium talent. Obviously, the White Sox are now confident in their abilities to get the most out of their players, and given the ceilings for the 5 guys I mentioned, I would want to keep them, too! 

Many people probably still hate him, but man are things looking good around here... and I think he deserves a lot of credit. KW, too. He is RH's boss and obviously is 100% onboard with this. Kudos, gentlemen. Winning a WS this year would just be icing on the cake of a soon to be amazing decade of Sox baseball.

there were idiots on here wanting us to move Kopech for Lance Lynn. yeah that's right, I said idiots

It's useful to remember that  two weeks ago we were just removed from the the "most embarrassing double header sweep in MLB history," and the Sox were garbage.  Now some are upset we didn't push in our chips to fuel a World Series run.  Things change more quickly and dramatically than most are willing to admit, and in both directions.  I admit I got caught up in the excitement of landing a TOR starter for a playoff run, but it's probably best not to base any major , franchise-altering decisions on short snippets of a weird COVID season anyway.  "Stay the course" is boring, but it's the wise approach here. 

31 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Lmao.

Schwarber was considered a reach at the time and the Cubs supposedly coveted Rodon, the projected #1 pick who only fell because two high schoolers were shiny new toys.