Sox "hold steady" at deadline

southsider2k5

41 minutes ago, shakes said:

I thought it was good discipline by Hahn. Shop around to see if there is a way to improve for now, but don't give away something you'll regret. Too many unknown variables this year. Use the off-season to improve. A FA starter is so much more attractive, when it means keeping and developing young depth. Cease, Dunning, Kopech, Lopez fighting for two spots next year is a great scenario. All need more time in their own way before they are inserted into the top half of a contending rotation.

The concern for me is that there aren't any FA options worth big money to be TOR guys, and if we aren't trading any talent for good arms now, we won't in the offseason. Cease, Dunning, and Kopech likely won't be playoff good until 2022 or even 2023 as it usually takes a few years for pitchers to find their way. 

Not trading the elite prospects and young guys in the MlB lineup was the correct decision. I would have traded the Stiever, Collins, Rutherford, Gonzalez type guys for some rental pieces, but not torn up they didn’t. 

I get the frustration from some fans, but this is the very beginning. Trading Vaughn or Kopech or Madrigal or Cease would have been a mistake we’d regret for years to come. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I think you have to give mazara a chance.  We just traded for him.  Cant throw in the towel after only 70 plate appearances

I threw in the towel before a single plate appearance, so after 72 terrible ones I am even more ready to dump him.

11 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The concern for me is that there aren't any FA options worth big money to be TOR guys, and if we aren't trading any talent for good arms now, we won't in the offseason. Cease, Dunning, and Kopech likely won't be playoff good until 2022 or even 2023 as it usually takes a few years for pitchers to find their way. 

We're never going to be players for a Top of the Rotation free agent starter anyway, not at the prices those require. We're not paying $200 million for a starting pitcher, and that's still $125 million less than Cole got. 

Next year we need some depth.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We're never going to be players for a Top of the Rotation free agent starter anyway, not at the prices those require. We're not paying $200 million for a starting pitcher, and that's still $125 million less than Cole got. 

Next year we need some depth.

Depth only wins titles when you quality. We need 3 really good starters and another quality starter to win multiple titles. If we don't get it this offseason, we are probably punting title runs in 20 and 21. The Twins should show us average rotation plus great lineup is a tough recipe for success if you want titles. 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Showed more with that "potential" in his first 3 starts than alot of guys we've had prior to his last outing when his elbow blew up. 

To be fair, his arm blew out after those starts, so that point is not valid for his future potential. We need to see it in action in MLB games first. I still think he has a CY Young in him if he puts forth the effort. 

1 hour ago, shakes said:

I thought it was good discipline by Hahn. Shop around to see if there is a way to improve for now, but don't give away something you'll regret. Too many unknown variables this year. Use the off-season to improve. A FA starter is so much more attractive, when it means keeping and developing young depth. Cease, Dunning, Kopech, Lopez fighting for two spots next year is a great scenario. All need more time in their own way before they are inserted into the top half of a contending rotation.

Why do people keep assuming that because we didn't do anything at the deadline means they'll do work in free agency? We might not do that either. 

8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Showed more with that "potential" in his first 3 starts than alot of guys we've had prior to his last outing when his elbow blew up. 

Which was in what, 2014? 

I think it is an out of sight out of mind situation.  Additionally, just the fact he hasn't pitched in 2 years leads to questions.  

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Which was in what, 2014? 

I think it is an out of sight out of mind situation.  Additionally, just the fact he hasn't pitched in 2 years leads to questions.  

He would've pitched this year if it wasn't for co-vid. And he looked fantastic in spring training. Can't believe I'm saying this about friggin' Kopech but he'll make people eat alot of crow next season. 

32 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He would've pitched this year if it wasn't for co-vid. And he looked fantastic in spring training. Can't believe I'm saying this about friggin' Kopech but he'll make people eat alot of crow next season. 

I'm not down on him.  I just understand why people would question him.  2 years is a long time to not play in a competitive game.  

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Lmao.

Schwarber was considered a reach at the time and the Cubs supposedly coveted Rodon, the projected #1 pick who only fell because two high schoolers were shiny new toys.

Scwarber wasn't a reach he was a money saver.  The Cubs paid him a $3.125M signing bonus.  The Sox paid Rodon a $6.5M signing bonus.  He was a tremendous pick by the Cubs. They got the better player for less than half the money. 

19 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Scwarber wasn't a reach he was a money saver.  The Cubs paid him a $3.125M signing bonus.  The Sox paid Rodon a $6.5M signing bonus.  He was a tremendous pick by the Cubs. They got the better player for less than half the money. 

I’ve heard some speculation the Cubs tried to get Rodon to tell the Sox he wouldn’t sign with them.  Cubs also got Cease due to taking Schwarber.

53 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

While most of the mock drafts are no longer available, SB Nation's consensus has Schwarber at 16th: https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/5/29/5759878/updated-consensus-2014-mlb-mock-draft

It was a phenomenal pick by the Cubs. But hindsight is 2020 and Rodon was the obvious pick at #3.

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

While most of the mock drafts are no longer available, SB Nation's consensus has Schwarber at 16th: https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/5/29/5759878/updated-consensus-2014-mlb-mock-draft

It was a phenomenal pick by the Cubs. But hindsight is 2020 and Rodon was the obvious pick at #3.

There's a difference between a reach and a money saver.  Schwarber was not a reach.  They paid him $1.5M underslot. He was a money saver. 

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'm so happy he didn't get dealt today.  Maybe I'm a homer. I just think he's going to be the real deal!