Rodon an option in the "not to distant future"

southsider2k5

I think Sox fans have jumped the shark a bit ... 

a) dunning is fine, but its two starts - he's an option in a rotation of many options

b) rodon is still filthy. now is he what his potential is? no. but we're all just tired of his injuries and coming down on him too tough

c) cease is doing what any young pitcher will do during his first real season - ups and downs. don't forget giolito did that too. the talent is there. 

d) gio, reynaldo, etc. are all very viable options.  Teams like the braves, mets, cubs, hell, almost every team would love to have those as option 6 and 7

e) we still have kopech next year. Option 8. 

f) plus stiever and crochet. option 9 & 10. 

Out of 10 options you need to find 2 ACE's, 2 strong guys, and 2 guys who get a job done. Giolito is one Ace. Cease/Kopech are your best options to be the other one. Keuchel, Dunning can be your two strong guys. Leaving Stiever, Crochet, Rodon, + likely new FA next year to be "guy who can get a job done". 

Just sit back, relax and strap it down. this season does not matter. be happy there are extended playoffs this year and that they get to (kind of) learn from them. Seeing as there are no fans, maybe they won't learn haha, but be happy we're going to the playoffs. i'd put our rotation next to anybody 1-6 and be okay with it

No need to go out and acquire people, let your own talent marinade for a year or two. Then focus on the money saved to go out and lock up your own talent. We don't need to be the Cubs who traded away Eloy, Torres, Cease, Soler, etc. yet. 

29 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Rodon should be moved to the bullpen full time IMO

I think he could be solid in short, one or two inning stints

I don't disagree that maybe that's his best role with the Sox, I also don't think it's going to be his role in the future. He'll be a starter on another team. Hell, I think it's most likely that Rodon is the newest version of Avi Garcia who will go find success elsewhere. Just doesn't seem like it's in the cards for the Sox. 

Speaking of which, off topic, I really wanted the Sox to explore going after Avi, basically you get him on a 1 yr, $10mm conract for next year. He would've solved the RF hole for a short 1.25 year solution at a reasonable price.(meaning trade for him) 

Edited by BrianAnderson