Hahn: Andrew Vaughn "could help the team this season"

Jose Abreu

With vaughn you either need to bring him up now or wait those 15 days in 2021. The worst thing would be to keep him down this year and then bring him up next opening day, that would be a total waste as both means the same for his service time.

He already is guaranteed a white sox player until 2026 so either bring him up now or leave him down until he is under contract till 27.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Capital G said:

last i checked we are a top offensive team in baseball, and that's w/ EE and Mazara struggling. I dont see a reason to bring him up unless he magically learned how to play a better RF then Mazara.

Yeah have to be honest with yourself as a team. If you want to be a winner you have to make winner moves. And we've beaten on some pretty poor pitching teams. If we want playoff runs, your DH can't bat like Dunn and your RF can't have Madrigal power. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah have to be honest with yourself as a team. If you want to be a winner you have to make winner moves. And we've beaten on some pretty poor pitching teams. If we want playoff runs, your DH can't bat like Dunn and your RF can't have Madrigal power. 

If Mazara was hitting like Madrigal I think people could forgive the power loss.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

With vaughn you either need to bring him up now or wait those 15 days in 2021. The worst thing would be to keep him down this year and then bring him up next opening day, that would be a total waste as both means the same for his service time.

He already is guaranteed a white sox player until 2026 so either bring him up now or leave him down until he is under contract till 27.

Just do it now so he can get 20 games in before the playoffs.

33 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Not much we can do about Mazara but pray he finds before before October.  If not, there will be Engels in the outfield come the playoffs.

• Haha 3

Question for the resident writers that have had access to Schaumburg in the past: does the media still have access to attend games/practices there to see what's going on, or was that limited to a few nights? I'm curious to know if anyone has seen/heard of Vaughn being given a shot in RF just to see if that's an option the Sox are even considering. 

42 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Question for the resident writers that have had access to Schaumburg in the past: does the media still have access to attend games/practices there to see what's going on, or was that limited to a few nights? I'm curious to know if anyone has seen/heard of Vaughn being given a shot in RF just to see if that's an option the Sox are even considering. 

I think vaughn is a ballplayer which means his athleticism plays a bit up. Vaughn is a below average athlete even for first base (probably a slower runner than abreu) but he has some instincts so he won't butcher the easy plays.

You could see that when he played third in the intrasquad games, he has no range but he would make the plays on balls hit right at him because he was calm and  focused unlike yermin who messed up half of the throws.

I think pretty much the same would happen in RF. He wouldn't embarrass himself out there and basically catch everything in a 30 ft circle around him but not get to everything else, I.e if it is near the sideline, a blooper or at the fence he won't get to it but he also won't drop balls hit right at him.

So I do think you could put him there for 3 or 4 games a season but definitely not full time or even real part time, more like an emergency guy

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Sox would be wise to wait a few weeks and call him up late April

22 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think vaughn is a ballplayer which means his athleticism plays a bit up. Vaughn is a below average athlete even for first base (probably a slower runner than abreu) but he has some instincts so he won't butcher the easy plays.

You could see that when he played third in the intrasquad games, he has no range but he would make the plays on balls hit right at him because he was calm and  focused unlike yermin who messed up half of the throws.

I think pretty much the same would happen in RF. He wouldn't embarrass himself out there and basically catch everything in a 30 ft circle around him but not get to everything else, I.e if it is near the sideline, a blooper or at the fence he won't get to it but he also won't drop balls hit right at him.

So I do think you could put him there for 3 or 4 games a season but definitely not full time or even real part time, more like an emergency guy

Isn't this Mazara too?  It would be one thing if Mazara was actually a good outfielder, but if we're going to have below average fielding out there, it might as well be Vaughn doing it since he'll at least provide something offensively.  Otherwise, just let Engel play RF every day.  He won't hit righties, but neither does Mazara.

10 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Isn't this Mazara too?  It would be one thing if Mazara was actually a good outfielder, but if we're going to have below average fielding out there, it might as well be Vaughn doing it since he'll at least provide something offensively.  Otherwise, just let Engel play RF every day.  He won't hit righties, but neither does Mazara.

Mazara definitely has a lit more range than vaughn. But sure the overall package wouldn't be worse than mazara but then again mazara never has been that bad. Just because mazara is very bad it doesn't mean it's a good idea to stretch vaughn to the OF. Mazara is not really playable either.

But the sox seem to be committed to ride it out with mazara otherwise they would have made a deal at the deadline.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I haven't seen this said yet, but if the Sox call up Vaughn now, can he be on the playoff roster?  If the answer is no, there is no cutting someone like EE to make this roster move.

He's on the 60 man player pool, so I see no reason why he wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs.  

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

In normal years the roster is locked in on August 31 and the only other way to get a guy on there is for an injury replacement.

I know, but obviously this isn't a normal year.  And isn't that only for external guys?  Like if you sign a FA September 2nd, he wouldn't be eligible.  But a guy already on your 40 man would be, right?  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I know, but obviously this isn't a normal year.  And isn't that only for external guys?  Like if you sign a FA September 2nd, he wouldn't be eligible.  But a guy already on your 40 man would be, right?  

The roster requirement applies to the active roster.  So the 25/6 guys you had on August 31 are playoff eligible.  The guys you call up on Sept 1 are not.  The exception is if there is an injury to a guy on that 25/6, you can replace them.  This has been the situation forever, just trying to see if that is still the case.

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

The Sox are so close to having an unbelievably solid team up and down the order that they shouldn't settle for the kind of defense Vaughn would (or wouldn't) provide in right field, especially with Eloy's limited defense over in left. 

Just keep Vaughn in the 1B/DH mix and then go and get a true right fielder, one with plus defense and preferably a bat from the left side.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

The Sox are so close to having an unbelievably solid team up and down the order that they shouldn't settle for the kind of defense Vaughn would (or wouldn't) provide in right field, especially with Eloy's limited defense over in left. 

Just keep Vaughn in the 1B/DH mix and then go and get a true right fielder, one with plus defense and preferably a bat from the left side.  

Especially not as long eloy is in left. Can't have two bad fielders even though robert covers a lot of ground.

• Like 1