Hahn: Andrew Vaughn "could help the team this season"

Jose Abreu

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You would think so, but you never know. 

I think free agents are going to have a hard time finding work this winter. 

You know the owners want to break the union, and the union would probably not win a collusion case if the majority or all teams decided just to not sign anyone. 

The owners would look awful if they banded together and decided to sign nobody. I'm no lawyer, but it seems like that would be an easy to prove collusion case. Why would contending teams do that anyway?

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

2 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

The owners would look awful if they banded together and decided to sign nobody. I'm no lawyer, but it seems like that would be an easy to prove collusion case. Why would contending teams do that anyway?

You would think so, but they could claim lost revenues from Covid and unless they have to open the books(which they haven't to this day) how could you prove it? I know it seems super cynical but they have as good of an excuse as they ever will to just not sign anyone. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You know the owners want to break the union, and the union would probably not win a collusion case if the majority or all teams decided just to not sign anyone. 

lol bro I think you need to take Stoney's advice and put a triangle on your keyboard to stare at for a few seconds before you post hot takes

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I would start believing in Bohemian Grove and the Bilderberg Conference if that happened

Skull and Bones 

5 hours ago, chitown87 said:

Maybe I'm a meatball, but does a dude that's never hit above A ball need to be inserted into the 3 hole right away?

And never posted an OPS over .798 in A ball.

I get that he's the "other option" which automatically gets him love. Sort of like the "backup quarterback fallacy" in football. I also get that he's a young, talented player we have big hopes for. But I am very puzzled by the nature of some of these posts.

- Not only is he ready to come up and face big league pitching.

- Not only is he ready to be successful in a big league role.

- NOT ONLY... is he ready to play EVERY DAY.

- NOT ONLY... is he the answer to the biggest problem in our lineup, at a position he has NEVER played. 

- He is ALSO ready to be our #3 hitter and a central piece of our lineup as we contend for an AL Central title! Wow! How convenient is that!?

I mean, what a coincidence that this guy whose been down at the training site, just HAPPENS to be the answer to all of our problems? Every. Single. Solitary. ONE. Gee... if I didn't know any better - I would say that SoxTalk is getting a bit ahead of themselves. But nah... we'd never do that ;)

I want Vaughn up here and getting a chance as well. But let's turn the volume down... just a tad, eh? 

Edited by Richie
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Richie said:

And never posted an OPS over .798 in A ball.

I get that he's the "other option" which automatically gets him love. Sort of like the "backup quarterback fallacy" in football. I also get that he's a young, talented player we have big hopes for. But I am very puzzled by the nature of some of these posts.

- Not only is he ready to come up and face big league pitching.

- Not only is he ready to be successful in a big league role.

- NOT ONLY... is he ready to play EVERY DAY.

- NOT ONLY... is he the answer to the biggest problem in our lineup, at a position he has NEVER played. 

- He is ALSO ready to be our #3 hitter and a central piece of our lineup as we contend for an AL Central title! Wow! How convenient is that!?

I mean, what a coincidence that this guy whose been down at the training site, just HAPPENS to be the answer to all of our problems? Every. Single. Solitary. ONE. Gee... if I didn't know any better - I would say that SoxTalk is getting a bit ahead of themselves. But nah... we'd never do that ;)

I want Vaughn up here and getting a chance as well. But let's turn the volume down... just a tad, eh? 

This is where talent evaluation and scouting comes into play beyond just a debut professional baseball stat line.

What we’ll likely see is him taking quality at bats from day 1... making solid contact, showing spurts of his potential, along with some Mazara like periods of struggle.

That’s worst case.

Best case is he can be a seriously valuable bat in our line up who really surprises some people.

It’s not going to be as gloomy as you make it out should he be here in 2020... but it’s not likely to be roses all the time as well.

Land in the middle. That’s most likely.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hi8is said:

This is where talent evaluation and scouting comes into play beyond just a debut professional baseball stat line.

What we’ll likely see is him taking quality at bats from day 1... making solid contact, showing spurts of his potential, along with some Mazara like periods of struggle.

That’s worst case.

Best case is he can be a seriously valuable bat in our line up who really surprises some people.

It’s not going to be as gloomy as you make it out should he be here in 2020... but it’s not likely to be roses all the time as well.

Land in the middle. That’s most likely.

This line really doesn't have anything to do with my post, though. I never ignored his ability. I must have done an absolutely horrid job of explaining my viewpoint if all you got from my reply was "Hey, here's his OPS in A ball. Kid stands next to no chance right now!". I apologize. 

I would probably agree with this assessment. My point of contention is with the posts alluding to "Stop everything! Bring him up! Hit him 3rd! Play him at a position he's never played! He's the answer to everything!".

That’s worst case.

No... no, no, no. Lol. Come on, we've all been watching this game for a while on this forum. Talented prospects with a lot more time to develop than Vaughn has had come up and totally lay an egg ALL OF THE TIME. That includes guys who eventually figure it out, too. 

I would say your description is "most probable outcome" within the range of potential outcomes. Not the "worst case scenario". 

I am sorry, but with respect, I am very confused. I feel like we're not that far apart - yet you keep attempting to paint my post as doom and gloom for Vaughn if he came up. I explicitly and clearly said "I would like to see him come up and get a shot". Why would I say that if I didn't think he had a chance to help out?

Edited by Richie
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, fathom said:

I just want to know if JR (and other owners) are willing to spend significant money this offseason or will a lot of them be looking to cut costs due to losses this year and likely next year.

If anything the White Sox are out-growing this particular ownership group who are either financially incapable or just flat out unwilling to take the organization to the next level.

Augmenting this team with vetted, in-their-prime free agent difference makers is that next logical step.

The White Sox can become a dominant global brand with the right ownership and marketing strategy.

The next ownership should also look to relocating to the South Loop to make the Sox not only more accessible by public transportation but also grab a piece of that tourism dollar.  

Edited by GradMc

I would also be a bit cautious. I think he will be a good mlb hitter but as it was said he never played above high A and while he did good but did not destroy it either.

He also only played in sim games in the last 2 months.

Yeah he did well in spring but Chris davis batted .400 in spring and now he is back to hitting sub .150, that doesn't mean much.

I don't think he would embarrass himself and likely he would be better than mazara but another 300 minor league plate appearances probably wouldn't hurt his development either.

But if you want to bring him up bring him up now because of service time and getting maximum ABs before the playoffs.

Edited by Dominikk85

14 hours ago, Bad Hombre said:

Agreed. But Kopech opted out because he didn’t want to risk injuring his arm again with the stopping/restarting of the season, so I don’t think it’s happening. 

I don't think that had anything to do as to why Kopech opted out.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Baseball has the strongest union of all the sports by far. The owners know there absolutely no chance to break the union.  That is just a crazy notion. With Boras running the union it will be one of the most contentious negotiations and will lead to a work stoppage by one side or the other.

9 hours ago, Richie said:

This line really doesn't have anything to do with my post, though. I never ignored his ability. I must have done an absolutely horrid job of explaining my viewpoint if all you got from my reply was "Hey, here's his OPS in A ball. Kid stands next to no chance right now!". I apologize. 

I would probably agree with this assessment. My point of contention is with the posts alluding to "Stop everything! Bring him up! Hit him 3rd! Play him at a position he's never played! He's the answer to everything!".

That’s worst case.

No... no, no, no. Lol. Come on, we've all been watching this game for a while on this forum. Talented prospects with a lot more time to develop than Vaughn has had come up and totally lay an egg ALL OF THE TIME. That includes guys who eventually figure it out, too. 

I would say your description is "most probable outcome" within the range of potential outcomes. Not the "worst case scenario". 

I am sorry, but with respect, I am very confused. I feel like we're not that far apart - yet you keep attempting to paint my post as doom and gloom for Vaughn if he came up. I explicitly and clearly said "I would like to see him come up and get a shot". Why would I say that if I didn't think he had a chance to help out?

OPS is just 1 stat category. Not the end all be all. Even Trout had a .821 OPS in A+(The following year he was in the majors). Not comparing him to Trout. But saying that its not unheard of to go from A+ one year and move quickly through AA/AAA to the majors the next. This year would have been Vaughns AA/AAA year. Development doesn't stop just because a player does not play games for minor league affiliates (I'm sure it doesn't help). If the org think hes ready then give him a shot earlier rather than later. Hopefully he can play RF. If not EE isn't hitting well. Hes got to get atbats if he comes up. I'm with you on batting him 3rd is ridiculous. Hes probably going to take sometime to get acclimated to the MLB.

45 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

OPS is just 1 stat category. Not the end all be all. Even Trout had a .821 OPS in A+(The following year he was in the majors). Not comparing him to Trout. But saying that its not unheard of to go from A+ one year and move quickly through AA/AAA to the majors the next. This year would have been Vaughns AA/AAA year. Development doesn't stop just because a player does not play games for minor league affiliates (I'm sure it doesn't help). If the org think hes ready then give him a shot earlier rather than later. Hopefully he can play RF. If not EE isn't hitting well. Hes got to get atbats if he comes up. I'm with you on batting him 3rd is ridiculous. Hes probably going to take sometime to get acclimated to the MLB.

He is actually getting exposed to a lot more high level talent this way, and a lot less duds that he would have faced especially in A+ ball.  Granted you can't simulate actual play, but he is seeing much better stuff this way.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Richie said:

That’s worst case.

Ok.