Hahn: Andrew Vaughn "could help the team this season"

Jose Abreu

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

At this stage, give a rookie two weeks to be ready for the playoffs?  Nah, this is our ride or die roster right now.

Exactly. Not sure why everyone got excited a couple weeks ago when there were reports of Vaughn taking reps in RF. Was never going to happen this season barring a slew of injuries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, black jack said:

Leave him down.

Next year too.  

Extend McCann to a two year deal and let Vaughn be in the next wave with Kopech in 2022. 

Huh? Kopech Is not going to spend all of 2021 in the minors. Or if he does, his arm fell off and we got more problems than playing service time games.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Huh? Kopech Is not going to spend all of 2021 in the minors. Or if he does, his arm fell off and we got more problems than playing service time games.

He’s not going to come up after missing two years and pitch 150 innings.

They have to build him back up.  Anyone expecting anything significant from him on the MLB level in 2021 is fooling themselves. 

• Haha 1

Mazara has looked good defensively. He has decent speed and a long reach with his height and wing span.  

At the plate, he has started to make better contact. Let's try to be patient with him.  He has already hit 60 HR in his young career so the power is there...somewhere..

6 hours ago, tray said:

Mazara has looked good defensively. He has decent speed and a long reach with his height and wing span.  

At the plate, he has started to make better contact. Let's try to be patient with him.  He has already hit 60 HR in his young career so the power is there...somewhere..

Can you be patient for a potential world series run though? This team statistically is turning into the best of the AL, and he is clearly the biggest weakness for position players. I just don't know the alternative option at this point. Engel more? At the very least, Dyson and Engel need to be defensively out there in the 8th and beyond if they have the lead in the playoffs

11 hours ago, black jack said:

He’s not going to come up after missing two years and pitch 150 innings.

They have to build him back up.  Anyone expecting anything significant from him on the MLB level in 2021 is fooling themselves. 

You're missing the fact that he went through spring training this year and was on track to be a starter this year. So he hasn't just sat around doing nothing for 2 years. He should be up sometime next year. 

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

you guys dont think Kopech has been throwing on the side this year? he will be ready next season barring his mental state. 

His arm may be ready, but he could be rusty and he’ll also be on an innings limit.  Why not get him some seasoning at AAA and buy us an extra year of team control?

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His arm may be ready, but he could be rusty and he’ll also be on an innings limit.  Why not get him some seasoning at AAA and buy us an extra year of team control?

If they keep Kopech down for 45 days, they get him through 2026. It's a no brainer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, black jack said:

Leave him down.

Next year too.  

Extend McCann to a two year deal and let Vaughn be in the next wave with Kopech in 2022. 

That  would be stupid. The next wave is not going to be as good as giolito, anderson, robert and moncada. 

Keep vaughn Down a month or so so you have him through 2027 but vaughn will be 23 and is a first baseman and that means he is 30 at free agency and that is not great for contract negotiations, can't compare that to a 20 yo middle if guy like tatis.

Regarding kopech I would keep him down those two months or whatever you need for the extra year because he won't pitch more than 130 ip in 2021 anyway and that way you have him the second half and possibly playoffs.

23 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

That  would be stupid. The next wave is not going to be as good as giolito, anderson, robert and moncada. 

Keep vaughn Down a month or so so you have him through 2027 but vaughn will be 23 and is a first baseman and that means he is 30 at free agency and that is not great for contract negotiations, can't compare that to a 20 yo middle if guy like tatis.

Regarding kopech I would keep him down those two months or whatever you need for the extra year because he won't pitch more than 130 ip in 2021 anyway and that way you have him the second half and possibly playoffs.

Yeah I'd keep Kopech and Vaughn down to get the extra year to space out the contracts so that not everyone is a FA at the same time.

If we sign a SP like Bauer (or even Q) on a 1 yr deal it will be an absolute lock that Kopech will be kept down. 

Collins or whoever can DH for a month till Vaughn is brought up. 

Of course he''s going to pitch in 21. 

Kopech will start in triple A and will probably be shut down in Late Aug/September.  You cannot count on him being in a playoff rotation even if he's good enough.

That's why I consider him in the 2022 "wave".  He'll go the full season and be counted on from start to finish.  

As for Vaughn, I'd rather have MCCann back and rotate him Jose, and Grandall between 1st, C, and DH. 

Of course if McCann is fine with just catching, then by all means, bring up Vaughn to rotate with Jose. 

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

No clue who this is but I came across it and laughed out loud

Unfortunately since Menechino didn't mention his illness there's mechanical and approach problems. This could be due to Menechino trying to implement more launch angle into his game and with the illness and changing mechanics if Mazara is trying to get more launch angle he just hasn't been able to do it.

Of course I would assume once the Sox acquired him they reached out almost immediately to see if he was open to those particular mechanical changes. At this point I'd have to say just go back to your old style and see if that will straighten him out. His normal production from the last 4 years against RHP would've been more than fine on this years Sox.

I am no hitting coach but Mazara looks to be standing tall in the box and with an open stance he doesn't seem very good on the outside pitches and cant get any lift on the inside pitches . If you are going to have that open stance you have to be able to lift and pull inside pitches. I don't know if his timing is still off so maybe he needs a smaller leg kick or toe tap. I'd probably also get him to bend his knees a little more, keep more weight on his back foot to use his legs to generate a kind of springboard action for weight transfer. He just seems to be all arms at the plate . Maybe close the stance up too. Bonds had a closed stance and elite bat speed but for a guy as big and strong as Mazara maybe  use a lighter bat too to increase bat speed.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3

Cali:   Your observations are right on the money.  I imagine that scouting reports on Mazara note almost  everything  you pointed about Mazara's approach, stance, bat speed and more.  Mazara can't cover the outside half of the plate and as you mentioned, he igets beat by fastballs that he does not appear to react to in time, or he just doesn't have the bat speed to catch up to. 

There were a few articles I read when the Sox traded for him by sportswriters for the Rangers. They commented that Mazara did not respond to coaching very well down there. I am wondering if he is having the same issue here with the Sox coaching staff because he does not appear to be making any adjustments to his approach.

This guy is a beast. All he has to do is touch the bat on the ball and eventually one will go over the fence.  There was an off-color joke about a guy with a big schwanz that nevertheless couldn't get any pussy. That's Mazara.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

The sox don't really need vaughn at DH this year. Even if EE is bad the mccann and grandal situation leaves you with a decent DH.

Rotate EE with the two catchers though DH and you have a decent DH.

Recently RR has been sitting EE quite a bit and let the catchers DH. Let EE only hit against lefties and soft tossing righties but put grandal in against the good stuff righties and let mccann catch those days.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah I'd keep Kopech and Vaughn down to get the extra year to space out the contracts so that not everyone is a FA at the same time.

If we sign a SP like Bauer (or even Q) on a 1 yr deal it will be an absolute lock that Kopech will be kept down. 

Collins or whoever can DH for a month till Vaughn is brought up. 

It’s already a lock Kopech will be kept down. You cannot expect the guy to to throw 150 MLB innings next year. His workload will be managed in the minors and he’ll arrive in mid June. 

Vaughn will be up late April once they get the extra year. 

Edited by ChiSox59
*Clarifying typo
  • Like 1