Hahn: Andrew Vaughn "could help the team this season"

Jose Abreu

I would go out and sign a right fielder. Michael Brantley would be good. Even though Marcell Ozuna isn’t a right fielder and bats righty, now I wish we would’ve went out and got him last offseason instead of settling with Mazara. I know that JR was laughing about that but he would’ve been a better option to stick in right field. 

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I would go out and sign a right fielder. Michael Brantley would be good. Even though  Marcell Ozuna isn’t a right fielder and bats righty, now I wish we would’ve went out and got him last offseason instead of settling with Mazara. I know that JR was laughing about that but he would’ve been a better option to stick in right field. 

I just want to know if JR (and other owners) are willing to spend significant money this offseason or will a lot of them be looking to cut costs due to losses this year and likely next year.

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I would go out and sign a right fielder. Michael Brantley would be good. Even though  Marcell Ozuna isn’t a right fielder and bats righty, now I wish we would’ve went out and got him last offseason instead of settling with Mazara. I know that JR was laughing about that but he would’ve been a better option to stick in right field. 

I'm not sure JR is laughing now

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I just want to know if JR (and other owners) are willing to spend significant money this offseason or will a lot of them be looking to cut costs due to losses this year and likely next year.

I am going to guess that not even JR knows that as of yet.  There are so many things out of his control right now.  As those start to get answer in the next few months, we might know more.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I would think the latter is the most likely scenario. Looking around the league many owners are hinting at it if not outright stating it. Of course, it only takes one to change everything and start bidding wars.

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Isan Diaz just opted back IN to the season (after opting out) and was granted approval.. I wonder how difficult it is to be approved. Theoretically, Kopech could opt back in?  Especially since him was likely not COVID related. Just a thought.  

Unless he has been pitching at a high intensity every 5 days, there is no point as of now.  By the time could ramp up to full strength, we'd be in the middle of the playoffs.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unless he has been pitching at a high intensity every 5 days, there is no point as of now.  By the time could ramp up to full strength, we'd be in the middle of the playoffs.

Yeah that would be a huge health risk. Even if he threw some pens that can't compare to throwing under game stress. Ramping up to full intensity and start of the season are usually the biggest risk periods.

41 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Isan Diaz just opted back IN to the season (after opting out) and was granted approval.. I wonder how difficult it is to be approved. Theoretically, Kopech could opt back in?  Especially since him was likely not COVID related. Just a thought.  

Yes he could opt back in, but with 24 games left in the regular season it’s not worth the risk. He’d have less than 4 weeks to ramp up after not facing hitters since March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wouldn't it be helpful for Kopech to get to Schaumburg to continue working out and developing?

• Like 1

I’m sure the Sox have thought of Vaughn in right.   They must have a good handle on if he can do it or not.   I really can’t see him over some time being worse than Eloy.  His arm would be important, if it’s serviceable.  

If they determined Vaughn is not an option they need to make the full time switch to Engel.   Mazara has had his options.  

10 minutes ago, jamesdiego said:

I’m sure the Sox have thought of Vaughn in right.   They must have a good handle on if he can do it or not.   I really can’t see him over some time being worse than Eloy.  His arm would be important, if it’s serviceable.  

If they determined Vaughn is not an option they need to make the full time switch to Engel.   Mazara has had his options.  

I do not think the Sox are going to screw with one of their top prospects and ask him to play considerably out of position. 

Short of an injury, I think they leave him in Schaumburg and work to get him ready for the MLB in 2021

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I do not think the Sox are going to screw with one of their top prospects and ask him to play considerably out of position. 

Short of an injury, I think they leave him in Schaumburg and work to get him ready for the MLB in 2021

I find this stuff so...so overrated. We have seen so many top prospects play temporarily in outfield. They'd rather be in the majors!

• Like 1

I think Vaughn should play some LF in Schaumburg due to Abreu's contract.  I think he might have to spend some time there to get to the bigs.

I was thinking during the deadline that the Sox really should put together a big package for Devers.  Given the fact that Abreu is here and won't be moved, I think if you trade for Devers, you could move Yoan to RF, play Vaughn in LF, put Eloy at DH with Abreu at 1B, and you just do this for 2021.  Vaughn slides to 1B when Abreu gets the day off and Eloy sees some time in LF still.  Then in 2022 you move Vaughn to 1B permanently and put Abreu into more of a bench role.  I dunno.  But I really like Vaughn and I really don't think he's going to get the chance to take 1B outright, and even if he does, Eloy is such a disaster defensively that I'd probably rather have Jose at 1B and Vaughn in the OF anyway.

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to guess that not even JR knows that as of yet.  There are so many things out of his control right now.  As those start to get answer in the next few months, we might know more.

7 hours ago, ptatc said:

I would think the latter is the most likely scenario. Looking around the league many owners are hinting at it if not outright stating it. Of course, it only takes one to change everything and start bidding wars.

I don't expect them to go nuts but they have like $40-$50 million coming off the books. They can't run like a $75 million payroll. if they at least replace what is going out, they could be the AL favorites in 2021. 

28 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't expect them to go nuts but they have like $40-$50 million coming off the books. They can't run like a $75 million payroll. if they at least replace what is going out, they could be the AL favorites in 2021. 

You would think so, but you never know. 

I think free agents are going to have a hard time finding work this winter. 

You know the owners want to break the union, and the union would probably not win a collusion case if the majority or all teams decided just to not sign anyone. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1