Alex Colome

WBWSF

I don't think people appreciate how good he has been for us because it can sometimes be a roller coaster while he is in there. Does anybody know our record when entering the 9th inning with a lead since the beginning of the 2019 season?  I'm fairly sure we have only lost 1 game out of about 70-75 chances.

• Like 3

He's been better than we think because he almost always makes it interesting (in a bad way).  But, he doesn't blow many saves and maintains his composure out there.  He does give the Sox the best chance to win when they're leading right now.

That being said, I don't see them spending a lot to keep him since there are some young arms that could be developed into closers.  If, however, he can be had cheap, maybe we'll see him for another season or two.  I suspect another team to pay him more, though.

• Like 2

Colome has been an underrated beast for us.  He is a gamer and is there when we need him.  

Now, when our Rickster puts him in during a non-save situation is when it can get interesting.  But I put that on Ricky with not always putting his players in the best position to succeed.  

I’m definitely leaning towards resigning him.  But how he performs in the playoffs will be critical and have a large bearing on that.  

• Like 2

On one hand he has the composure to close out games because he doesn't shit the bed when someone gets on base and he controls damages and doesn't allow too many big innings. On the other hand he's been pretty lucky as a White Sox (and for his career for that matter). The expected stats (xwOBA, xERA) isn't favorable because balls are hit hard against him, but not hard enough to allow too many homeruns. Maybe one of these years it would catch up on him.

• Like 1

I think some people (myself included) expected things to go poorly with Colome because the advanced stats really haven’t looked good for him for a while now. There was/is a lot of “luck” involved.

But a lot like TA and his BABIP, sometimes you just have to shrug your shoulders and be happy with the results rather than question why. Perfect example of advanced stats not always telling the whole story.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

On one hand he has the composure to close out games because he doesn't shit the bed when someone gets on base and he controls damages and doesn't allow too many big innings. On the other hand he's been pretty lucky as a White Sox (and for his career for that matter). The expected stats (xwOBA, xERA) isn't favorable because balls are hit hard against him, but not hard enough to allow too many homeruns. Maybe one of these years it would catch up on him.

If it lasts for a period of years, it is no longer luck, and there is another factor that is making this possible.  Think of Mark Buehrle and his fielding helping his stats go WAY past his advanced stats.

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If he has been doing this for his entire career, maybe luck doesn’t have much to do with it.

• Like 1

I love his lack of giving up the long ball and his composure on the mound when things are not going great, albeit often due to him putting himself into a jam.  Take the game with the ball going through Grandal's legs...Alex held it to a tie game when I believe it was 2nd and 3rd with no outs.  That's why I like to call him Alex "never a doubt" Colome.

• Love 1

In the Earl Weaver Baltimore Orioles days, they had a reliever named Don Stanhouse.  He was nicknamed "Full pack" because Weaver would go into the tunnel and smoke an entire pack before his inning was over.  Thats how Alex makes me feel, just glad I don't smoke!  Hmmmmm Alex "six pack" Colome.........

7 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

I don't think people appreciate how good he has been for us because it can sometimes be a roller coaster while he is in there. Does anybody know our record when entering the 9th inning with a lead since the beginning of the 2019 season?  I'm fairly sure we have only lost 1 game out of about 70-75 chances.

I appreciate the spirit of your post.  He seems to take me on a nightly emotional adventure...but in the end, he has gotten the job done.

17 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I like him, not too many closers out there that don't make it nerve-wracking.

The advanced stat nerds hate Colome but his save percentage with the Sox has been great and that’s what I care about most from a closer. Pretty sure most people would consider Josh Hader the top closer in MLB right now. Josh has 8 blown saves in 53 opportunities since the start of last season. Colome has just 4 blown saves in 41 opportunities.

• Like 1

The flip side of Sox success this year is the need to hold onto both Colome and McCan at trade deadline. Either/both of whom would have brought back quality assets. The good news is they can both be resigned and, at least in the case of McCann, should be resigned (this man's opinion).