2021 Offseason Prediction: Who We Lose and What Will Be Our Needs?

SouthSideGeorgia

15 minutes ago, beautox said:

Lets go down the list
Verdugo has 4 years of control left and Boston is rebuilding
Waters is blocked by Pache, Inciarte and Acuna and was dangled at the trade deadline.
Marsh is blocked by Trout, Adell, Upton and Ohtani
Carlson is blocked by O'Neill, Bader and Fowler

Bader and Fowler are not gonna block anyone.  Marsh hits lefthanded, which the Angels desperately need. Waters is possible, but it's not Atlanta's style to commit to Inciarte ahead of a guy I know they love. Verdugo ain't gonna happen. (Which I'm happy about.) If Boston tries to unload a lefty OF on the Sox, it'll be Benintendi, and they'll ask for the world.

Edited by Timmy U

I just hope Moncada can snap back pretty quickly. It seems the Sox are at least slightly skeptical about his injuries. Once that starts, it usually only gets worse and the player becomes trade bait. I know he worked very hard during the offseason trying to avoid hamstring issues. But something is going on, and he seems more bothered by it than it seems the Sox think he should. 

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I would rather resign McCann and have he and Grandal share catching and DH duties.  McCann would cost less than EE so money shouldn't enter into the decision.  

Agree unless McCann wants to be "he catcher" or a team. Also , McCann might cost too much compared to a team that wants him as their #1.

14 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Agree unless McCann wants to be "he catcher" or a team. Also , McCann might cost too much compared to a team that wants him as their #1.

McCann will get paid starter money by another club this offseason. I'd love to bring him back, but I doubt it happens.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just hope Moncada can snap back pretty quickly. It seems the Sox are at least slightly skeptical about his injuries. Once that starts, it usually only gets worse and the player becomes trade bait. I know he worked very hard during the offseason trying to avoid hamstring issues. But something is going on, and he seems more bothered by it than it seems the Sox think he should. 

I am old  enough to recall that George Brett had issues "in the general area of his hamstring."

Edited by tray

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but I think it's important to be said. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this thread being created, and there is a lot of good stuff in here already, it should continue. 

But I also feel like as Sox fans, we are conditioned to sort of make these topics half way through the season, or on September 1st, because next year is all we have to talk about. 

I just want to make sure everyone enjoys what is happening right now. I know they haven't won anything yet, but in a lot of ways this is the most fun we will ever have with this team. They are young, hungry and full of potential. If we are lucky enough to see them put it together for a World Series run, we'll all be thrilled and have memories for a life time. But then their is a target on their back, the expectations rise to enormous heights, and every loss feels like the end of the world even more. 

Enjoy every second of what we are watching right now. The come up is often times the best part of the dynasty. The 2009 Blackhawks were such a blast to watch, it was such a surprise. A lot of Cubs fans will tell you the same thing about the 2015 Cubs (save the dumb jokes). This season could be very, very special and that's where I'm putting my attention right now (and also re-signing McCann to a 12 year extension for 40 billion dollars)

I think the majority of Sox fans are loving every second of this ride, even the struggles, because we know what this roster is capable of doing. 

Nothing wrong with looking to the future, which should be very bright

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this thread being created, and there is a lot of good stuff in here already, it should continue. 

But I also feel like as Sox fans, we are conditioned to sort of make these topics half way through the season, or on September 1st, because next year is all we have to talk about. 

I just want to make sure everyone enjoys what is happening right now. I know they haven't won anything yet, but in a lot of ways this is the most fun we will ever have with this team. They are young, hungry and full of potential. If we are lucky enough to see them put it together for a World Series run, we'll all be thrilled and have memories for a life time. But then their is a target on their back, the expectations rise to enormous heights, and every loss feels like the end of the world even more. 

Enjoy every second of what we are watching right now. The come up is often times the best part of the dynasty. The 2009 Blackhawks were such a blast to watch, it was such a surprise. A lot of Cubs fans will tell you the same thing about the 2015 Cubs (save the dumb jokes). This season could be very, very special and that's where I'm putting my attention right now (and also re-signing McCann to a 12 year extension for 40 billion dollars)

I wouldn't go more than 9 years ;)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

Preach it Tony.  I mean sports shouldn't be a burden to start with.  But if you aren't fully enjoying moments like this season has given us, you are 100% doing it wrong.

31 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

1. Sign Quintana as our big SP signing.

2. Kopech comes back and is ready to go day 1

3. We trade for Benintendi

4. Trade for Edwin Diaz

4. Pickup option on Leaury

5. Decline, EE, Ciscek.

I like your list, but why does everyone want Quintana?

That doesn't do much for me. 

Give me Bauer or a trade for a stud SP. Quintana is donezo! 

I like benintendi, although I wonder if we could set our sights higher than that.

We have good to great financial flexibility right now and we have good to great prospects to trade away. Our team is set, let's get amazing pieces back. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I like benintendi, although I wonder if we could set our sights higher than that.

We have good to great financial flexibility right now and we have good to great prospects to trade away. Our team is set, let's get amazing pieces back. 

To clarrify there are A LOT more SP that I'd want.. I just see him being super likely given the familiarity AND Reinsdorf's loyalty

1. SS - Tim Anderson

2. 3B - Yoan Moncada

3. CF - Luis Robert

4. LF - Eloy Jimenez

5. C - Yasmani Grandal

6. 1B - Jose Abreu

7. DH - Andrew Vaughn

8. RF - (OPEN)

9. 2B - Nick Madrigal

BENCH - 2B/3B/SS - Danny Mendick

BENCH - (OPEN)

BENCH - LF/CF/RF - Adam Engel

BENCH - 1B/C/DH - Zack Collins

1. SP - Lucas Giolito

2. SP - Dallas Kuechel

3. SP - Dylan Cease

4. SP - Michael Kopech

5. SP - Dane Dunning

CLOSER - (OPEN)

Take the money saved from not resigning anyone, not picking up any options, and non tendering everyone and fill the holes. Should be plenty of money to make this team a legit World Series threat.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Bauer is going to be the most sought after free agent in what is looking to be a pretty weak overall FA class. He would be a great rotation addition, but I think he will get paid huge money given the lack of other quality SP options out there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Bauer is going to be the most sought after free agent in what is looking to be a pretty weak overall FA class. He would be a great rotation addition, but I think he will get paid huge money given the lack of other quality SP options out there. 

we have a lot of money left so why not us

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Everyone is projecting Quintana because he'll only be 32 at the start of his contract, will likely come at a reasonable price and has familiarity with the organization, city and club house. Everyone is going to be in on Bauer and if he truly is set on going on 1 year deals I don't think the sox will pay him.

Benintendi was the definition of a league average hitter last year and this year has been terrible and is out with rib issues, I too would like to see us aim higher.

You're right between financial flexibility and some prospects and distressed major league assets we should be able to finish out the roster for next year.

Projected Opening Day Roster

Assumptions = Full Season, Depressed FA $ across MLB. * = Estimated Arbitration Award / Final Contract; ^ = Estimated Free Agent Contract

Hitters: $73.8M + Potential Additional FA $ (13 Hitters)

1. C: Y. Grandal $18.3M 
  2. 1B: J. Abreu $17.7M
  3. 2B: N. Madrigal $0.6M
  4. 3B: Y. Moncada $6.8M
  5. SS: T. Anderson $7.3M
  6. LF: E. Jimenez $4.3M
  7. CF: L Robert $3.5M
  8. RF: Free Agent / Trade Acquisition TBD or N. Mazara $6.5M*
  9. DH: A. Vaughn $0.6M
  10. C; J. McCann $6.5M^;  INF: D. Mendick $0.6M* & Free Agent / In House TBD  $0.6M + OF: A. Engel $0.8M*.

Pitchers: (13 Pitchers): $46.9M

SP: L. Golito $3.5M*; D. Keuchel $18.0M; D. Cease $0.6M*; D. Dunning $0.6M*; C. Rodon $5.0M*; R. Lopez $1.5M*;

RP: A. Colome $11.0M; A. Bummer $2.0M; E. Marshall $1.5M*; R. Detwiler $1.0M; M. Foster $0.6M; J. Cordero $0.6M; Free Agent $1.0M.

Additional 14 Players on 40 Man including M. Kopech (14 * $0.6M = $8.4M)

Players granted FA w/ buyout if applicable ($1.6M) : S. Cishek $0.8M; G. Gonzalez $0.5M; L. Garcia $0.3M; E. Encarnacion $0.0M; J. Dyson $0.0M. J. Fry $0.0M.

Total White Sox Payroll: $130.7M

Key Decisions:

1. James McCann: Very important in terms of defense, pitcher development and pitch calling. Grandal signing hamstrung organization in terms of not filling their biggest 2020 lineup hole (Right Field - Nick Castellanos better use of $$$, especially looking at the options in 2021 Free Agents). That said, it's likely he walks, Collins is the backup. Hope Lucas and others don't take a step back as a result. Decent possibility RONA continues and there's a total collapse of the FA market, allowing McCann to return with a reasonable deal.

2. Starting Pitcher: Do they rely on in house options, or sign one more SP (2-4) to add depth while the young core continues to develop.

3. Closer: Will they attempt to resign Colome or will they attempt to go in house and use $ to shore up middle relief or RF? Bummer injury impacts his potential promotion.

4. Right Field: Will they stick with Mazara, or contemplate a trade to acquire an adequate defender and bat? Short sample size so far, but nothing to indicate Mazara will progress beyond a below average fielder and corner OF hitter. Limited Minor League options at this point to fill this position.

Wild Card = RONA: I don't see the White Sox being among the aggressive teams if RONA continues in 2021 and beyond, allowing for few/no free agents beyond ML Minimum Salary roster additions. They will likely seek continued salary reductions from players for next season.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Assumptions = Full Season, Depressed FA $ across MLB. * = Estimated Arbitration Award / Final Contract; ^ = Estimated Free Agent Contract

1. 😄Y. Grandal $18.3M 
  10. C; J. McCann $6.5M^;  INF: D. Mendick $0.6M* & Free Agent / In House TBD  $0.6M + OF: A. Engel $0.8M*.

SP: L. Golito $3.5M*; D. Keuchel $18.0M; D. Cease $0.6M*; D. Dunning $0.6M*; C. Rodon $5.0M*; R. Lopez $1.5M*;

RP: A. Colome $11.0M; A. Bummer $2.0M; E. Marshall $1.5M*; R. Detwiler $1.0M; M. Foster $0.6M; J. Cordero $0.6M; Free Agent $1.0M.

Players granted FA w/ buyout if applicable ($1.6M) : S. Cishek $0.8M; G. Gonzalez $0.5M; L. Garcia $0.3M; E. Encarnacion $0.0M; J. Dyson $0.0M. J. Fry $0.0M.

Key Decisions:

1. James McCann: Very important in terms of defense, pitcher development and pitch calling. Grandal signing hamstrung organization in terms of not filling their biggest 2020 lineup hole (Right Field - Nick Castellanos better use of $$$, especially looking at the options in 2021 Free Agents). That said, it's likely he walks, Collins is the backup. Hope Lucas and others don't take a step back as a result. Decent possibility RONA continues and there's a total collapse of the FA market, allowing McCann to return with a reasonable deal.

2. Starting Pitcher: Do they rely on in house options, or sign one more SP (2-4) to add depth while the young core continues to develop.

3. Closer: Will they attempt to resign Colome or will they attempt to go in house and use $ to shore up middle relief or RF? Bummer injury impacts his potential promotion.

4. Right Field: Will they stick with Mazara, or contemplate a trade to acquire an adequate defender and bat? Short sample size so far, but nothing to indicate Mazara will progress beyond a below average fielder and corner OF hitter. Limited Minor League options at this point to fill this position.

Wild Card = RONA: I don't see the White Sox being among the aggressive teams if RONA continues in 2021 and beyond, allowing for few/no free agents beyond ML Minimum Salary roster additions. They will likely seek continued salary reductions from players for next season.

Do you think that Colome will be re-signed, or will they try Heuer, Burdi, or Foster to see if any of them can do the job?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

1. 😄Y. Grandal $18.3M 

Key Decisions:

Great post!  One thing, but I don’t believe that guys on the 40 man but not on the active roster make a major league salary.  Also, you seem to be missing Heuer in the bullpen.

From my perspective, the bullpen will likely be as follows:

RP: Bummer*, Heuer, Rodon*, Lopez, Foster, Marshall, Burdi, Johnson

If they bring a reliever, it should be a late inning guy, but would rather commit those resources to the rotation or RF

• Like 1

I was happy w/ the Mazara trade bc of his potential but, even in a terrible situation (COVID), I have seen enough. I dont want to trade any of our top prospects so I would love a Brantley stop-gap until we see if one of our young minor league guys can take over in 2022, if not, make a trade.

We need a SP since we dont know what is going to happen w/ Kopech. I'd like one of Stroman. Bauer I think will get too much.

Collins becomes the full time back up C and plays some DH if his bat shows up.

Vaughn takes over for EE.

Move Burdi or Heuer to closer bc I dont think we pay Colome' and then sign some other BP help. Let Cisheck go. Move Lopez/Rodon to BP and some spot starts if needed.

Keep L Garcia.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, knightni said:

Do you think that Colome will be re-signed, or will they try Heuer, Burdi, or Foster to see if any of them can do the job?

Very tough decision. I hope a depressed FA market allows the White Sox to resign Colome. I would have have guessed pre Rona plans were to promote Bummer and use the $ elsewhere on the roster after another solid Bummer season. The nerve injury is an additional factor in Colome's retention.

The candidates you mention may be possibilities, though the truncated schedule really hurt in terms of providing significant audition time in late inning situations. Foster has succeeded in multiple roles this year.  Heuer has looked very good as well, wish he was used more. Wouldn't hold Burdi's bad outing against him, but would like a full year under his belt before considering late inning roles.

Liam Hendricks is the best 2021 FA closer beyond Colome, likely beyond the Sox' budget.  I don't know whether other minor league candidates are in the mix with the lack of minor league games or news, but hopefully the minors will continue to provide the White Sox with additional candidates. The White Sox won it all, though with a more experienced veteran SP staff, with rotating Closers throughout 2005, and push comes to shove this would not be my number one priority this off-season.

Right Field would be my top priority as it impacts offense and defense, followed by making a decision as to whether Grandal is a good fit to catch 120 games, or whether a three position rotation between Abreu, Grandal, McCann and Vaughn is best. In a perfect world, the Sox would have signed two OFers instead of Parrot and Grandal, and Jiminez would serve significant time as DH. Would upgrade the defense and keep Eloy's bat in the lineup without continued lost time due to injuries in the outfield.

I do like Grandal's pitch framing, and unfortunately the truncated season limits the time he gets to work with the staff this season (hopefully the postseason adds a few dozen more opportunities :cool:). I think the writing is on the wall and McCann will leave, Collins gets promoted and the money, if used, is for RF and Pitching.

And thanks @Chicago White Sox for pointing out the two RP omissions, Heuer and Burdi. Both will return, eliminating the need for the FA RP.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tony said:

I agree 100%.  However, because we're so excited about this team is why we are even more excited about the future.  My son and I were made fun of terribly by my wife and daughter (and others) when we were saying 2020 is going to be the beginning of the window for the Sox.  I don't know how many times I heard, in a mocking voice, "2020!" over the past year.  Now here we are, and this team is even better and more exciting than we thought.  It's hard not to think about what this team will be like in 2021, 2022, and beyond.  I'm having more fun watching baseball now than I have in years, and it's really cool knowing this feeling isn't going away any time soon.

• Like 2