2021 Offseason Prediction: Who We Lose and What Will Be Our Needs?

SouthSideGeorgia

9 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don't think you can go into a season you expect to REALLY compete with a potential question mark at closer (Foster, Burdi,Heuer).  You have to sign/trade someone.

Is there really a guaranteed reliable closer out there that would be available?

Teams are constantly changing closers during the season - it's just the "hot" hand - and the Sox definitely have live arms.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, knightni said:

Teams are constantly changing closers during the season - it's just the "hot" hand - and the Sox definitely have live arms.

That is not an ideal way for a true contender to go about managing a bullpen. Even though it is not always pretty, do not discount that Colome has gotten the job done for the Sox.

I could see us bringing him back

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 9:40 AM, knightni said:

Colome, Giles, S. Greene, Kela, Workman, Yates, Doolittle are pending free agents. Hand has a ten million option. You'd think that would be picked up, but with the Indians, who knows? Personally, I'd just go with Colome. The dude is a bulldog.

As for Quintana, I'd be willing to bet he pitches to 40. I don't think he's finished by a long shot. I'd rather have Bauer too, but Quintana would still be helpful IMO.

I don't see the Sox declining Leury's option. I think the bench will include him along with Mendick and Engle.

42 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

With Quintana hurt all year, that's becoming less of a realistic option. 

Brantley is also a more realistic option for RF. 

Quintana hasn't had any arm issues. If anything, the lack of innings this year could allow him to come back with a refreshed arm.

Brantley's left hand bat would be perfect for this lineup. I think his arm is less than ideal for RF, but I could live with that.

Just now, Vulture said:

Quintana hasn't had any arm issues. If anything, the lack of innings this year could allow him to come back with a refreshed arm.

Brantley's left hand bat would be perfect for this lineup. I think his arm is less than ideal for RF, but I could live with that.

He's on the DL with a Lat issue. That's arm related. 

I could see Brantley as a DH candidate, but the Sox have Vaughn. He's NOT a rightfielder. Also I worry that he'd be yet another guy to come here and cash their last paychecks as our substandard DH (Dunn, LaRoche, Alonso, EE, et al).  I'd probably look for a platoon partner with Engel ala Joc Pederson and spend the money trying to lock up Giolito. The millions they have locked up in Herrera, Colome, EE, and Mazara either has to go to one stud or they should spread it around to young guys. Old, mid-tier free agents playing out of position is a recipe for disaster. Hell, maybe they need a pint of whatever the hell the A's gave Robbie Grossman this offseason.

Free agents next year really suck, which is really unfortunate for us. Man, I wish we had Harper. We'd be set.

OF FA's appear to be: Springer, Ozuna, Pederson, Brantley

None of them interest me really. Ozuna sucks at defense, so no good. Wouldn't touch Brantley due to age/injury. Not interested in a platoon bat in Pederson. Springer is mildly interesting, but the cost on him will take me out on him. 

That means we will need a RF'r via trade, and preferably a Lefty. 

I wonder if we could find a way to get Mike Yastrzemski from the Giants? Maybe they'd view him as out of their window of contention, although his team friendly contract would be difficult to acquire. 

Charlie Blackmon is another interesting name to acquire via trade. Few years left on his contract, although he is old now. Just an awesome hitter tho. I'd imagine the Rockies would give him up for not too much due to contract/age.

Conforto would have been perfect if it wasn't for his surge this year. I think he will be untouchable now.

My favorite would be Joey Gallo, seems like he has 2 more years on his arbitration contract. If he keeps struggling this year, Rangers might be willing to sell low. Absolutely love him as a baseball player!

I'm not really sure of too many other Left handed options. 

IDK about you, but I'd be willing to pay up for Gallo or Yastrzemski. 

On 9/3/2020 at 10:35 AM, Jack Parkman said:

Ideally, I'd want them to sign Bauer and trade for either Nimmo or Conforto. 

What would be a realistic cost for one of those two Mets OF?

With Quintana hurt all year, that's becoming less of a realistic option. 

Brantley is also a more realistic option for RF. 

Either pony up in free agency and sign both bauer and springer

or

go all in and trade kopech & vaughn for degrom & confoto/nimmo/smith/mcneil

Edited by ChiSox1917

On 9/2/2020 at 8:08 AM, hogan873 said:

I agree 100%.  However, because we're so excited about this team is why we are even more excited about the future.  My son and I were made fun of terribly by my wife and daughter (and others) when we were saying 2020 is going to be the beginning of the window for the Sox.  I don't know how many times I heard, in a mocking voice, "2020!" over the past year.  Now here we are, and this team is even better and more exciting than we thought.  It's hard not to think about what this team will be like in 2021, 2022, and beyond.  I'm having more fun watching baseball now than I have in years, and it's really cool knowing this feeling isn't going away any time soon.

Are your wife and daughter Cubs fans? My wife was a lifelong Cubs fan until 2016 when I told her the Cubs supported Trump. Now she is a converted Sox fan (had to do what I had to do lol). I've been telling her the Sox would be good in 2020 but she was impatient because of the Cubs run. Now she is really excited, i was nervous after the Cardinals DH because I stuck my chest out and was looking like a fraud haha.  

Edited by SonofaRoache

10 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Either pony up in free agency and sign both bauer and springer

or

go all in and trade kopech & vaughn for degrom & confoto/nimmo/smith/mcneil

Bauer and Springer probably makes us division favorites for sure and possibly AL favorites if Dunning and Cease end on a high note. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Bauer and Springer probably makes us division favorites for sure and possibly AL favorites if Dunning and Cease end on a high note. 

I think Springer is a no-go because there's no balance in the lineup. They're probably going to sign a pitcher and trade for a LH RF. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think Springer is a no-go because there's no balance in the lineup. They're probably going to sign a pitcher and trade for a LH RF. 

I assume Collins will start the year as DH so they can sort of keep the spot open for Vaughn/Abreu while they also bring in another backup catcher. He gets a couple months at bats in probably the 8th spot until Vaughn is ready giving them at least another temporary lefty bat.

As for our other weak spot, SP, let's see:

Gio, Keuchel, Cease, Dunning gives us 4. I think you have to assume two things: a) Kopech won't be ready b) Keuchel has been lucky this year and is going to regress, possibly hard. 

With the fact that Dunning is a bit unknown, our rotation can definitely fall apart.

We need to get a solid piece for 2021. 

FA's: Trevor Bauer, Marcus Stroman, Tanaka, Taijuana Walker,Minor, Ray, Odorizzi, Quintana, Paxton

Bauer would be huge, but if he's only signing one year deals, I'm not all too interested. I want longer term contracts. Still, a one year Bauer would work as a hold me over until kopech/others are ready. So Bauer would be a decent target depending on $$$$ demanded.

All of the others suck for the most part. I wouldn't touch any of them with a 10 foot pole. 

In terms of trade, I don't know who I'd target either. DeGrom would be close to ideal, but would be a tough bullet, and he is aging. Clevinger would have been ideal, but that ship has sailed. Pulling some trade for Hader/Woodruff would be very intriguing, although I don't buy that the Brewers are selling Woodruff (or where ever contemplating it). I wonder if Blake Snell could be had? Signed through 2023, was in trade discussions in the past. Rays love to trade. If available, Blake Snell would be my primary wish. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I dont think we need a left handed right fielder just for balance.  A lot of our guys hit righties just fine.  Robert, eloy, yasmani, and moncada all have better splits against righties than lefties.  Abreu hits righties to the tune of an .850 ops.  Mazara (who is a left handed right fielded) hits lefties much better than righties.  Thats 6 guys who hit righties to the tune of an .800 ops or better throughout their careers.  

Historically edwin has hit righties well, but this year he has been awful against them.  Anderson and mcann both struggle a bit against righties also.  Engel also cant hit righties to save his life.

Springer on the other hand, even though hes a righty, hits righties at an .825 ops.  We dont need a left handed bat just for the sake of having a left handed right fielder.  We already have that (mazara).  We just need a good right fielder period.  

Our struggles this year against righties (if you can call it that, were still above league average ops against righties) has more to do with lineup construction than they players we have on the roster.

Edited by ChiSox1917
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I assume Collins will start the year as DH so they can sort of keep the spot open for Vaughn/Abreu while they also bring in another backup catcher. He gets a couple months at bats in probably the 8th spot until Vaughn is ready giving them at least another temporary lefty bat.

I think there’s no chance they go into the season with Collins being handed a starting spot.

3 minutes ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

STRONG side of a platoon. With the way we murder lefties, we don't need him against left handers anyway. Plus he plays all three outfield positions which allows for some nice flexibility.

Hes barely an upgrade over mazara.  No thanks.

i will never understand this boards fascination with joc pederson

34 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

As for our other weak spot, SP, let's see:

Gio, Keuchel, Cease, Dunning gives us 4. I think you have to assume two things: a) Kopech won't be ready b) Keuchel has been lucky this year and is going to regress, possibly hard. 

With the fact that Dunning is a bit unknown, our rotation can definitely fall apart.

We need to get a solid piece for 2021. 

FA's: Trevor Bauer, Marcus Stroman, Tanaka, Taijuana Walker,Minor, Ray, Odorizzi, Quintana, Paxton

Bauer would be huge, but if he's only signing one year deals, I'm not all too interested. I want longer term contracts. Still, a one year Bauer would work as a hold me over until kopech/others are ready. So Bauer would be a decent target depending on $$$$ demanded.

All of the others suck for the most part. I wouldn't touch any of them with a 10 foot pole. 

In terms of trade, I don't know who I'd target either. DeGrom would be close to ideal, but would be a tough bullet, and he is aging. Clevinger would have been ideal, but that ship has sailed. Pulling some trade for Hader/Woodruff would be very intriguing, although I don't buy that the Brewers are selling Woodruff (or where ever contemplating it). I wonder if Blake Snell could be had? Signed through 2023, was in trade discussions in the past. Rays love to trade. If available, Blake Snell would be my primary wish. 

Woodruff/hader would cost a fortune.  More than what we got for sale.  Say goodbye to kopech, vaughn, madrigal, and probably two more top 5-10 prospects to get those two

5 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Woodruff/hader would cost a fortune.  More than what we got for sale.  Say goodbye to kopech, vaughn, madrigal, and probably two more top 5-10 prospects to get those two

Would we consider trading Eloy (Baseball Trade Values...Eloy = Woodruff + Hader in trade value)? Maybe Eloy plus Lopez and Collins for Woodruff, Hader and Braun?

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Would we consider trading Eloy (Baseball Trade Values...Eloy = Woodruff + Hader in trade value)? Maybe Eloy plus Lopez and Collins for Woodruff, Hader and Braun?

I wouldnt.  Especially not with bauer available.  Bauer is a perfect signing for this team, especially if hes serious about not wanting a long term deal.  Sox then dont need to compete with the mega $250mil+ deals and can pay him $30 mil next year (if they can get him on a 1 yr+option deal even better).  He eats up payroll before our younger guys get onto the backends of their extensions when their salary goes up.  He holds down the rotation for a year or two when we have payroll flexibility and gives the next crop of arms (crochet, kelley, thompson, and dalquist) time to develop.  

• Like 4