2021 Offseason Prediction: Who We Lose and What Will Be Our Needs?

SouthSideGeorgia

I still say offering 3 years and $30 million, with making the last year a team option would be a fair offer to McCann.  He's good behind the plate and works well with Lucas.  

He might be a platoon hitter but his bat is still pretty valuable vs LHP and he just needs to hit near league average vs RHP to be worth it.  

https://theathletic.com/2057659/2020/09/11/bowden-an-early-ranking-of-the-top-15-free-agents-this-offseason/?source=dailyemail

Bauer has continually said publicly that he’s not interested in signing a multi-year contract and only wants to sign one-year deals for the rest of his career. We’ll see if he holds to his word as he’s certain to get several multi-year offers. If he does sign a one-year contract, it will be among the highest paid in the game on an average annual value basis. He’s had a terrific year with his spin rate spiking across the board and some career-best numbers. However, in his nine-year career, his ERA has been under 4 only three times including this year and under 3 just twice. So if he does sign long term, don’t expect those numbers to come close to a one-year pact. He’s the best starter in this class because of his platform year and teams will be lining up, especially if he keeps his word on only wanting a one-year contract.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

I don't foresee the pen being on the off-season agenda outside of minor league free agents for depth.

CL - Bummer*
SU - Heuer
SU - Marshall
SU - Foster
MR - Fry*
MR - Cordero
RP - Burdi
LR - Crochet* 

Crochet is going to be broken in, in a similar fashion as Buehrle/Sale/Quintana before.

Burdi at the front end can get comfortable with out feeling the pressure to be the "closer".  I'm just hoping Hamilton can make it through and back to the sox; kid has just had bad luck, but is incredibly talented.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beautox said:

I don't foresee the pen being on the off-season agenda outside of minor league free agents for depth.

CL - Bummer*
SU - Heuer
SU - Marshall
SU - Foster
MR - Fry*
MR - Cordero
RP - Burdi
LR - Crochet* 

Crochet is going to be broken in, in a similar fashion as Buehrle/Sale/Quintana before.

Burdi at the front end can get comfortable with out feeling the pressure to be the "closer".  I'm just hoping Hamilton can make it through and back to the sox; kid has just had bad luck, but is incredibly talented.

I don’t think Crotchet is going to be in the pen next year.  They’ll likely want to stretch him out in Birmingham or Charlotte.  And I still think they add at least one veteran reliever to replace Colome and add further depth.  Let guys like Burdi & Tyler Johnson have to force their way onto the roster or otherwise serve as injury insurance.  Can’t go into a season and expect your eight core relievers to be there all year.

10 hours ago, beautox said:

CL - Bummer*
SU - Heuer
SU - Marshall
SU - Foster
MR - Fry*
MR - Cordero
RP - Burdi
LR - Crochet* 

I would rather someone else be the closer and let Bummer and Heuer roam the fires as needed in the late innings.

What does everyone think about the bullpen or possibly the rotation, after Crochet’s inning last night?  I know I’m going to get shelled because it was three batters, but jeesh!  Bit of a wrinkle to think about for the future, which is what this post was about. Getting Bauer would be great & let Crochet have a year in the pen & possible spot starter.  This hopefully will protect his arm some & then unleash him To the rotation in 2022

Edited by Lonchair

Just now, Lonchair said:

What does everyone think about the bullpen or possibly the rotation, after Crochet’s inning last night?  I know I’m going to get shelled because it was three batters, but jeesh!  Bit of a wrinkle to think about for the future, which is what this post was about. Getting Bauer would be great & let Crochet have a year in the pen & possible spot starter. 

I'm not going to shell you for being excited about that debut.  That was some electric stuff there.  I think they brought him in to be a starter, so I would guess Crochet will start in the minors to get the innings.  

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I'm not going to shell you for being excited about that debut.  That was some electric stuff there.  I think they brought him in to be a starter, so I would guess Crochet will start in the minors to get the innings.  

I forgot my plan. Just edited it. 

2 minutes ago, Lonchair said:

I forgot my plan. Just edited it. 

I changed my mind...I think I will shell you for that edited plan :D

Honestly, I'm excited to see what they do.  They might get some veteran arms for the bullpen in the offseason so that could affect where Crochet starts the year.

12 minutes ago, wegner said:

Thanks for the deshelling. I agree with you that he’s targeted for the rotation but that arm will be 22 next year. A lot depends on what we already have, Kopech, Dunning, Cease, Lopez & the minors. Who knows if we go FA/trade for a starter. 
How much fun is this discussing this instead of why Ricky bunts too much!

I love this team!

1 minute ago, Lonchair said:

Thanks for the deshelling. I agree with you that he’s targeted for the rotation but that arm will be 22 next year. A lot depends on what we already have, Kopech, Dunning, Cease, Lopez & the minors. Who knows if we go FA/trade for a starter. 
How much fun is this discussing this instead of why Ricky bunts too much!

I love this team!

And we are gonna have these fun discussions for years with how young this team is.  Terrific profile pic by the way...I love the swagger of this team plus the fact that they all seem to be a bunch of great guys who are easy to root for.

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

And we are gonna have these fun discussions for years with how young this team is.  Terrific profile pic by the way...I love the swagger of this team plus the fact that they all seem to be a bunch of great guys who are easy to root for.

I love the way they get along so much as well. It really shows & I think that is a credit to Ricky, Pito, TA & Hahn for establishing that. Why do you think someone like Puig isn’t in right?  Jose said “We’ll pass”.   From all reports that clubhouse is awesome. Not just jelling, but on a level of a team, & past MLB teams that have won Championships. 
So much to look forward to!

• Love 1

You forgot one major player who is not on the team this year and that is Kopich -I would imagine he is going to be on this staff and from what Isaw of a limited time of Garrett wow. Kopich better have his head out of his ass.  I see lopez and rodan as middle relief .I hope they sign colume.

On 9/19/2020 at 12:09 PM, jaws7575 said:

You forgot one major player who is not on the team this year and that is Kopich -I would imagine he is going to be on this staff and from what Isaw of a limited time of Garrett wow. Kopich better have his head out of his ass.  I see lopez and rodan as middle relief .I hope they sign colume.

😳

• Haha 1

On 9/19/2020 at 12:09 PM, jaws7575 said:

Welcome to Soxtalk.

On 9/1/2020 at 12:43 PM, fathom said:

One of the underrated aspects of how exciting the Sox are right now is that free agents will likely have more of a reason to come here. 

Elite MLB and NBA free agents will continue to use the Sox and Bulls as leverage for better deals elsewhere as long as the current ownership group is in operation.

It will be the same old sighing and gnashing of teeth.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1