9.1.20 GT | Sox @ Twins | 7:10PM CT

Tnetennba

• bmags pinned this topic
1 minute ago, JuliusO1274 said:

So when do with think about playing McCann more considering how much better he has been than Grandal? He should at least be DHing more. 

Playing guys more tends to make them come back to normal. See Mendick, Danny.  McCann's performance, and the team's record compared to his historical performance, could indicate he is being used optimally. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Mendick needs a break. They talk about how he's a contact guy, he has struck out 8 time the last 3 games.  Give him a break and pick his spots. That is when he can shine.

That's fine. Yolmer still sucks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

That's fine. Yolmer still sucks. 

He does, but at least they don't need much offensively from him now. Just play good defense, don't make dumb mistakes on the bases, and everything should be OK. 

This is the role he has always been cut out for. If the Sox could have signed him for what they are paying him, Leury might not be here, or Mendick would have really gotten to know the best places Grubhub delivers from in Schaumburg. 

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Mendick needs a break. They talk about how he's a contact guy, he has struck out 8 time the last 3 games.  Give him a break and pick his spots. That is when he can shine.

Danny's OPS this year is down to .685.

Yolmers career OPS is .656

Once you add their defense to the equation, they are not much different players.

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Playing guys more tends to make them come back to normal. See Mendick, Danny.  McCann's performance, and the team's record compared to his historical performance, could indicate he is being used optimally. 

On the other hand, Yasmani Grandal's performance being far down compared to his usual performance argues that even if McCann's performance doesn't stay at "best player in the league" level, giving Grandal some more time off and using McCann more is likely to provide a solid benefit overall. 

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yolmer isn't even that great at 3B, please heal up quick Moncada.

He's pretty good. No data since 2018, but UZR has him at 6.3 for his career. So, not Arenado, but not Sano either.

He gives it all back with his bat, but the defense is solid, at least for a few games.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

On the other hand, Yasmani Grandal's performance being far down compared to his usual performance argues that even if McCann's performance doesn't stay at "best player in the league" level, giving Grandal some more time off and using McCann more is likely to provide a solid benefit overall. 

Last weekend Ricky started Grandal at catcher for a day game after he caught a 4 hour game the night before. Nothing like keeping Grandal fresh. Not surprisingly, Grandal had a brutal game (Saturday I believe it was).

I really feel good about Keuchel tonight. He will get the twins pounding it into yolmer's waiting glove. I also like Grandal in the 2 spot to get Pineda's pitch count up. I doubt Pineda makes it through the lineup 2 full times if Sox can be patient...and having him 2nd really helps that before the boppers swing away. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Guys relax, Yolmer hits Pineda pretty good.  The Sox have really good numbers against Pineda.  If they pounce early, they will cruise to a series win.  I am debating on breaking my rule of making bets on teams I root for.

Only if you were the Twins manager. Sox have to steamroll them while they are down and grill some Twinkie burgers on the Hibachi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

Only if you were the Twins manager. Sox have to steamroll them while they are down and grill some Twinkie burgers on the Hibachi.

I agree hopefully RR gets them prepped for this game tonight.  Win tonight and tomorrow, well... it's most likely a L

9 minutes ago, daggins said:

He's pretty good. No data since 2018, but UZR has him at 6.3 for his career. So, not Arenado, but not Sano either.

He gives it all back with his bat, but the defense is solid, at least for a few games.

Yea solid is how I'd describe it.  Just a bummer to have to carry his bat again.

51 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

McCann's new normal is not his historical normal. People said the same thing last year and now he has come out of the gate even better this year. Even if he cooled off towards the end last year his superior playing is not a fluke. 

• Like 2