Clevinger wanted to be White Sox

southsider2k5

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Me thinks a lot of dudes are going to want to be White Sox this offseason.  Hopefully Jerry is willing to spend a little cash.  

Hopefully they resign James McCann. I think he needs to be a bigger priority than what people are saying he will actually be. Figure it out, he's a major reason this team is where it is.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

Hopefully they resign James McCann. I think he needs to be a bigger priority than what people are saying he will actually be. Figure it out, he's a major reason this team is where it is.

It's doubtful that James McCann wants to return. He's going to go be the starter somewhere. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's doubtful that James McCann wants to return. He's going to go be the starter somewhere. 

Yeah McCann is gone. After declining options on EE, Cishek and Gonzalez, they should sign Joc to a short term deal and bat him 5th and move down Grandal to around 7 until he shows his power has returned. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I would say it is doubtful that McCann will get a deal from the Sox that is satisfactory to him in both money and PT, over saying he doesn't want to return.  It seems like this entire team is friends and he would like to stay for the run.  Just my opinion though 

• Thanks 1

Seems like the Sox could pretty easily make McCann a competitive offer in terms of $$ (ignoring Covid impacts on future Sox payrolls which are unknown at this point).

The real problem is that it would effectively block Vaughn since Abreu is signed for 2 more years and to have any hope of signing McCann, you'd have to assume both he and Grandal would be playing plenty of DH.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tray said:

If you have watched the gales this year you would know that McCann is not a "bench player"  which is kind of an oxyMoron.

He's only played in 17 games. That's pretty much a backup. only half the games

Edited by ptatc

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Here is the other thing this tells us, assuming Chuck’s report is accurate, which I’m going to assume it is. 

The Sox had to be pretty close to getting Clevenger. This was the report from MLB.com:

Abreu talks of meeting
José Abreu was one of seven White Sox players who took part in a pre-Trade Deadline meeting Sunday in Chicago with White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, general manager Rick Hahn and executive vice president Ken Williams.

“I felt so honored just to be considered to be a part of that meeting,” said Abreu through interpreter Billy Russo. “It was like a family gathering, like a family discussion about the state of the team and what we wanted to do and how we wanted to approach different things.

“We were able to just be on the same page about what we want to do. For us as players, it was a very important, a very honest meeting. We shared our opinions about things, and moving forward, we're going to be as good as we have been, or even better. It was a very, very good meeting for all of us.”

——-

While we don’t know when this phone call with Anderson took place, it’s certainly possible Hahn was asking the group if they felt comfortable adding someone like Clev to the locker room, and credit to Tim for picking up the phone. I also don’t think he does that if the trade isn’t pretty close to being done. Want to make clear I’m working 100% off the information presented by the media and nothing else, but it seems like this makes sense. 

That is a great catch Tony.  That information put together makes a lot of sense.  I would imagine there was some discussion both about who they could get, and who they could lose, and how that would affect the team.