Clevinger wanted to be White Sox

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The signing was a bad allocation of resources and bad roster construction. The three hitting acquisitions are the three worst players in the lineup. If the Sox were to contend this year, they needed a RF, and sign a LF to put Eloy at DH vs. the Adam Dunn 3.0 and Grandal.

Adding a power hitting left handed OBP-centric catcher in a season where McCann had his first good season of his career, and even then tailed off pretty impressively at the end of the season, was not a bad allocation.  There was a much better chance of McCann returning this historic norms, versus keeping up at an all-star pace.  There is also the chance that his impact this season has been partially because of playing favorable match ups in this platoon with Grandal.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Grandal should get better with working with the staff once he gets more time and he is a good pitch framer. That said, terrible or elite are bridges too far. He is on the wrong side of 30, and someone whose recent comps are Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Alex Avila shouldn't be a candidate for the biggest contract ever, but that is where the front office has taken us.

Grandal career similarity scores: Stan Lopata, John Romano, Chris Hoiles, Jarrod Saltalamacchia & Alex Avila.

Grandal's age similarity scores: Jarrod Saltalmacchia (25-28) & Todd Hundley (29-30).

Baseball Reference doesn’t have a framing score for catchers. He compares in a general hitting style to those two with high walk rates, high strikeout rates, and decent power, but that’s it. He’s better in all those categories and he has better defensive catching stats than those two. Catchers are just an ugly position.

3 hours ago, mqr said:

Idk if I mentioned it here, but I definitely had conversations where I said there's like a 95% chance a huge chunk of Sox fans hate Grandal even he does exactly what he's done the past few years. 

His positive traits are quiet, and you kinda have to spend too much time thinking about baseball to appreciate some of them, whereas the negative parts are pretty loud (ie low BA, not particularly spectacular power, blocking issues etc.)

For sure. As someone who loves walks, quality ABs, and "the little things", I've been perfectly fine with Grandal's performance. The idea that he has been bad only exists because McCann has hit so well

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/2/2020 at 5:13 PM, MackowiakYakYak said:

Baseball Reference doesn’t have a framing score for catchers. He compares in a general hitting style to those two with high walk rates, high strikeout rates, and decent power, but that’s it. He’s better in all those categories and he has better defensive catching stats than those two. Catchers are just an ugly position.

While I do agree catchers have the widest range of input/calculation among current defensive position WAR calculations, people keep posting Baseball Reference dWAR doesn't include framing on Soxtalk, but it isn't true.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/about/war_explained_position.shtml

Fielding Runs: Defensive Runs Saved

• Catcher handling of the pitching staff via things like pitch framing and pitch calling

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

While I do agree catchers have the widest range of input/calculation among current defensive position WAR calculations, people keep posting Baseball Reference dWAR doesn't include framing on Soxtalk, but it isn't true.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/about/war_explained_position.shtml

Fielding Runs: Defensive Runs Saved

• Catcher handling of the pitching staff via things like pitch framing and pitch calling

https://sabr.org/latest/lynch-pitch-framing-measures-added-to-baseball-reference-com/

I completely missed this thread when it originally started, but unless that terrible Sports Mockery article is missing a lot of context, how did we jump from "Tim Anderson personally called Clevinger to discuss the possibility of being teammates. " to him wanting and preferring to be traded to the Sox?

Glad it didn't happen though, I find Clevinger to be a douche and nice to see Bucket's nugget about the Sox players vetoing his acquisition.

On 9/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah McCann is gone. After declining options on EE, Cishek and Gonzalez, they should sign Joc to a short term deal and bat him 5th and move down Grandal to around 7 until he shows his power has returned. 

What is the joc love affair....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1