Tom Seaver died

Buehrle>Wood

Tom Seaver was like Mark Buehrle. Smooth although he did throw harder than Mark. Seaver was so good even in his advanced age he was damn effective for the White Sox. Rest in peace. He was a true star.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

Very lucky to have met him out here a few times in Napa. First time, he HECKLED me while I was throwing wiffle balls to my then 5 year old kid while wearing a white Sox hat at the local burger joint. Said I needed to throw strikes. Second time was a few years ago at our bakery while in line - his hands were filthy and he had pruning shears on his belt. We talked briefly about harvest. He was a legit farmer and loved the work. Third time was a couple years ago when he threw out the first pitch for our local little league. God rest his soul - he was a great talent and man!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, napa_soxfan said:

Very lucky to have met him out here a few times in Napa. First time, he HECKLED me while I was throwing wiffle balls to my then 5 year old kid while wearing a white Sox hat at the local burger joint. Said I needed to throw strikes. Second time was a few years ago at our bakery while in line - his hands were filthy and he had pruning shears on his belt. We talked briefly about harvest. He was a legit farmer and loved the work. Third time was a couple years ago when he threw out the first pitch for our local little league. God rest his soul - he was a great talent and man!

Thanks for sharing.

I remember watching him win his 300th game with a rookie named Ozzie Guillen playing shortstop.  That team also included Harold Baines, Daryl Boston,  Greg Walker, Ron Kittle, and Tom Paciorek.  All those guys worked for the White Sox in some capacity through the years and there may have been others too.  

I also remember when Seaver earned a win in 2 games on the same day for the Sox.  Finishing one game in relief before starting and throwing 8.1 innings in another game.  

All that was in the twilight of his career.  I don’t know if it makes any sense to say a Hall of Fame pitcher is underrated, but I feel like his name doesn’t come up with some of the great pitchers of all time, but it definitely deserves to.  

RIP Tom Terrific.  

I'll never forget the 1969 Mets. In mid season Ron Santo ran his big fat stupid mouth off and started trash talking about the Mets. Santo said the Mets infield belonged in Tacoma. (At that time Tacoma had a minor league team) A few weeks later the Mets started winning and the Cubs started losing.The Mets wound up beating out the Cubs by 8 games. At the end of the 1969 season Seaver  called Santo "Pizza Man". That nickname stuck with Santo the rest of his career.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Without looking, didnt we have both Seaver and Koosman on same roster, like a Met cast offs thing? What a great guy and pitcher i recall him winning his 300th game as a Sox. RIP Tom

Jan 20-Feb 15, 1984, they may have thought they’d be Sox teammates, but Koosman was traded to the Phillies.