The grandal hate is vastly overblown

Dominikk85

14 hours ago, gusguyman said:

MX5KjY1.png

Not sure whose framing stat you were checking (since there are a few out there now), but fangraphs has Grandal tied for 4th in their framing stat (FRM). FWIW rSZ is the framing stat from SIS, and they actually have Grandal 1st in the league right now.

Grandal's fWAR would be even higher, in fact, if he wasn't getting demolished in rCERA right now, and I think he has gotten pretty unlucky there.

This is crazy.  I can't believe Contreras is where he is.  He frames like an 8th grader.  He violently pulled every pitch to the middle of the zone.  I can't wait for robo umps just to kill all this stupid framing talk.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Also crazy that Grandal has a higher OBP than Abreu right now.

That's not crazy at all.  I would be shocked if it was opposite of that.  OBP is Grandal's best skill, and clearly not what Abreu is focused on.  

With that said though, I get what you are saying.  With all the negative attention towards Grandal, he is still getting his walks.  He has basically been the player he has always been.

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

That's not crazy at all.  I would be shocked if it was opposite of that.  OBP is Grandal's best skill, and clearly not what Abreu is focused on.  

Yeah, in most years, it would be a no-brainer that Grandal would have a higher OBP.  But this year, Abreu is having an MVP caliber year and "Grandal sucks" according to some people here. I'm saying it's crazy based on how people feel about both THIS year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, in most years, it would be a no-brainer that Grandal would have a higher OBP.  But this year, Abreu is having an MVP caliber year and "Grandal sucks" according to some people here. I'm saying it's crazy based on how people feel about both THIS year.

Well, its almost like there is more than one statistical category that should be considered.  Grandal's OBP being .002 higher is not really an indication that he is killing it, he is just doing what he does.  Grandal has also K'd more than Abreu, in 40(ish) fewer PAs.  Not to mention that Abreu's OPS is more than 200 points higher.  

I just don't really understand comparing those guys honestly.  They are such different players.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Well, its almost like there is more than one statistical category that should be considered.  Grandal's OBP being .002 higher is not really an indication that he is killing it, he is just doing what he does.  Grandal has also K'd more than Abreu, in 40(ish) fewer PAs.  Not to mention that Abreu's OPS is more than 200 points higher.  

I just don't really understand comparing those guys honestly.  They are such different players.  

I wasn't trying to make some grand point. I was simply saying that if you asked a bunch of people on this message board to guess which guy has gotten on base more between Abreu and Grandal based only on watching the games and without looking at any stats, most (including me) would have guessed Abreu.  That's all I was saying. I wasn't trying to get into some debate/discussion about the value of different stats, and I wasn't trying to claim that Grandal has been killing it.

I apologize for not being clear. I certainly wasn't trying to compare the two players based on that one simple stat. 

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Grandal is good offensively, but his gamecalling sucks and it's not surprising at all that the pitchers prefer throwing to McCann. It's something for Grandal to work on this winter. 

If Grandal hasn’t worked on his game-calling at this point in his career, it ain’t happening bud.

And outside of Giolito, who has come out and said they prefer McCann catching them?

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Grandal is good offensively, but his gamecalling sucks and it's not surprising at all that the pitchers prefer throwing to McCann. It's something for Grandal to work on this winter. 

Where do you get these hot takes? Is there like a fortune cookie for bad baseball takes you get somewhere?

Edited by Chisoxmb35
  • Haha 2

On 9/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Dallas Keuchel praised his game calling yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/3/2020 at 6:15 AM, Dominikk85 said:

Grandal is underperforming a little but he still has a quite solid season. Sure you would want him a bit better and he will likely get there but he always was a streaky hitter who strikes out and gets a lot of his value by walks.

He is only hitting 226 but has a 345 obp and a solid 106 wRC+. He also has 0.7 war which is a 3 war full season pace.

That is not quite what you hoped for but he definitely isn't a black hole and only should get better.

Started hammering the ball after this post. lol. Now he's slashing .257/.376/.440 (.816 OPS). That is elite as hell for a catcher. AND he's one of the best defensively. What more do the people want?

It was ALWAYS stupid. People declaring him a failure over 15-20 games? What a joke. 

• Like 6