Just put Moncada on the IL already....

Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

So are the leg and PCFS related? It almost sounds like they are independent issues here, and he did play well after coming back from COVID early in the season. It wasn't until he started coming up lame every time he runs that his performance went off the cliff. I wonder if PCFS has prevented him from being able to properly take care of his muscles (no energy for warm ups, conditioning, etc)

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I’m torn on whether or not he should still be playing. Sox desperately need his lefty bat in the order, but he’s clearly struggling and has been more of a hinderance than anything else the last few weeks.  On the other hand, you have to be careful that his leg issues don’t lead to a more significant injury to his knee or Achilles due to having to run differently.

I'm more worried that this is indicating an underlying cardiac issue.

Didn’t see this posted anywhere, but Fegan has a write-up on how COVID has been impacting Moncada with quotes from Yoan himself.  It’s very clear he’ll be battling this along with his left leg issue the rest of the season.

https://theathletic.com/2043628/2020/09/04/a-daily-battle-months-later-yoan-moncada-is-still-affected-by-covid-19/?source=user_shared_article

Yeah, I put RR's [mis] management of Moncada's playing time under RR being a poor strategic manager.

[Going back to when this thread was started] If one of your more important players wasn't feeling right, AND there was an odd day off here and there, AND the opponents over the preceding ~10 days [shittsburgh and KC] were some of the weaker ones on the schedule, why NOT sit Moncada then?

Looking forward, there are 2 KC games and 2 shittsburg games and 2 off days on the schedule. THEN, a grind that includes tougher competition and no more scheduled days off until the end of the regular season. A decent manager could/would find a day or off, so that Yoan can give it it his best for the stretch run & playoffs.

But, I have little optimism that RR will have enough foresight to take care of his players in this way. He simply isn't smart enough.  

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Moncada’s at-bats looked much improved last night. Hopefully it’s a sign that he’s feeling a little better.

Yes. Looking forward to the next week to see if YoYo Is back.  Of course if he gets hot for a week, all that running just might make him turn up lame again. Hopefully he gets to trot around the bases a few times !

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, I put RR's [mis] management of Moncada's playing time under RR being a poor strategic manager.

[Going back to when this thread was started] If one of your more important players wasn't feeling right, AND there was an odd day off here and there, AND the opponents over the preceding ~10 days [shittsburgh and KC] were some of the weaker ones on the schedule, why NOT sit Moncada then?

Looking forward, there are 2 KC games and 2 shittsburg games and 2 off days on the schedule. THEN, a grind that includes tougher competition and no more scheduled days off until the end of the regular season. A decent manager could/would find a day or off, so that Yoan can give it it his best for the stretch run & playoffs.

But, I have little optimism that RR will have enough foresight to take care of his players in this way. He simply isn't smart enough.  

That makes no sense. The Sox have a Trainer and Training staff. They along w some input from the player would decide if a player should be in the lineup, on the bench or on the IL.  I don't think the FO would allow the manager to use a player if the Trainer feels they should not. 

• Like 1

I’ve read about the the COVID “long haulers” last week and the lasting effects that it has on young, once-healthy and active people are down right scary. It took some people 6 months to just regain ability to perform everyday tasks without feeling fatigued, and some aren’t event out of it. Now obviously, Yoan isn’t impacted to the same degree, but it is well-documented at this point COVID could cause serious fatigue issues post infection and there is no studies done yet if and how much time professional athletes need to regain ability to play their sports at elite level. I just hope for Yoan’s well being that he could have a full recovery in the near future.

Here’s the link to the long hauler syndromes only for those who are interested to reading more on it.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/briannasacks/covid-long-haulers-who-coronavirus

• Like 1

Red faber missed the postseason and much of the second half of 1919, along with having one of his worst years because of the spanish flu.

The best thing for moncada right now would be to rest.  Shut him down for the rest of the year and let yolmer take his place.  Not much difference between the two of them offensively at the moment

23 hours ago, SCCWS said:

That makes no sense. The Sox have a Trainer and Training staff. They along w some input from the player would decide if a player should be in the lineup, on the bench or on the IL.  I don't think the FO would allow the manager to use a player if the Trainer feels they should not. 

I agree. Moncada is a highly paid star player who should be in the lineup almost every day. Either he is healthy and then he needs to play (except for an off day or two) or he is injured and then the medical staff needs to speak out and put him on the DL. 

Moncada did get a few off days but playing a star player in his prime part time makes no sense, if a couple off days don't resolve it he needs to be on the DL.

On 9/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I can tell you from personal experience it sucks. I drive for a living and its scary sometimes. You never know when it's going to hit you, all of the sudden you feel like you haven't slept in 24+ hours. If you ever went to college, imagine what it feels like after pulling an all nighter and the red bull/monster wears off. It's tough to fight through that constantly. I go to bed earlier and sleep less than I ever have before. 

I'm not sure if my sense of smell will ever return. It's not completely gone but it has to be a really distinct, pungent odor to smell it. 

On the plus side, used to have really bad nasal allergies and those are gone. My sinuses have never been as clear, though they're very itchy. I got sick in March. 

That itchiness is probably your allergies manifesting differently.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wish we knew more about the condition here.  I mean at its core, we don't know if it is something that is better to work through or wait to recover from.  We have so little actual knowledge here.

Yeah, I think he'll be ok next year. All we can do is wait and hope. 

I said in late July that I'd give Moncada a pass for this year. Covid is a legit injury, and he's honestly done better than I expected. 

Edited by Jack Parkman