RR

WBWSF

I've never been in the Rick Renteria should be fired club. I've been in the Rick Hahn should be fired club for years. After last  nights game  I'm beginning to wonder about Renteria. Last nights game was probably the worse game of the season. Hopefully the team will put the game behind them and start winning again. Still, last night Steve Stone said  that McCann had the best  White Sox hitting results against  Berrios. Yet McCann sat on the bench last night. The White Sox have a DH whos not hitting his weight against anybody and he was in the lineup instead of McCann. When I see things like this I actually wonder how serious the White Sox management team  is about actually winning games.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I've never been in the Rick Renteria should be fired club. I've been in the Rick Hahn should be fired club for years. After last  nights game  I'm beginning to wonder about Renteria. Last nights game was probably the worse game of the season. Hopefully the team will put the game behind them and start winning again. Still, last night Steve Stone said  that McCann had the best  White Sox hitting results against  Berrios. Yet McCann sat on the bench last night. The White Sox have a DH whos not hitting his weight against anybody and he was in the lineup instead of McCann. When I see things like this I actually wonder how serious the White Sox management team  is about actually winning games.

Well, it could be that David Samson was telling the truth. I don't want to believe that, but it could be. 

I agree with standing pat at the deadline and making sure all stones are turned in-house before making trades. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Renteria has no business coaching anything more than a little league team

And the front office who hired Renteria should not be the ones replacing Renteria. 

• The Blackhawks won three recent Stanley Cups and McDonough was held accountable.
  • Gar / Pax left with a winning cumulative record, and some playoff success (and executive of the year honors)
  • Maddon won a World Series and was let go three seasons later.

Meanwhile Kenny "One Shining Moment" Williams is entering a third decade in a senior role, Don Cooper will die (could be dead already) as pitching coach, and Rick Hahn has zero winning seasons, whether "trying" or "tanking".  Time to clean house from top to bottom, though unlikely to happen with Reinsdorf's group. Must be nice to screw up your job and write yourself a five year extension "plan", and then blame others when your draft selections and free agent signings have failed on a consistent basis, with success limited to tanking trades netting people drafted by others and Cuban signings, now restricted with the rule changes / spending caps.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the very least, there should be some serious thinking about Renteria and the entire field management staff during the off-season. The rebuild has to move onto its next stage. Theo saw or took an opportunity to get Maddon and said good-bye to Renteria. Perhaps the Sox should do the same. But change comes hard for this organization as we all know. I think this off-season will be a real indicator of how serious the White Sox are about turning the club into an elite franchise. Or will it be happy winning 84 games?

• Like 1

Obviously he is not getting fired in season while making the post season but I could see them upgrading next season.

I don't think he is as bad as people think because some of his moves are questionable but also caused by constraints of the roster, especially a solid but not very deep bullpen which means that sometimes you have to risk losing a game and hoping a struggling pitcher gets out of it but I also think it would be possible to get an upgrade if the right guy becomes available.

Ultimately it will depend on how the team does in the post season. If the sox lose in the first round RR might be gone. But if they make the WS or at least the semifinal (is it still called ALCS?) he will probably stay.

I think he is getting along well with the players and keeps them happy so that is worth something but tactically it would be possible to get an upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Obviously he is not getting fired in season while making the post season but I could see them upgrading next season.

I don't think he is as bad as people think because some of his moves are questionable but also caused by constraints of the roster, especially a solid but not very deep bullpen which means that sometimes you have to risk losing a game and hoping a struggling pitcher gets out of it but I also think it would be possible to get an upgrade if the right guy becomes available.

Ultimately it will depend on how the team does in the post season. If the sox lose in the first round RR might be gone. But if they make the WS or at least the semifinal (is it still called ALCS?) he will probably stay.

I think he is getting along well with the players and keeps them happy so that is worth something but tactically it would be possible to get an upgrade.

Also EE and grandal haven't been that bad recently. EE had a 110 wrc+ in august and grandal had a 128 wrc+ in august.

The difficulty in evaluating RR is we as fans don't know what the front office might be directing him to do.  The decision to start Lopez yesterday, or to keep putting Mazara in the lineup, could be coming from Hahn to better inform him of what roster moves should be made in the offseason.  The bad at bats and sloppy defense could also be blamed on RR in part, but the players are professionals and need to take personal responsibility for those things as well.

With that said, the decision yesterday to bench McCann and pitch Cordero were almost certainly his, and were objectively wrong decisions.

• Like 1

Renteria is incompetent at this job. But it shouldn't have been last night's game to come to this conclusion.

However, I'd launch Rick Hahn right along with him for his continued failures in free agency and veteran trades.  The only veteran worth a damn from this offseason has been Keuchel.   Grandal, EE, Mazara, Cishek, Gonzalez have all been terrible.     Renteria can only play the players handed to him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

He said Reinsdorf told him he should always aim to finish in second place or something along those lines. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaredwyllys/2019/10/05/chicago-white-sox-owner-jerry-reinsdorfs-comments-show-destructive-approach/#570f364872f1

“Here’s my best advice to you: Finish in second place every single year,” Samson claims Reinsdorf told him. “Because your fans will say, ‘Wow, we’ve got a shot. We’re in it.’ But there’s always the carrot left. There’s always one more step to take.”

With the new 16 team playoff farce, teams can now shoot for a third/fourth place carrot.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

I don’t think it’s necessarily Rick Hahn’s fault. The players still have to perform. If they don’t than that falls on the manager to get them ready for the game and putting them in the best possible situations to win the game. Based on all that, I think the Sox should give him a chance to coach the team for the rest of the season and in the playoffs and than evaluate him in the offseason.

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Another concern is that he could get Stone fired before long at this rate. That would be a regional tragedy. You know Steve's filter is wearing thinner and thinner.

Yeah, he was on a roll last night.  He's as tired of seeing the clown show as we are.  

10 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Renteria is incompetent at this job. But it shouldn't have been last night's game to come to this conclusion.

However, I'd launch Rick Hahn right along with him for his continued failures in free agency and veteran trades.  The only veteran worth a damn from this offseason has been Keuchel.   Grandal, EE, Mazara, Cishek, Gonzalez have all been terrible.     Renteria can only play the players handed to him. 

Hahn has had successes and failures.  But I personally think the successes have been on far more important matters (acquiring great talent in trades and signing them to extensions) than his failures (signing EE and Gonzalez to low-cost 1 year deals).

Samson says Reinsdorf said always finish in second

Jesus fucking christ knock it off with these conspiracy theories. The guy forked over like 150M in new players this offseason + about 140M in extensions this past offseason. Why is this being brought up right now in THIS thread? Because Renteria is a "cheap" manager? Get the fuck out of here. Because at the present moment the team is 7 games above .500 and a W out of first place?

You really enjoy getting the board fired up, huh @Jack Parkman? There are a select group of trolls on this board and you're certainly one of them. You're a disgrace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Hahn has had successes and failures.  But I personally think the successes have been on far more important matters (acquiring great talent in trades and signing them to extensions) than his failures (signing EE and Gonzalez to low-cost 1 year deals).

Hahh has done a lot of good in that department.   But the GM position is about winning.  There have been plenty GMs out there who can build a good farm an good young core of talent, but ultimately you need to get that last push with acquiring veteran talent to get you over the top.    Starting from his first veteran move which was Keppinger to today,  Rick Hahn has a terrible track record in that department. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And the front office who hired Renteria should not be the ones replacing Renteria. 

• The Blackhawks won three recent Stanley Cups and McDonough was held accountable.
  • Gar / Pax left with a winning cumulative record, and some playoff success (and executive of the year honors)
  • Maddon won a World Series and was let go three seasons later.

Meanwhile Kenny "One Shining Moment" Williams is entering a third decade in a senior role, Don Cooper will die (could be dead already) as pitching coach, and Rick Hahn has zero winning seasons, whether "trying" or "tanking".  Time to clean house from top to bottom, though unlikely to happen with Reinsdorf's group. Must be nice to screw up your job and write yourself a five year extension "plan", and then blame others when your draft selections and free agent signings have failed on a consistent basis, with success limited to tanking trades netting people drafted by others and Cuban signings, now restricted with the rule changes / spending caps.

Holy shit, man. You want Hahn fired... now? The vision is finally coming together and you want him fired?

Calm tf down. Ricky has to go. He will this off-season. 

• Like 3