FS: Midseason Top 30 Prospects List

Y2Jimmy0

• Quin pinned this topic

Thanks. Nice work. To me, the key upper level prospect is Rutherford. Any word on how he looks in Schaumburg? If he takes a leap, you could see him as a platoon 8 hitter with Engel.  Otherwise, you got six guys playing in the bigs in 2021 Robert, Vaughn, Kopech, Madrigal, Dunning, and probably Stiever. Then suddenly the Sox have Crochet, a bunch of high school righthanders and a ton of right-handed young lottery tickets like Ramos, Bailey, and Gladney.  That sounds like a bottom ten farm system. 

For me, time has just about run out on Sheets and Adolfo. I have Burger ahead of both of them cuz they're all basically 1b/dh types and only one of them can actually hit.

If none of the outfield options pan out for RF that will be a big bummer on what was a perceived strength, but the lineup is basically completely locked until 2024 for most positions, so lack of position prospects isn't a huge deal. Glad to see so many pitching prospects that could pan out. Looks like sox can draft another year of pitching and then really start focusing on getting the catcher and SS of the future via draft. 

• Like 1

Curious about the big 4 of young pitching prospects from the last two drafts - Thompson, Dalquist, Crochet, and Kelly.

As the article stated, Crochet could be a quick mover. What's a realistic timeframe for him to eventually make a major league impact if all goes well? What about with the 3 high school guys?

• Like 1

Wild looking at this list and now so many either already contributing or on the cusp. Special times.

This time next year our top ten is going to be pretty wild, going to be fun in a different way now to watch the minors and looking for which of our young talent starts to distinguish itself.

41 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

If none of the outfield options pan out for RF that will be a big bummer on what was a perceived strength, but the lineup is basically completely locked until 2024 for most positions, so lack of position prospects isn't a huge deal. Glad to see so many pitching prospects that could pan out. Looks like sox can draft another year of pitching and then really start focusing on getting the catcher and SS of the future via draft. 

well, we'd get hopefully some new shots at RF with Colas or Cespedes (...or vaughn 🤯)

I’m not too worried about our system right now. We built it in a way to have our talent reach the majors at the same time. That goal has been quite successful at this point. I mean look at the talent that has graduated in the last 3 years. I expect us to start building our system younger towards when we will be losing some of our guys. I think next draft could be heavy on prep position players.

5 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I’m not too worried about our system right now. We built it in a way to have our talent reach the majors at the same time. That goal has been quite successful at this point. I mean look at the talent that has graduated in the last 3 years. I expect us to start building our system younger towards when we will be losing some of our guys. I think next draft could be heavy on prep position players.

Yeah as long as we produce enough guys to use as trade bait, I will be content with the system. 

Just now, knightni said:

Does Sheets have much trade value?

Could they package him and a pitching prospect and find a young RF prospect? - Or would that be a draft/free agent concern for 2021?

Sheets doesn’t seem to have the agility to play outfield IMO, but I’m willing to give it a chance. No minor leagues really hurt him this year, as he likely has very little trade value right now.

59 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Thanks. Nice work. To me, the key upper level prospect is Rutherford. Any word on how he looks in Schaumburg? If he takes a leap, you could see him as a platoon 8 hitter with Engel.  Otherwise, you got six guys playing in the bigs in 2021 Robert, Vaughn, Kopech, Madrigal, Dunning, and probably Stiever. Then suddenly the Sox have Crochet, a bunch of high school righthanders and a ton of right-handed young lottery tickets like Ramos, Bailey, and Gladney.  That sounds like a bottom ten farm system. 

For me, time has just about run out on Sheets and Adolfo. I have Burger ahead of both of them cuz they're all basically 1b/dh types and only one of them can actually hit.

This is where the White Sox trade philosophy for the Eaton/Sale/Q trades comes into play.  They very clearly concentrated on quality over quantity in these deals.  They wanted as many top guys as they could get, versus taking a return like Cleveland did for Clevinger where they got less stars, but more mid level type guys so they got more volume than we got.  We also seem to really have tried to time the arrival of the first wave to get here as clumped together as possible, which means the system would be cleaned out more all at once than if we had staggered the guys a bit more.

This is where the next international class comes into play.  We have some high level guys that we have brought in with the last two drafts, and we have more potential guys coming in the next couple of international classes if we can hit a home run here.  It is also where all of the HS and former intentional picks need to start picking up the slack.  If we start getting some breakouts out of these overslot HS picks, we can start filling in the gaps of the system.  Otherwise things will drop off majorly instead of just a bit.

• Like 1

Sheets (and generally the 23-25 yo college guys) is really hurt by that cancelled milb season.

Sheets did take a step forward last year hitting decently in AA last year with 16 homers and with another step forward he could have helped his prospect status. A strong season at age 24 would have been nice but now he was not able to build on that and next year he is 25 which is nearing the "non prospect" age. 

Obviously some of those older non prospects can still become dudes (like JD Martinez or jose bautista) but that is rather rare.

Vaughn is hurt a little too but he is a bit younger and he is so advanced that his development is mostly finished so it doesn't hurt him as much.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Sheets (and generally the 23-25 yo college guys) is really hurt by that cancelled milb season.

Sheets did take a step forward last year hitting decently in AA last year with 16 homers and with another step forward he could have helped his prospect status. A strong season at age 24 would have been nice but now he was not able to build on that and next year he is 25 which is nearing the "non prospect" age. 

Obviously some of those older non prospects can still become dudes (like JD Martinez or jose bautista) but that is rather rare.

Vaughn is hurt a little too but he is a bit younger and he is so advanced that his development is mostly finished so it doesn't hurt him as much.

Good point. The one thing though is they really put all the "potential MLB talent" at the Schaumburg site...and that to me may be better than a minors short season as they are getting high quality instruction and facing our best young pitchers. Evaluation is easier when everyone is around each other all the time.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Crotchet is officially the 99th ranked prospect now due to graduations.  Very exciting to finally have another guy make the list after the big four prospects.  Hopefully we have a few more guys make the leap next year including Kelley and Stiever.

Man I’m loving focusing on Major League Baseball but getting a prospect list* like this makes me miss getting 6 box scores a day and following these guys.

*albeit one filled with guys I’m already able to watch up here

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man I’m loving focusing on Major League Baseball but getting a prospect list* like this makes me miss getting 6 box scores a day and following these guys.

*albeit one filled with guys I’m already able to watch up here

100% agree, was thinking about this when I was going through the 16 to 30 list.  We finally have a bunch of exciting young talents in the lower levels, but don’t get to watch them progress via box score this year.  It’s a major bummer, but hopefully next year is worth a wait.  That Kanny roster should be loaded to make up for lost time.