FS: Midseason Top 30 Prospects List

Y2Jimmy0

• 2 weeks later...

Considering that Kelley was ranked significantly higher than Crotchet pre-draft I expect he isn't too far from being Top 100 either

Next Year our top 5 prospects should be Vaughn, Crotchet, Kelley, Thompson, Adolfo

Not too bad with a ML team loaded with youth and more additions coming via draft and J2

We need one OFer,  a RFer, Eloy will stay in LF until Jose Abreu career is complete. He and Andrew Vaughn will be the 1B/DH combo. Eloy would only be a DH if we needed one. We have enough DH candidates at the moment. Abreu, Vaughn, Collins, Yermin, Grandal and McCann can all rotate at DH even when EE is gone next year there will be no shortage. If the Cubs can live with Scwarber we can live with Eloy in LF.

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Nice work @y2jimmy0 !

Do you consider Micker Adolfo and or Blake Rutherford to be able to cover one or two of the current outfield holes (RF and LF - Move Eloy is a DH before he literally kills himself out there) able to be considered a regular outfielder by 2022?

I honestly don't think either of those guys are part of the mix in Chicago. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jnooch said:

We need one OFer,  a RFer, Eloy will stay in LF until Jose Abreu career is complete. He and Andrew Vaughn will be the 1B/DH combo. Eloy would only be a DH if we needed one. We have enough DH candidates at the moment. Abreu, Vaughn, Collins, Yermin, Grandal and McCann can all rotate at DH even when EE is gone next year there will be no shortage. If the Cubs can live with Scwarber we can live with Eloy in LF.

It's not what we can or cannot live with, it's whether Eloy will remain alive or continue to get injured attempting to play left field.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/white-sox-eloy-jimenez-continues-to-run-into-things-in-left-field-and-that-should-cause-concern-in-chicago/

"I'm just trying to go play hard," he said. "If you see when I got hurt in the outfield, it was because I tried to do my best and just playing hard. I don't care if I get hurt in the outfield."

• Haha 1

Also, assuming Eloy can stay on the field continuing as a LF, he is definitely costing the team runs, wiping out a significant portion of his offensive production with his left field butchery, even with Robert covering as much of LF as possible. 

Year Age Tm Lg G PA Rbat Rbaser Rdp Rfield Rpos RAA WAA Rrep RAR WAR waaWL% 162WL% oWAR dWAR oRAR Salary Pos Awards
2019 22 CHW AL 122 504 11 2 -1 -11 -5 -5 -0.3 18 14 1.5 .496 .497 2.4 -1.4 25 $1,833,333 *7/D RoY-4
2020 23 CHW AL 44 184 12 0 0 -4 -1 7 0.6 6 13 1.0 .515 .504 1.5 -0.5 17 $2,333,333 *7/D  
2 Seasons   166 688 22 2 -1 -15 -7 2 0.4 24 27 2.5 .501 .499 3.9 -2.0 42 $4,166,666

Defensive WAR per 162 games (DH starts excluded):

• Eloy Jimenez -2.06 dWAR/162 games
  • Kyle Schwarber -1.14 (Includes games at catcher, which increased the negative dWAR)
  • Dave Kingman -1.03 (Through 1980, before his DH/1B career stage)
  • Carlos Lee -0.88 (A near gold glove LF compared to Eloy's first two seasons)
  1. Can Eloy stay healthy in LF? If the team works him out of his "I don't care if I get hurt" mindset.
  2. Can he get better in LF with continued work? Perhaps, he is still young. If he can stay healthy and improve, this would give the White Sox most value. Even getting to Kyle Schwarber / Carlos Lee capability would be a huge improvement.
  3. Is Eloy responsible for the vast overstock of DH/1B only players on the roster/in the pipeline? No, that would be Rick Hahn. Even if Parrot and McCann walk, the White Sox have several players/prospects vying for 3 positions over the next few seasons:
  • Andrew Vaughn
  • Eloy Jimenez
  • Jose Abreu
  • Yasmani Grandal
  • Zack Collins
  • Yermin Mercedes
  • Jake Burger
Edited by South Side Hit Men

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Eloy has looked more solid over the last few weeks in the OF.  No idea if it is SSS or not, but he has started to look almost competent out there lately, even making a few pretty good plays.

Avoid the walls and he's been fine.  Even making some really nice plays as you've mentioned.  Perhaps he's learned a lesson or two from his mishaps.

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Also, assuming Eloy can stay on the field continuing as a LF, he is definitely costing the team runs, wiping out a significant portion of his offensive production with his left field butchery, even with Robert covering as much of LF as possible. 

Year Age Tm Lg G PA Rbat Rbaser Rdp Rfield Rpos RAA WAA Rrep RAR WAR waaWL% 162WL% oWAR dWAR oRAR Salary Pos Awards
2019 22 CHW AL 122 504 11 2 -1 -11 -5 -5 -0.3 18 14 1.5 .496 .497 2.4 -1.4 25 $1,833,333 *7/D RoY-4
2020 23 CHW AL 44 184 12 0 0 -4 -1 7 0.6 6 13 1.0 .515 .504 1.5 -0.5 17 $2,333,333 *7/D  
2 Seasons   166 688 22 2 -1 -15 -7 2 0.4 24 27 2.5 .501 .499 3.9 -2.0 42 $4,166,666

Defensive WAR per 162 games (DH starts excluded):

• Eloy Jimenez -2.06 dWAR/162 games
  • Kyle Schwarber -1.14 (Includes games at catcher, which increased the negative dWAR)
  • Dave Kingman -1.03 (Through 1980, before his DH/1B career stage)
  • Carlos Lee -0.88 (A near gold glove LF compared to Eloy's first two seasons)
  1. Can Eloy stay healthy in LF? If the team works him out of his "I don't care if I get hurt" mindset.
  2. Can he get better in LF with continued work? Perhaps, he is still young. If he can stay healthy and improve, this would give the White Sox most value. Even getting to Kyle Schwarber / Carlos Lee capability would be a huge improvement.
  3. Is Eloy responsible for the vast overstock of DH/1B only players on the roster/in the pipeline? No, that would be Rick Hahn. Even if Parrot and McCann walk, the White Sox have several players/prospects vying for 3 positions over the next few seasons:
  • Andrew Vaughn
  • Eloy Jimenez
  • Jose Abreu
  • Yasmani Grandal
  • Zack Collins
  • Yermin Mercedes
  • Jake Burger

Everyone forgets that before injuries, Burger won awards in college for defense and MLB gave him a 55 grade for his arm and 50 grade for fielding.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Everyone forgets that before injuries, Burger won awards in college for defense and MLB gave him a 55 grade for his arm and 50 grade for fielding.

When he got injured, he said he spoke with Jose Abreu who suffered a similar injury (see below). Jose was able to retain the power and the current weight allows him to play well and stay on the field. 

Burger looks like he lost some weight in recent videos, and said he is open to a transition to another spot. I like his work ethic and willingness to battle through two tough injures.  I hope he can at least get healthy enough to contribute or gain trade interest if there is no spot for him here at the ML level.

Burger chatted with White Sox first baseman José Abreu, who suffered a similar injury in 2008. "He was like, 'Look, man, it's a tough recovery, but you'll get back,'" Burger said. "He said he lost 30 pounds while going through it. I'm looking to that and looking forward to being back with my family for a couple of weeks."