Y'all need to chill

Quin

It's two games, which followed an amazing comeback. Which capped off an amazing run that included a no-hitter, 4 straight homers, Abreu murdering the Cubs, Dunning's emergence, Anderson establishing his stardom, Eloy moonlighting as a landscaper, and more.

Moncada is clearly not feeling well, Bummer is out, Vaughn and other prospects are still developing.

Yes, this team has holes, but unless you're the Dodgers, every team has holes. This is year one of the window. The sky isn't falling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Tony said:

And I'd argue that in November of 2019, a lot of us had high hopes for the 2020 season but still felt like the Sox were 1 year away from that window being open for the World Series.

I feel like the high end goal was make the playoffs, with a lot of posters feeling like even that was a longshot.

• Thanks 1

The Sox are competing for first place with a shitty manager, a few glaring holes, and a rash of injuries to key pieces.  Big picture perpstective, there are a lot of positives and a lot to like.  Plenty of work and growth still to go, but a real foundation to something potentially special.  That gets lost some times in the heat of the moment.  

This is the first taste of success this fan base has had in a long time.  I can appreciate a call to take a breath and savor.  We are hopefully in for a fun ride into October even if it's a bit bumpy along the way.  

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

1. There is nothing you can do about it. 

2. Your entire "fear" is based on one Bob Nightengale article.

3. Enjoy what's in front of you.

What fun is #3 if you can instead whine & quote Bob Nightengale, who's always wrong, and a disgraced former Marlins exec? 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't disagree with anything said here. 

I'm more concerned about how the pandemic affects their window and ability to fill the holes. 

The pandemic doesn't change that they have a young and electric core of players locked up for around half of a decade in many cases.  The idea that ONLY Jerry is going to not spend this winter is ridiculous.  One of two things will happen.  Either owners are going to spend nothing this winter because of the pandemic, and the prices of players will drop so that they can finally sign, or things will get back to a more normal window with the expectations of a more normal 2021 season.  You won't see just Jerry not spend this winter.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

The Sox are competing for first place with a shitty manager, a few glaring holes, and a rash of injuries to key pieces.  Big picture perpstective, there are a lot of positives and a lot to like.  Plenty of work and growth still to go, but a real foundation to something potentially special.  That gets lost some times in the heat of the moment.  

This is the first taste of success this fan base has had in a long time.  I can appreciate a call to take a breath and savor.  We are hopefully in for a fun ride into October even if it's a bit bumpy along the way.  

I don't think enough people realize that the rebuild doesn't end with the guys getting to the majors.  They also have to learn how to win and overcome.  I mean even Michael Jordan got his ass kicked by Detroit for a few years before figuring it out.

39 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's two games, which followed an amazing comeback. Which capped off an amazing run that included a no-hitter, 4 straight homers, Abreu murdering the Cubs, Dunning's emergence, Anderson establishing his stardom, Eloy moonlighting as a landscaper, and more.

Moncada is clearly not feeling well, Bummer is out, Vaughn and other prospects are still developing.

Yes, this team has holes, but unless you're the Dodgers, every team has holes. This is year one of the window. The sky isn't falling.

32 minutes ago, Tony said:

And I'd argue that in November of 2019, a lot of us had high hopes for the 2020 season but still felt like the Sox were 1 year away from that window being open for the World Series.

You're both correct. For me personally, a lot of the frustration these last two games is that we just NEVER seem to play well against the Twins and it drives me insane.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I think most of us were on the same page that 2020 felt like it could be a year the Sox make the playoffs, but being called a World Series favorite may have been a year or so early. 

They seem to be sticking on that course...

People's initial expectations of when the Sox could compete were always way too optimistic.  I remember having this debate as we were making the initial deals to get the rebuild rolling.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The pandemic doesn't change that they have a young and electric core of players locked up for around half of a decade in many cases.  The idea that ONLY Jerry is going to not spend this winter is ridiculous.  One of two things will happen.  Either owners are going to spend nothing this winter because of the pandemic, and the prices of players will drop so that they can finally sign, or things will get back to a more normal window with the expectations of a more normal 2021 season.  You won't see just Jerry not spend this winter.

No, I think that there might be 5-6 rogue owners that go nuts while the rest of baseball spends practically nothing or sheds to those few teams. 

I think we're upset because of all the good things listed in the OP.  We were on such a high with so much good stuff happening that a shitty game like yesterday looks REALLY shitty.  But, yes, the sky is not falling, the season is not essentially over.  And I agree with the posters that said many of us thought 2020 would be a good year, but not necessarily a playoff year.

Winning 4 or 5 of the next 6 will make yesterday's game seem like what it was: One game.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, I think that there might be 5-6 rogue owners that go nuts while the rest of baseball spends practically nothing or sheds to those few teams. 

Hell the Rangers even said this when talking about their horrible deadline. JD basically came out and said we aren't doing anything this offseason because we are in a crunch. There's plenty of warning signs that this offseason is going to be quite a bit different. But it'll be just what some people want. Gives us an excuse to kick the can down the road another year. 

and no we're not heading to a fun October. We're heading for a quick exit. This pitching staff won't get us out of round 1. No way. 

Edited by Baron

28 minutes ago, Tony said:

Again, Sox fans can't deal with it, but it's very similar to the 2015 Cubs. Theo set out on a plan, took a few years, and 2015 sort of snuck up on everyone one year earlier than expected. Went from 73-89 to 97-65, window was suddenly wide open. Obviously it's starting to close for them and I still think they probably should have cashed in on one more World Series victory, but they made the playoffs 5 straight years and had three NL Championship appearances in a row. 

Difference is. Theo moved some chips in the middle of the table. Is Hahn going to do that next year? Will he be allowed to? Or are we going to hold onto the prospects and make minimal moves? 

Edited by Baron

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

People's initial expectations of when the Sox could compete were always way too optimistic.  I remember having this debate as we were making the initial deals to get the rebuild rolling.

2018 was absolutely being thrown around at one point. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, but there hasn't been anything like this in 100 years 

Yes, this is worse than anything we have seen since at least the Great Depression.  Which I am not sure why with a fraction of revenues that only a few owners would chose NOW to go nuts, when they didn't other less tough financial times.  You have to also keep in mind that we have a CBA renegotiation coming up, and having a few owners go nuts, while the other 25 don't doesn't make for a good narrative of why they need all of these concessions in the negotiations.  If there are cutbacks, it will be across the board.

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

Difference is. Theo moved some chips in the middle of the table. Is Hahn going to do that next year? Will he be allowed to? Or are we going to hold onto the prospects and make minimal moves? 

Ok, the idea that the Sox are going to stand pat forever is ridiculous, especially since we have already seen them try to move up their window this winter, and try to make deals at this deadline, even if they didn't happen.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ok, the idea that the Sox are going to stand pat forever is ridiculous, especially since we have already seen them try to move up their window this winter, and try to make deals at this deadline, even if they didn't happen.

Did I say that? The idea is will they be more hesitant again next year to give up prospects due to covid. I love how your always ready to jump the gun and strawman any argument.