Reynaldo Lopez Optioned to Schaumburg

MiddleCoastBias

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He was fastball slider for sure.

I don't know about that. Fangraphs 2017 scouting report had the curve ball as his highest rated pitch at 55/60. In 2016 he threw 201 curve balls in 44 innings with the Nats compared to 201 in 184 innings last year and only one in 9.2 this year. Seems to me the Sox switched the emphasis to slider before nearly eliminating the curve ball entirely.

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 2015, John Sickels wrote the following in his prospect report on Lopez: "Scouts continue to praise his 94-99 fastball as well as his plus curve. His change is very good at times, not so good at others...personally, I think command of the third pitch will continue to improve." Doesn't even mention the slider.

• Thanks 1

anyone else pick up on what the twins were doing in their ABs vs Lopez?  They would take a very long time between pitches standing outside the box, basically freezing him out on the mound which probably made it difficult to get into a rhythm 

he seems like a guy who needs to work fast to maintain any sort of command 

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He pitches like a guy with no confidence.  There isn't a huge difference between his velocities

His curve and charge are in his norms

How can you determine that when he only threw one curveball? I wouldn't have any confidence either if they took away my best pitch

9 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Don't go back to old Greg, alright? You either aren't reading the comments here or you're being passive aggressive to those who wanted a rebuild or both. Either way, I think 90% of us are fine with him being in Schaumberg.

Yeah that probably wasn't one of my better posts. I think my anger at Lopez surfaced. I didn't read the comments close enough if most want him in Schaumberg right away. My bad.

I'm kind of bitter about him blowing chunks this season.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What???  You didn't like Cishek's scoreless inning last night?!?!

To be honest, if you told me before the game that the Kansas City 9th would consist of.... ground out, single, walk, another walk to load the bases, K and a ground out to end the game...I would have said "Good, Colome got another save!!" ;)

• Haha 3

Perhaps another pitching coach can help ReyLo develop a repeated, controlled delivery that results in him getting ahead in the count more often.  If so, ReyLo could be a diamond in the rough for a team that needs a bullpen  arm or a back of rotation starter. It is obvious now that the WSox need to move on from ReyLo and vice versa. Detroit  gave Fulmer a shot so maybe they will pick up ReyLo after he is DFAed.

12 minutes ago, tray said:

Perhaps another pitching coach can help ReyLo develop a repeated, controlled delivery that results in him getting ahead in the count more often.  If so, ReyLo could be a diamond in the rough for a team that needs a bullpen  arm or a back of rotation starter. It is obvious now that the WSox need to move on from ReyLo and vice versa. Detroit  gave Fulmer a shot so maybe they will pick up ReyLo after he is DFAed.

Why DFA a guy if you can still option him?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why DFA a guy if you can still option him?

You don't DFA a guy like Lopez when you still have an option.

Tho the Sox just used ReyLo's last option, so I think its time they move him to the pen and hopefully he can find a home there for 2021 and beyond.  Because we don't really have time or luxury to fuck around with him in the rotation any longer.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You don't DFA a guy like Lopez when you still have an option.

Tho the Sox just used ReyLo's last option, so I think its time they move him to the pen and hopefully he can find a home there for 2021 and beyond.  Because we don't really have time or luxury to fuck around with him in the rotation any longer.  

Agreed. And with 8 spots in the pen (in a normal year going forward), there should be enough room to at least open the year with him there.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Coop lost his magic years ago and always worked better with soft throwers to begin with

19 hours ago, fathom said:

Yeah I think he’s injured. I’m not blaming Cooper for the velocity issues.

It's possible but it could also be confidence. He is trying to aim the ball and being careful with pitches because his control has been so bad. He just looked timid in the last couple of starts and he was afraid to just throw.

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's possible but it could also be confidence. He is trying to aim the ball and being careful with pitches because his control has been so bad. He just looked timid in the last couple of starts and he was afraid to just throw.

His body language just screamed a guy with no confidence at me.  I don't know if I am right, but it is what I ssee.

48 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Agreed. And with 8 spots in the pen (in a normal year going forward), there should be enough room to at least open the year with him there.

I think his stuff could maybe play up a bit in the pen.  

Future pen pieces: Bummer, Burdi, Heuer, Foster, Marshall, Hamilton, Cordero, Fry, Reynaldo and Thompson is a pretty decent core to start with.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vulture said:

How can you determine that when he only threw one curveball? I wouldn't have any confidence either if they took away my best pitch

It's a much more difficult pitch to throw for strikes and to get called for strikes. When you are struggling with command that pitch will naturally go to the back burner and not used often.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's a much more difficult pitch to throw for strikes and to get called for strikes. When you are struggling with command that pitch will naturally go to the back burner and not used often.

That could explain why all three of Giolito/Lopez/Cease ditched theirs. Giolito should experiment with bringing back the curveball next year and throwing it more. It probably fits better with his high fastball than the slider does. On days he's feeling good with the command, use the curveball and on days he's feeling off a bit use the slider. 

Edited by Jack Parkman