White Sox v Royals - Cease vs Duffy - 9/3/20 GT

ShoeLessRob

EE has been bad, but he had two barrels yesterday. I’m not upset about him starting, but I’d swap him with Robert. He’s a perfect 5-hole guy for me. It’s an RBI spot and if I remember correctly the second most common spot to lead off an inning. It fits the power/speed profile well. 

Mendick starting is confusing. Madrigal has been great. 

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Since McCann isn’t playing that much now than why didn’t they just shop him at the deadline to see what they could get for him? They are wasting his playing time. 

He is a free agent in less than a month.  Who was giving up something worth more than what the Sox could get out of him?

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He is a free agent in less than a month.  Who was giving up something worth more than what the Sox could get out of him?

I’m not talking about getting something worth more than what the Sox could get out of him. I’m talking about at least getting something for him that we could use like maybe a reliever. Or we could’ve packaged him in a trade.

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, maloney.adam said:

I’m not talking about getting something worth more than what the Sox could get out of him. I’m talking about at least getting something for him that we could use or packaging him in a trade. Like maybe for a starting pitcher or a reliever.

No one was giving that up for four weeks of James McCann.

25 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Was wondering this myself. Maybe it’s punishment for a couple defensive miscues yesterday?

Then there wouldn’t be enough to field a lineup. I just hate benching arguably your two hottest hitters in Madrigal and McCann when the team is in a slump.

I am not a fan of RR’s lineups usually, but I also understand that lineup construction is very overrated. To the complaints about Grandal in the 3 hole against a lefty, I’m guessing RR does that to avoid a situation later in the game where a right handed reliever comes in and gets to face a string of righties. I’m not saying I agree with it, but nobody seems to be acknowledging that part. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Wait...wtf is Mendick back in there, against a lefty instead of Madrigal? Dude just came back, let him play...Mendick's magic beans have expired.

No magic beans. Mendick was a solid prospect, he didn't just come out of nowhere. To me he looks superior defensively I don't have a problem with it

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I am not a fan of RR’s lineups usually, but I also understand that lineup construction is very overrated. To the complaints about Grandal in the 3 hole against a lefty, I’m guessing RR does that to avoid a situation later in the game where a right handed reliever comes in and gets to face a string of righties. I’m not saying I agree with it, but nobody seems to be acknowledging that part. 

They still have a long string of righties. Robert Mendick Engel Anderson Jimenez.

37 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With sixteen playoff teams, surely he would have been a worthwhile upgrade somewhere. Not that I'm advocating it. Sox need McCann for their own playoff run. Imagine grandal goes down. We're going with Collins and Zavala? No thanks.

2 hours ago, TomPickle said:
.278 / .375 / .444 against LHP this year, him batting third against RHP is what doesn't make sense.

I have to admit you're right there, didn't realize that.

Just noticed Sox have got an exactly .300/.400/.500 batting line from the catching position. Besides being an improbable mathematical oddity, that's got to be the best in the majors

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not to mention the impact on Lucas trying to work with a new catcher with a few starts before the postseason.

Would be good to get McCann two starts behind the plate every five games, Lucas starts and a second game against a lefty, with Grandal at 1B and Abreu DH (or for a scheduled bi-weekly Abreu rest day). Wouldn't waste a third roster spot on Collins, he should be on the taxi squad only as a DL fill-in.

1. T Anderson
  2. Y Moncada
  3.  J Abreu DH
  4. E Jiminez
  5. Y Grandal 1B
  6. L Robert
  7. J McCann C
  8. A Engel
  9. N Madrigal

2 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Let’s face it, with Collins not on the roster it simply means less opportunities for McCann. Grandal was signed to be your starting catcher and Ricky doesn’t have the luxury to use the DH spot for 1 of McCann/Grandal because of it. I know he did it last season a couple times tho. Only other way he could do it is give Abreu DH, Grandal 1B and McCann behind the plate. Abreu doesn’t like to DH so I highly doubt that option happens with any frequency because Ricky doesn’t want to upset his veterans. 

They should call up Yermin. That would allow him to get some chances at DH while also being the emergency catcher.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic