Nick Madrigal

hi8is

Thru his first 40 major league at bats he’s hitting .400 and is .500 over his last 7 games... after being out of action for a month with an injured shoulder.

However, according to some... he sucks and was a wasted 4th pick because his BABIP is high, slugging is low, his arm is weak, and his speed is overrated.

I love this kid.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I think you're overstating the words of many, to say the least. I do not think there was a widespread SoxTalk consensus that Madrigal "sucks". That's just massive hyperbole. 

I like Madrigal and liked the pick. I think he can be a rock solid 2B for years to come. 

That being said, he's played 11 games and has 41 PA's. I don't think I have to point out that hitting .400 isn't sustainable. The fascination that so many seem to have with small sample sizes when it suits their viewpoint never ceases to amaze me. For instance, if he was hitting .200 through 41 PA's. I'm sure you wouldn't accept the notion that those who feel contrary to you were correct in their assertion. The list of bad players to hit .400 for 11 games is endless.

Let's see what happens when he goes through an inevitable struggle. Let's see his first 500-600 PA's, yeah? I mean, he hasn't done much to prove his critics wrong when it comes to what he "can't do". He has yet to notch an XBH and never walks. 

Maybe he can literally hit at a Tony Gwynn like clip, who knows? However, if he cannot (most likely outcome), he's going to have to develop some gap-to-gap power and walk some. If your response to this is "Jeez! He's only played 11 games and he's hitting .400! What more do you want?". Then, I appreciate you understanding the point I made above about small sample sizes and it being too early. 

The success or failure of positional player draft pick, trade, or free agent acquisitions are decide over hundreds upon hundreds of PA's (often over a thousand). At least, when it comes to those you've invested into long-term. Which, clearly, we have with Madrigal.  

Edited by Richie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

While I find it amusing when Madrigal haters say his defense or base-running is overrated, there are some posters who are convinced Nick won’t be a .300+ hitter in the majors.  SSS I know, but according to Statcast his xBA is .334 and that’s with him striking at an 8.4% clip with a low walk rate, both of which will improve over time.  Right now, his batted ball profile would make him a league average hitter with virtually no power.

The likely reality is Nick is going to be a high BA / high OBP player who is both a plus base-runner (even without elite speed) and plus defender.  His contact-oriented approach at the plate will add some much needed consistency to a lineup that can get way too swing heavy at times.  Putting him in the 9th spot basically allows him to become our second leadoff hitter and should put some real stress on opposing pitchers when he gets on-base with our big batters up.

The kid is never going to be Jose Altuve, but he doesn’t need to be to warrant being the #4 pick.  His bat control is so elite that he can easily be a 3+ win player with minimal power.

33 minutes ago, zisk said:

His walk rate in the minors went up, even as he moved up to higher levels. Once he figures out which balls he can drive into the gaps,

and how to work counts at this level, he'll be really good.

From what I’ve seen, he’s been falling behind a lot and is still getting things done.  With time he should draw more walks and start getting pitches he can drive into the gaps for doubles.

32 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its a thing of beauty.  This kid looks like a .330+ career hitter.  Defense isn't as good as I expected, but I hope so of that is just nerves and getting comfortable.  

It’s just nerves IMO.  His reputation has always been a guy who gets the job done with the balls he can actually get to.

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its a thing of beauty.  This kid looks like a .330+ career hitter.  Defense isn't as good as I expected, but I hope so of that is just nerves and getting comfortable.  

Can't really teach hitting instincts like you can't teach velocity. Defense can be worked on. I think he will be fine. Altuve wasn't all that at first

I’m also excited to see him grow into a more vocal leader...he’s always had that aspect involved with prior clubs. Also really love seeing those little moments where his instincts shine.

Two that come to mind we’re when he stole a bag on a pitcher who was asleep and the other yesterday taking a ball to center on a hit and run.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pcq said:

His bat control and mental approach/skills are plusses. His other skills on defense are ordinary but he is a nice package. His on-base skills are a nice hedge when the big bats are slumping. 

He’s had a couple bad errors that I’m sure he will clean up but I’m really impressed with how quickly he gets rid of the ball. It stands out especially when he turns double plays. His quick release makes up for his lack of arm strength.

• Like 2

I like him a lot. Who cares about homers in correlation to this conversation? If the Sox are relying on Madrigal for homers, 3 of the following like fucking died or something- Moncada, Grandal, Abreu, Jimenez, Robert.

Watching Madrigal get on and flip the lineup card to TA has been fun as hell.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I like him a lot. Who cares about homers in correlation to this conversation? If the Sox are relying on Madrigal for homers, 3 of the following like fucking died or something- Moncada, Grandal, Abreu, Jimenez, Robert.

Watching Madrigal get on and flip the lineup card to TA has been fun as hell.

Not cool

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

From what we have seen, he's what he is supposed to be - which is literally Nellie Fox. Now I'm not going to say that's what he will always be, but  so far he's been as advertised.

That's a great call. Nicky is going to be a player from the 60's with the way he plays the game.  A middle infielder with marginal pop, but high average and great baseball IQ.

• Like 1

He does hit the ball a bit harder than last year (85 average EV) but so far he has been exactly as advertised with very few Ks, no extra basehits and very few walks.

The good sign is that he hits the ball hard enough to get it out if the infield.

He was a bit lucky but his xBA for the season is still .333.

2 hours ago, harkness99 said:

way too early to make any conclusions... saying he sucks after 40 at bats is dumb... but concluding he is good from 40 at bats is silly also.

But if you had to choose between the two, a good first 40 at bats is more positive than a bad first 40 at bats is negative. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

He does hit the ball a bit harder than last year (85 average EV) but so far he has been exactly as advertised with very few Ks, no extra basehits and very few walks.

The good sign is that he hits the ball hard enough to get it out if the infield.

He was a bit lucky but his xBA for the season is still .333.

this was always a ridiculous notion, anyone who ever thought that a consensus top 5 pick might have this problem should stop watching this sport all together, sheesh.

• Like 2