Nick Madrigal

hi8is

1 minute ago, DoUEvenShift said:

We're on the same page that he's gonna be a stud. I just have the belief putting him in timeout after dumb plays doesn't help. I think he is intelligent enough to realize he fucked up and doesn't need an extra day to think about what he did.

Now we both understand. 👍

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Now we both understand. 👍

It's really too bad his 1st 2 doubles of the year coincided with the 2 baserunning blunders and the other blunder I haven't seen anyone mention. On the popup that A reu caught but cost the Sox an extra base ,Nick ran into Jose nudging him just enough that Jose couldn't regain his footing and went into the net.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's really too bad his 1st 2 doubles of the year coincided with the 2 baserunning blunders and the other blunder I haven't seen anyone mention. On the popup that A reu caught but cost the Sox an extra base ,Nick ran into Jose nudging him just enough that Jose couldn't regain his footing and went into the net.

Jose jumped into the net as a joke. He didn't need to do that. Stoney even acknowledged that the play belonged to the 2nd baseman in that situation, not the 1st baseman. That was not on Nick.

I hope you didn't just bait/troll me!

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 2

I think nick still needs to get used to the level. He is a player who plays the game hard and takes chances. At lower levels being a bit reckless on the bases can be quite successful because the guys then get nervous and make errors. You still want him to do that but tone it down a little because big leaguers can make plays.

The rule of thinking is run so that you are safe with a good throw but a perfect throw gets you because if you only run if you are 100% safe you are too passive. 

Madrigal still needs to find that happy medium. You want to get thrown out by a perfect throw but you don't want to get thrown out by any halfway decent throw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Jose jumped into the net as a joke. He didn't need to do that. Stoney even acknowledged that the play belonged to the 2nd baseman in that situation, not the 1st baseman. That was not on Nick.

I hope you didn't just bait/troll me!

I heard Stone say that was Abreu's ball all the way because Jose has been so good on those. 

I just think if he didnt get bumped he doesn't go into the net. You dont do that for fun if you can avoid it. That's just silliness. He had a head of steam , he's  a big guy, he couldn't put on the  brakes after Nick nudged him , he hit the wall , lost his balance,  thought he could lean on the railing but being off balance,  leaned too far back and once his feet left the ground, he fell back.

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I heard Stone say that was Abreu's ball all the way because Jose has been so good on those. 

I just think if he didnt get bumped he doesn't go into the net. You dont do that for fun if you can avoid it. That's just silliness. He had a head of steam , he's  a big guy, he couldn't put on the  brakes after Nick nudged him , he hit the wall , lost his balance,  thought he could lean on the railing but being off balance,  leaned too far back and once his feet left the ground, he fell back.

He was clearly joking around.

Nick Madrigal is the dumbest "smart" baseball player I've ever watched. 

Madrigal has made more outs at third base in this short season than I did in 16 years of my life playing baseball. 

He's made more errors than I thought he'd make in a year. 

Nick has been awesome and will be great, but he has played absolutely idiotic baseball so far but I'll use the whacky season and him being amped for making the big leagues as the reason.

15 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think nick still needs to get used to the level. He is a player who plays the game hard and takes chances. At lower levels being a bit reckless on the bases can be quite successful because the guys then get nervous and make errors. You still want him to do that but tone it down a little because big leaguers can make plays.

The rule of thinking is run so that you are safe with a good throw but a perfect throw gets you because if you only run if you are 100% safe you are too passive. 

Madrigal still needs to find that happy medium. You want to get thrown out by a perfect throw but you don't want to get thrown out by any halfway decent throw.

There is literally zero excuse for his decision making outside of this season is weird and he's not thinking right.

He ran to third on a ball hit right in front of him; you don't do that in little league. 

He tried to extend a double into a triple with ZERO outs. That is another thing not even a little leaguer does. 

He blew threw a stop sign and was hosed easily with the heart of the order coming up. 

Last night he argued an obvious strike with the umpire; the second time he's done that. That's another thing you just don't do and you look like a moron when you do it. I have no doubt 5'8 Madrigal is a smart baseball player, but so far he's played nothing like one.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Part of it is that he didn't spend much time at the lower levels. He really hasn't learned what the capabilities of professional players are. This is the disadvantage of the player advancing so quickly. He'll figure it out with time.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There is literally zero excuse for his decision making outside of this season is weird and he's not thinking right.

He ran to third on a ball hit right in front of him; you don't do that in little league. 

He tried to extend a double into a triple with ZERO outs. That is another thing not even a little leaguer does. 

He blew threw a stop sign and was hosed easily with the heart of the order coming up. 

Last night he argued an obvious strike with the umpire; the second time he's done that. That's another thing you just don't do and you look like a moron when you do it. I have no doubt 5'8 Madrigal is a smart baseball player, but so far he's played nothing like one.

He had a legitimate argument though. The pitch 2 before was a strike 4 inches inside. There is no way both of those pitches could be strikes. He was correct on that.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Madrigal has made more outs at third base in this short season than I did in 16 years of my life playing baseball. 

Nick has been awesome and will be great, but he has played absolutely idiotic baseball so far but I'll use the whacky season and him being amped for making the big leagues as the reason.

Completely agree. But hopefully he gets it out of his system now as a rookie. Come playoffs and moving forward, I expect to see a higher IQ on the basepaths and cleaner defense. If he keeps hitting the way he is, I'm okay with limited power as well. Nothing like a 9 hitter that can get you big hits and make the pitcher really worker to turn over the lineup. 

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He had a legitimate argument though. The pitch 2 before was a strike 4 inches inside. There is no way both of those pitches could be strikes. He was correct on that.

The pitch he argued, that was called strike 3, was 2 inches off the heart of the plate. The entire ball caught the outside corner with about an inch to spare. It wasn't close. 

You don't want to get in the habit of complaining about strikes; shows a lack of strike zone awareness. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Checkmate. Lower level aggressiveness is fine,but don't run through stop signs with one out and big hitters coming up. He has to understand it is okay to let Timmy, Yoan, and Abreu drive you in. 

• Like 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The pitch he argued, that was called strike 3, was 2 inches off the heart of the plate. The entire ball caught the outside corner with about an inch to spare. It wasn't close. 

You don't want to get in the habit of complaining about strikes; shows a lack of strike zone awareness. 

He only argued after the at bat was over because you can't do it in the middle of the at bat. He did step out of the box and said something to the ump after the really bad call 2 pitches earlier. It would surprise me if the argurment after had nothing to do with that last pitch specifically and had more to do with the fact that both of them couldn't be strikes and he's right. Maybe you are a better lip reader than me but the ump messed with the strike zone on the bad call and moved the plate for nick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nick had legit complaints about that AB it should've bee 2-0 instead of 0-2 the plate isn't 5' wide. Maybe the next time the ump is behind the dish he'll make better calls. Id rather have Nick defend himself, for fuck sake he knows the zone as witness by his over .400 on two strikes and to say otherwise is just dismissive. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is way too premature in a SSS.

• Like 4

Just now, ptatc said:

He only argued after the at bat was over because you can't do it in the middle of the at bat. He did step out of the box and said something to the ump after the really bad call 2 pitches earlier. It would surprise me if the argurment after had nothing to do with that last pitch specifically and had more to do with the fact that both of them couldn't be strikes and he's right. Maybe you are a better lip reader than me but the ump messed with the strike zone on the bad call and moved the plate for nick.

nick

You might be right, but that first pitch is inside a little and not a strike but it's not egregious. He turned around after that strike three and complained. It's the second time I've seen him do that on an obvious strike. 

That 2-1 strike changed the AB, so maybe he was still b****ing about that. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And you weren't good enough for the pros still.. sad.

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's a weird thing to throw in in the context of your post.

Subconsciously, seems to indicate that you think that because he's on the shorter side, he needs to be smarter than everyone else.  His height is a non-issue.  He made some mistakes, he recognized that, and will do better.

• Like 1