Nick Madrigal

hi8is

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I agree with this. I love having a contact oriented player like Madrigal to compliment our plethora of high strikeout guys. If his defense will be as good as advertised, you have 3 above average fielders at the important infield positions. That is awesome.

Last year Tim Anderson was 21st in the league with -3.7 defensive runs saved.  This year, he's 18th with .5.  He's shown improvement, and I don't necessarily think it's a blip because he said over and over that it was something he was going to work on, and we know from his hitting that he's capable of being successful when he focuses on improving something.  But he's not above average.

As for Madrigal, I think he'll iron out some of the flaws we've seen and obviously he does what he does at the plate very well.  I think what's not talked about enough is how his particular skill set will not translate into a huge salary.  He could be a 4-5 WAR player at a 2 WAR price.

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nah.  You can see he understands the game.  I think he is still in a stage where he is trying to impress people and make an impression on fans.  I don't think it is because he isn't a smart baseball player.  He just needs to understand he can't take advantage of MLB players the way he did NCAA ones.  I think he could have learned some of those lessons in the minors if he had more ABs and situations to learn them in.  He FLEW through the minors.  He will figure it out quickly.

He made a lot of outs on the bases in the minors also

I have been one of the biggest Madrigal supporters on this forum; relentless in my crusade against Harold and his hatred of Nick. That doesn't mean he should be absolved of criticism on elementary mistakes. 

Again, SS2k called it hyperbole and it absolutely is not... there are many smart players who will never ever run into an out at 3rd base with the ball hit right in front of them to the SS. They will go their entire careers without doing it. Because it's stupid and inexplicable. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

Second basemen are a dime a dozen. If he can be a supurb fielder and hit .280 with 0 homers and 47 RBIs in a regular season that will be fine. Now if he sucks fielding and does that, he gone.

He doesn't ever figure to make big bucks as you say. If he can get one of those 6 year deals right now that teams sometimes give can't miss prospects he'd be smart to do so. Six years, 36 million. He should take it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Second basemen are a dime a dozen. If he can be a supurb fielder and hit .280 with 0 homers and 47 RBIs in a regular season that will be fine. Now if he sucks fielding and does that, he gone.

He doesn't ever figure to make big bucks as you say. If he can get one of those 6 year deals right now that teams sometimes give can't miss prospects he'd be smart to do so. Six years, 36 million. He should take it.

What on earth are you talking about IF he can hit .280? You could cut off 1 of Madrigal’s arms and he’d still figure out how to hit .280. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

nick

You might be right, but that first pitch is inside a little and not a strike but it's not egregious. He turned around after that strike three and complained. It's the second time I've seen him do that on an obvious strike. 

That 2-1 strike changed the AB, so maybe he was still b****ing about that. 

He turned around to complain about the strike zone that at bat not specifically the final strike.