Nick Madrigal

hi8is

4 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

There really is no debate who is the better defensive catcher (McCann).  His biggest flaw as of this year is reaching in on pitches and getting the interference call, but my guess is that it relates to him trying to be a pitch framer this year.

Just imagine how bad things would have gone for Giolito yesterday without McCann behind the plate.  We would have lost the game if Grandal started.

Imagine reading my post and deciding the response it needed was, in fact, the grandal vs McCann debate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nick Madrigal is batting .362 with an expected batting average of .356 according to Statcast despite striking out 8.3% of the time (which is high for him).  Think about that for a minute.

And as a rookie nonetheless... he sucks.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am 100% sure they already did.

I actually would be surprised if they did. Going year to year on Madrigal, given how Arbitration treats players of his skill set, seems like the smarter choice. Nothing Nick does will break the bank - he's not going to put up gaudy SB or HR totals and he's not winning any MVP's. Given how anti-players-like-Madrigal the Arbitration process is and has been, I think they'll just play this one out. Robert and Eloy had the chance of getting near MVP levels which escalates the payouts so much that those two make more sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I actually would be surprised if they did. Going year to year on Madrigal, given how Arbitration treats players of his skill set, seems like the smarter choice. Nothing Nick does will break the bank - he's not going to put up gaudy SB or HR totals and he's not winning any MVP's. Given how anti-players-like-Madrigal the Arbitration process is and has been, I think they'll just play this one out. Robert and Eloy had the chance of getting near MVP levels which escalates the payouts so much that those two make more sense.

They did it with Bummer, Santos and other relievers, I have no doubt they have been to both Nick and Andrew Vaughn to try to get deals done.  It is the Rick Hahn way.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

They did it with Bummer, Santos and other relievers, I have no doubt they have been to both Nick and Andrew Vaughn to try to get deals done.  It is the Rick Hahn way.

Players are happy, team is happy. It made the rebuild possible and means we don't have to worry about shedding contracts for a few years.

This is the way.

19 minutes ago, Quin said:

Players are happy, team is happy. It made the rebuild possible and means we don't have to worry about shedding contracts for a few years.

This is the way.

I know Tim Anderson is a hot topic this year.  I am old enough to remember who many people were upset about his extension being done too early.  Now is when that starts paying dividends.

in 2021 TA would have been in his first arb year.  His deal is paying him $7.25m in 2021.  Last year Cody Bellinger got a record $11.5 million for his year one Arb.  Previously Kris Bryant has $10.85 million.  Even if you want to say that Timmy is a notch under them, what are we looking at $10 million?    The savings there is the cost of a low middle reliever or back up utility IF.

Next year the savings will be even bigger if Anderson keeps this up.

• Like 1

I know Tim Anderson is a hot topic this year.  I am old enough to remember who many people were upset about his extension being done too early.  Now is when that starts paying dividends.

in 2021 TA would have been in his first arb year.  His deal is paying him $7.25m in 2021.  Last year Cody Bellinger got a record $11.5 million for his year one Arb.  Previously Kris Bryant has $10.85 million.  Even if you want to say that Timmy is a notch under them, what are we looking at $10 million?    The savings there is the cost of a low middle reliever or back up utility IF.

I remember when people said guys like Anderson- who never walk, strike out consistently, don't hit for enough power, and play bad D- won't be a useful roster spot when the rebuild ends :)

Edited by soxfan49

How has he been paid the last couple of years compared to not having the deal? I know the Sox will save in the long term but have they seen savings yet?

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

How has he been paid the last couple of years compared to not having the deal? I know the Sox will save in the long term but have they seen savings yet?

There is typically a bit more pay up front, and a lot less in the back end.  They paid for those savings early on, and are now raking in the savings.

$850k as a mid season call up

$1m full year one

$1.4m year two

$4m year three

$7.25 year four

Take Lindor as a comp, and a guy who was called up at about the same time of season, and has gone year to year

$540k- mid season call up

$579k-1

$623k-2

10.85m-3

$17.85m-4

Mookie Betts

$514k

$566k

$950k

$10.5m

$20m

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It does appear Madrigal is better than Mendick.

At least I know I will have one person who supports this, but advanced metrics say Mendick has been a better player.  Madrigal is a good fit on a superstar team as the 9 hitter, but it’s going to be hard for him to ever put up big WAR numbers, IMO. He’s not someone that is going to break the bank in arbitration.

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

At least I know I will have one person who supports this, but advanced metrics say Mendick has been a better player.  Madrigal is a good fit on a superstar team as the 9 hitter, but it’s going to be hard for him to ever put up big WAR numbers, IMO. He’s not someone that is going to break the bank in arbitration.

Agree with all of this. I think the WAR will increase as he gets more comfortable with the league for base running and defense.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Both would be smart to take a deal. Madrigal will be in his late20s when he is a FA, Vaughn too.  Especially for 1b/dh the market doesn't  get better as they approach 30 so Vaughn should consider it.  Depends on how good he becomes of course. If he hits his absolute ceiling and is like Paul goldschmidt (who averaged 5 war his first 6 years which is a 70fv) he can get a good deal at 29-30 and shouldn't take an extension.

However if he hits like the median outcome which is like a 2.5 WAR player on average (55 fv) then maybe he should take that deal and sign for like 60M through age 32 or so.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Still not ready to have this discussion but we're getting closer.  

1 hour ago, fathom said:

He's not going to ever be paid like a top notch superstar, but that doesn't mean that savings aren't there to be had.  There is plenty of WAR to be gotten by playing elite defense, running the bases well, and hitting .300