What is your predicted pitching rotation next year?

periphery831

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I pray to god we don’t trade Kopech for Marco Gonzalez

I didn't say they would. I said those 3 guys in some fashion will be traded for Gonzalez and bullpen help. For the record I wouldn't trade Kopech for Gonzalez, but Gonzalez is having a great year and keeps getting better + is on a very favorable contract, meanwhile Kopech is a giant question mark. Last year I would've laughed at the thought. I still wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't laugh at it anymore

15 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I didn't say they would. I said those 3 guys in some fashion will be traded for Gonzalez and bullpen help. For the record I wouldn't trade Kopech for Gonzalez, but Gonzalez is having a great year and keeps getting better + is on a very favorable contract, meanwhile Kopech is a giant question mark. Last year I would've laughed at the thought. I still wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't laugh at it anymore

He’s a good pitcher, just don’t want another soft tossing lefty and if I’m giving up a Kopech I want a legit TOR starter who can carry us in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s a good pitcher, just don’t want another soft tossing lefty and if I’m giving up a Kopech I want a legit TOR starter who can carry us in the playoffs.

That's fair, but they have enough gas with Giolito and Cease. Do you have someone in mind?

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

I love the idea of deGrom. I just wonder of the cost especially for someone who's 32 right now

He just signed an extension. Mets would have to be blown away to trade him.  His contract has $50 million in deferred money, so JR would want relief from that. Never say never, but it would take a haul.  Vaughn + Kopech?

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

He just signed an extension. Mets would have to be blown away to trade him.  His contract has $50 million in deferred money, so JR would want relief from that. Never say never, but it would take a haul.  Vaughn + Kopech?

That's my point, so no thanks.

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

Stroman makes a lot of sense.  Wonder if there would be any interest in a Quintana reunion. 

Stroman worries me given his build for holding up long term, and on top of that taking the year off.  Im all in on bauer, but if he goes elsewhere, i like Q as a backup plan.  Worst case scenario, Q is a 4th starter

Unless we add Springer for RF, entering next year with no rotation upgrade is inexcusable.  We should be all systems go come 2021 and that means improving our biggest weakness which is the starting rotation.  I get we should have five theoretical starters with Kopech coming back, but no competitor in their right mind is going to war with so much uncertainty in a given area of their roster.  We need another reliable starter in the 1 to 3 range and need a better 6th starter.  If you can add a guy via free agency or trade and hold onto Kopech then you are set.  But relying on guys like Rodon (who has proven he can’t stay healthy as a starter) or Stiever (who hasn’t even pitched in AA) to be our depth is crazy.  We really need to stop fucking around next year and I can promise you having too much will never be a problem.  If Kopech looks like the budding TOR starter we all hope he’ll be, we’ll find to make it work.  Until then, plan for the worst and make sure you have six legit options.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Stroman makes a lot of sense.  Wonder if there would be any interest in a Quintana reunion. 

I was about to say that I bet Quintana is much more likely than Stroman or Bauer.

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Dunning, Quintana

Colome is a free agent and who knows if Bummer is dealing with a long term injury at this point so they definitely need help in the back end of the bullpen.

Sentimentally would love a reunion with Q, the guy was great for us but he had crappy run support. 

Would love it if we could get him a World Series. Still remember the emotional video when he got called up for the All-star game in 2016. 

"In July 2020, Quintana underwent surgery to repair a lacerated nerve on his thumb on his throwing arm, which he incurred while washing dishes.[25]"

Those must of been some sharp dishes. :D 

We'll see if Jerry wants to spend $30M on the entire team (down from $50M this season) with attendance likely limited or eliminated in 2021, I don't see much help beyond Collusion 4.0 Free Agency signings (with Parrot gone). So looking at what we have, and not projecting injuries which will inevitably happen, regular season projections (assuming avg starter innings 5.4 * 162 games = 875):

• Lucas Giolitto 180 Innings (Previous Maximum Professional Innings 176 2019)
  • Dallas Keuchel 200 innings (232 / 2015)
  • Cease 140 innings (124 / 2018 Minors)
  • Dunning 150 innings (144 / 2017 Minors)
  • Honey badger scraps 1st Half (125 innings) & Kopech Second Half 80 innings (Kopech 134 2017)

Depending on how things go, you may see a conservative free agent pick up like Kenny's Gio obsession (or other obsessions), but that is likely the 2021 scenario preceding 2022 and the possible lockdown through the end of the decade (and beyond).

1407339525000-8-6-Jerry-Reinsdorf.jpg"

JR: "Can't we just lockdown through the decade, play scabs and have taxpayers subsidize us beyond our free stadiums? Have Congress eliminate minimum wage for major league players as we they did for minor league players? We can offer fantasy camps and have players play us, a weekly camp so rotating 26 men and women rosters for those wishing to pony up $5K for a jersey and a place in the Baseball Encyclopedia? We can advertise our game as of, by and for the common man, and make over $3 million per team without paying players, scouts or a front office?"

BS/RM: "Sure, correct as usual King Jerry, I'll get right on it".

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Unless we add Springer for RF, entering next year with no rotation upgrade is inexcusable.  We should be all systems go come 2021 and that means improving our biggest weakness which is the starting rotation.  I get we should have five theoretical starters with Kopech coming back, but no competitor in their right mind is going to war with so much uncertainty in a given area of their roster.  We need another reliable starter in the 1 to 3 range and need a better 6th starter.  If you can add a guy via free agency or trade and hold onto Kopech then you are set.  But relying on guys like Rodon (who has proven he can’t stay healthy as a starter) or Stiever (who hasn’t even pitched in AA) to be our depth is crazy.  We really need to stop fucking around next year and I can promise you having too much will never be a problem.  If Kopech looks like the budding TOR starter we all hope he’ll be, we’ll find to make it work.  Until then, plan for the worst and make sure you have six legit options.

Holy shit, has Stiever really never pitched above A ball?  Not sure why I didn’t realize that. 

Great post, by the way. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Holy shit, has Stiever really never pitched above A ball?  Not sure why I didn’t realize that. 

Great post, by the way. 

Yeah, his 2019 season was split between Low A & High A.  He was very good in High A over his 12 starts, but as we all know AA is the real test and until he’s proven himself there I’m not sure how he can really be part of our starting mix.

11 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

If the Sox refused to trade Kopech this week with a chance to really contend for a WS, then there is no point to trade him for 2021.  He's in that rotation come April. 

Tha'ts what I said before the trade deadline . If you aren't making any trades to improve the team this season what will change during the off season ? Maybe more players available , more GM's willing to trade in a more stable season? During the winter I doubt the Covid outlook gets any better. It could get worse .

We will get a few more looks at Dunning and Cease so I'm not ruling out that the Sox can still win the World Series this year. But they at least could ve tried to get another quality arm for the pen with Bummer hurt and Cishek a non factor.Too many untested youngsters in the pen and Detwiler a guy who never in his career proved he can do the job consistently. We've been somewhat lucky guys like Marshall and Cordero , both reclamation projects, have performed credibly .

Rodon has to be in the pen when he comes back . Don't even give him any opener starts.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Even if we add Springer, we need to add a stud pitcher.