Dallas Keuchel leaves game with back injury

caulfield12

4 hours ago, asindc said:

This is incorrect.

I don't know why you disagree. Dunning, Giolito and Cease are all excellent prospects but as far as a postseason threesome, they are not exactly money. And Lopez? Tomorrow is a huge game for him. If he gets blasted, I'd suggest shipping him to Schaumberg the rest of the season/postseason and try it again next spring. if he's good? Fine, then he's back in the mix.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Because they want to line up Keuchel for the postseason. People don’t want to hear this, but teams aren’t going to really care what their seeding is

Yes Sox do need to line up Keuchel, then Giolito for games one and two.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because they want to line up Keuchel for the postseason. People don’t want to hear this, but teams aren’t going to really care what their seeding is

I guess so. And I won’t be heartbroken if the Sox aren’t the #1 seed because I really don’t want to play Cleveland in the 1st round. I’d much rather face Toronto or Houston.

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I guess so. And I won’t be heartbroken if the Sox aren’t the #1 seed because I really don’t want to play Cleveland in the 1st round. I’d much rather face Toronto or Houston.

Only problem with getting the 4 seed is you likely get Yankees as the 5

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Toronto will likely finish 8th and Houstin 6th. If the Twins beat us tomorrow, good chance we see the Yankees. 

On 9/10/2020 at 12:33 PM, greg775 said:

If the Sox make the playoffs and win it all without Dallas, it'd be the first time a team won it all with such a blah to horrid pitching staff. It'd be all offense and RR would be manager of the century. Dunning and Cease and Giolito have each had sensational moments but as a group should concern no opponent, at least at this stage. The bullpen also is hugely suspect again despite sensational moments.

This isn't correct at all. The White Sox have the 5th best pitching staff in all of baseball this year. 

16 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

if keuchel can't stay healthy we have very little chance in the post season.

Keuchel is fine. They're lining him up for the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Can someone explain how pretty much forfeiting tomorrows game makes any sense? Because if there’s logic behind this I don’t understand it.

Lining Keuchel up for the playoffs is more important than tomorrow's game against Minnesota. I also don't think they have a roster spot currently. Lopez will go tomorrow. Stiever likely goes on Friday. Keuchel and Cease in Cincinnati. Then it gets interesting. The Sox need to add Keuchel, Rodon and Bummer to the roster and I'm not sure who gets axed to make room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

we don't know that he is fine... I mean I hope he is.

I'm not sure how we can conclude that he is fine from what we know....

I'm telling you he's fine. Renteria said in postgame that he's starting in Cincy and I checked with some beat writers. He's all good. 

• Thanks 8

I personally would go Keuchel #1, Giolito #2 in the playoffs, by lining him up, is it the reverse?

Not sure either way, or at least until he is named in Cincinnati. I just like the veteran to handle the pressure of an opening game. Giolito may be press in an opener, and he is much more effective if relaxed and with command.

There are pros and cons for Cease vs. Dunning. Dunning is pitching better now, but would like to see the match-ups first. Ricky will have a better handle on it, having worked with the pitchers all year. Might be irrelevant first round if there is a quick sweep.

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This isn't correct at all. The White Sox have the 5th best pitching staff in all of baseball this year. 

Keuchel is fine. They're lining him up for the playoffs. 

Lining Keuchel up for the playoffs is more important than tomorrow's game against Minnesota. I also don't think they have a roster spot currently. Lopez will go tomorrow. Stiever likely goes on Friday. Keuchel and Cease in Cincinnati. Then it gets interesting. The Sox need to add Keuchel, Rodon and Bummer to the roster and I'm not sure who gets axed to make room. 

Rodon needs to get added?  Why?

14 Hitters: Abreu, Anderson, Encarnacion, Dyson, Engel, Grandal, Jimenez, Madrigal, Mazara, McCann, Mendick, Moncada, Robert, Sanchez.

13 + 1 Bubble Pitchers: Bummer, Cease, Colome, Cordero, Detwiler, Dunning, Foster, Fry, Giolito, Heuer, Keuchel, Marshall, Rodon + Bubble.

+1 Bubble: Cishek, Gonzalez, Lopez, Stiever

Thinking Stiever still has a shot since they didn't send him down, though that could be for Dallas insurance. Thinking Lopez is likely dropped, down to Cishek (L) vs. Gonzalez (length), the new rules taking some of the odds away from Cishek.

@Y2Jimmy0  Are there still injury changes allowed from series to series similar to last year, or have the rules changed with extra flexibility between the taxi squads due to COVID/Other injuries? In the past, you can swap between series, but I believe a player was DQd from further competition if swapped out.

Lopez starting tomorrow in potentially the most important game of the season, with the division lead and tie breaker on the line, is fucking asinine.  There are other ways to line up the staff for the post season.  The offense best show up tomorrow...

Edited by SouthWallace

36 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Lopez starting tomorrow in potentially the most important game of the season, with the division lead and tie breaker on the line, is fucking asinine.  There are other ways to line up the staff for the post season.  The offense best show up tomorrow...

Yeah I really don't like that we're almost waving the white flag tomorrow just because we took the first 2 in the series. Outside of pitching vs. the Twins, Lopez actually hasn't even been bad. It's just vs. the Twins, he's barely made it out of the first inning.

But like some others have said, I don't think they care whether they win the division or not. If we don't get the division, we'll probably get the 4 seed. And it seems like management is ok with that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm telling you he's fine. Renteria said in postgame that he's starting in Cincy and I checked with some beat writers. He's all good. 

Does this mean Keuchel starts game 1 and Giolito starts game 2 in the playoffs? Actually, Giolito seems lined up to pitch in game 3 right now. Any ideas what the plan is?

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Does this mean Keuchel starts game 1 and Giolito starts game 2 in the playoffs? Actually, Giolito seems lined up to pitch in game 3 right now. Any ideas what the plan is?

As of now my guess would be this: Stiever/Keuchel/Cease vs Cincy. Dunning, TBA, TBA, Giolito vs Cleveland. Keuchel, Dunning, Cease vs Cubs. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

As of now my guess would be this: Stiever/Keuchel/Cease vs Cincy. Dunning, TBA, TBA, Giolito vs Cleveland. Keuchel, Dunning, Cease vs Cubs. 

I was literally just about to come back and say this exact same thing. Then Giolito is game 1 and Keuchel game 2 of the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, chw42 said:

Yeah I really don't like that we're almost waving the white flag tomorrow just because we took the first 2 in the series. Outside of pitching vs. the Twins, Lopez actually hasn't even been bad. It's just vs. the Twins, he's barely made it out of the first inning.

But like some others have said, I don't think they care whether they win the division or not. If we don't get the division, we'll probably get the 4 seed. And it seems like management is ok with that.

Punt the Cincy series if you must, not the tie breaker with the Twins.  It’s infuriating.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

How scary are the yankees with all the injuries though? I think they are getting back Stanton, judge and torres soon but nobody knows in what shape they are or if they are on the DL 3 games later again.

Well, however scary a winning 7 straight and scoring 33 runs in their last two games is I guess...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

How scary are the yankees with all the injuries though? I think they are getting back Stanton, judge and torres soon but nobody knows in what shape they are or if they are on the DL 3 games later again.

You obviously haven't been paying attention to what they have been doing lately.