Should we be worried about the Tigers in the future?

periphery831

Being at top of drafts will get you some talent.

I think Mize will be awesome but I do worry about his durability being a splitter pitcher.

Ive been more impressed with KC recently. I really think some of the pro scout, pro milb player moves will help them find some value and depth. Witt sounds like he’s doing great too.

But none had the benefit of some big talents to trade so it will probably take longer.

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

Being at top of drafts will get you some talent.

I think Mize will be awesome but I do worry about his durability being a splitter pitcher.

Ive been more impressed with KC recently. I really think some of the pro scout, pro milb player moves will help them find some value and depth. Witt sounds like he’s doing great too.

But none had the benefit of some big talents to trade so it will probably take longer.

They should have traded Merrifield, they would have gotten a big haul for him. I have no idea why they didn’t. I’m not complaining though.

Royals are super stupid. They got good depth in their system due to all the comp picks they got but they would have gotten much more if they had traded Hosmer, cain, moustakas and also Perez and merrifield instead of just cashing in comp picks. Comp picks are great but on average you only get a 45 which is great in the back half of your top 20 but not so great in your top5.

• Like 1

Just as a point of reference, but we kicked off our rebuild with a ton of high-end pitching prospects including several elite ones (peak Baseball America ranking listed).  As you can see below, the overall returns have been disappointing.  Unfortunately there is a high attrition rate with pitching prospects and that is something the Tigers & Royals will likely experience in the coming years.  I think it’s way too early to be scared of either of these rebuilds.

• Lucas Giolito: 5th (2016) - Top of rotation starter
  • Michael Kopech: 11th (2018) - Work in progress (injuries)
  • Carlos Rodon: 15th (2015) - Non-durable mid rotation starter
  • Reynaldo Lopez: 31st (2017) - Fringe back of rotation starter
  • Dylan Cease: 38th (2019) - Work in progress (command)
  • Alec Hansen: 57th (2018) - BUST
  • Carson Fulmer: 70th (2016) - BUST
  • Dane Dunning: 82nd (2018) - Work in progress (injuries)
  • Spencer Adams: 100th (2015) - BUST
Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The issue with rebuilding is everyone tries to create a Windows when all comes together at once. Sox are doing it, cubs did it,Padres etc. when you do that you then heavily rely on free agents to fill the gaps, but once you bring all your guys who you wanted in the window very little is left . Now you could be Tampa who obviously puts a boat load of emphasis in scouting and very little emphasis on free agents. We will see what tigers and others do. Tigers will eventually be a very good team but I think our whole division will be very tightly matched in the next couple of years. And I agree whit merrifield should have been traded that was real dumb especially in a covid year where you don’t have fans coming to the ball prk to see their favorite player.

25 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Royals are super stupid. They got good depth in their system due to all the comp picks they got but they would have gotten much more if they had traded Hosmer, cain, moustakas and also Perez and merrifield instead of just cashing in comp picks. Comp picks are great but on average you only get a 45 which is great in the back half of your top 20 but not so great in your top5.

Unless you're confident you can develop them into being more than a 45 which is what it looks like they did with Bubic and Lynch and maybe Kowar if ge can find a breaking ball. 

24 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

They will be good, but someone else has to be anyway. The thing that worries me is that they spend money, unlike the Twins, Tribe, and KC. 

Will the new owner spend as much though? Mike Ilitch was an old man who was willing to lose money because he wanted to win a WS before he died (did not quite work as they lost two WS in his last 10 years).

Apparently his son chris who runs it now is not willing to spend as much money as Detroit is more of a mid size market and after the downfall of industry not super affluent either.

The tigers are not the As or marlins but I doubt they will spend 180+ M like they did in the last years under Mike Illitch.

I just want to make the playoffs in the future and go for it every time we do. With the window open wide this year and with Covid the Sox decided not to go for it this year. Disappointing but understandable if price was too high on a guy like Lynn,but no BP arms was just not wise at all or cheap if you think Jerry had something to say about it.

However with a franchise that has never seen back to back playoff appearances  I cringe thinking about another year of Covid ,a possible strike,injuries,down years from players, prospects not panning out derailing a rebuild as it did earlier with us with the rash of TJ surgeries. Any young  pitcher can take 2 years or more to get to the top of their game if they ever do. If you are lucky a few take less time. We are counting on a lot of young arms to develop quickly to stay on the same course as the position players and that is by nature high risk.

It will be very hard to duplicate what the Cubs and Astros did. They both spent a boatload of money and gave up future talent and they didn't have to deal with a pandemic or whatever happens with the new CBA.

So far only Giolito is on the same path as Eloy , Moncada , Robert. Fulmer busted, Dunning, Kopech, Lambert, Burdi all TJ surgeries. Burdi even more surgeries. Hansen flamed out.

I think everyone naturally assumes the playoffs in multiple years in a row is a lock when it's not. Murphy's Law kicked in at the worst possible time and doesn't appear to be letting up.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its 2020.  IDGAF about Detroit right now, except as a punching back to win games and make the playoffs.

“Should we be worried about other teams being good eventually?”

lol other teams should be very worried how young and locked up this lineup is for years. 

Edited by TheTruth05
  • Like 1

Just now, CeaseAndExist said:

The team every other AL Central fanbase is worried about is the White Sox. At least for the next 3-4 years, we have easily the highest ceiling in the division. It's going to be a very strong division though.

This. Highest ceiling AND longest window. We're 11 over .500 and have two threads about division rivals. We don't need to be looking in the rearview mirror at the other rebuilding teams. 

Let's plant the flag and establish that we're the team to beat for the next 6+ years with this core locked up for the foreseeable future. Win ballgames, don't worry about the other guys.

What position players do the tigers have as top prospects besides torkelson and greene? Planning a rebuild around pitching prospects is dangerous given their much higher bust rates than position players.  I think their best case scenario is being the mets of the mid 2010s.  A couple good years, but an offense that was so inconsistent to below average they never had sustained success.

• Like 2