Playoff Pitching Staff

Chicago White Sox

My starting rotation would be  giolito

Dallas

Dunning

cease

Rodon?  Since he has not pitched much he is iffy to me

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hey, he agrees with me. Use the resources in RF.

Edited by ptatc

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Yep, and or McCann. Problem is there aren't a lot of RF Free Agent options,

Springer and Castellanos will likely be beyond the budget, Ozuna and Pederson are not RFers. Not sure if there are any platoon possibilities with someone in the organization.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yep, and or McCann. Problem is there aren't a lot of RF Free Agent options,

Springer and Castellanos will likely be beyond the budget, Ozuna and Pederson are not RFers. Not sure if there are any platoon possibilities with someone in the organization.

Doesn't have to be a FA. Sox have decent MiLB resources as well. With many owners feeling the economic crunch maybe the Sox can pry away a good RF with a large contract that someone wants to dump for a decent but not top prospect package.

Edited by ptatc

On 9/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, ptatc said:

Will you be able to handle disappointment of the team falling short In the playoffs then? They are clearly a stud short. Can dunning, cease or Kopech be that guy? Yes. But not in 2021 most likely: Kopech (expected innings cap), Dunning still needs a bit more velocity imo, and Cease needs a shrink. Crochet is a nice add to the bunch, but no way he goes a full season and deep playoff run next year either. RF will win you regular season games, Trevor Bauer wins you a world series with Gio, DK and Dunning/Cease/Kopech figuring things out for #4.

14 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I said this last week. I worry about Game 1 or Game 7 Gio meltdowns until he gets a few playoff games under his belt. 

I'd still keep Giolito as the Game 1 starter because of this exact reason. If he melts down and has a horrible inning or two, I'd rather that be against the other team's ace, where we might have needed a shutdown performance to win anyway. Giolito gives you a better chance of the dominance needed to beat an opposing ace, but if he struggles, you still have Keuchel ready for Game 2, where I would really like our chances.

The worst case scenario is if Keuchel starts Game 1 and goes 7 innings/2 ER, and we lose 2-1.  Then with the pressure on, an inexperienced Giolito pitches Game 2 and really struggles., and we're going home.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I'd still keep Giolito as the Game 1 starter because of this exact reason. If he melts down and has a horrible inning or two, I'd rather that be against the other team's ace, where we might have needed a shutdown performance to win anyway. Giolito gives you a better chance of the dominance needed to beat an opposing ace, but if he struggles, you still have Keuchel ready for Game 2, where I would really like our chances.

The worst case scenario is if Keuchel starts Game 1 and goes 7 innings/2 ER, and we lose 2-1.  Then with the pressure on, an inexperienced Giolito pitches Game 2 and really struggles., and we're going home.

Both you and Sonofa have compelling points.

18 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

All you can ask for is having a chance to win a game late. If DK keeps us in the game down 2 to 1 against an ace, we have a shot. If in game 2 Gio gives up 3 or 4 runs early, our offense will have a shot against a number 2 to get back in that game and win it. Also,if DK can get you 7 in game 1, if Gio plays poorly in game 2, our bullpen will be fresh to pitch a long game 2. If Gio wets the bed in game 1 and we lose to an ace, that changes the series big time. The guys will be playing with a world of pressure on them. 

15 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

All you can ask for is having a chance to win a game late. If DK keeps us in the game down 2 to 1 against an ace, we have a shot. If in game 2 Gio gives up 3 or 4 runs early, our offense will have a shot against a number 2 to get back in that game and win it. Also,if DK can get you 7 in game 1, if Gio plays poorly in game 2, our bullpen will be fresh to pitch a long game 2. If Gio wets the bed in game 1 and we lose to an ace, that changes the series big time. The guys will be playing with a world of pressure on them. 

I definitely see your side of it, and I don't think there's a clear-cut answer.  I would just rather have Keuchel in a possible game 2 where the pressure would be large. And I'd rather have the guy who has a better chance to be completely dominant going in game 1.

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Having Gio pitch game 1 ensures that McCann is catching as well and puts Grandal at DH hopefully, keeping EE out. If they hit well...you gotta have those two starting as well, just flipped in catching duties. 

You really can't (shouldn't) do that in the playoffs. Grandal should be 1B if McCann is catching.