Does It Matter At all If We Win The Division?

Soxsi75

I saw the playoff pairings if the playoffs started today. And we would play.........the Twins. So winning the division will just mean we play the team we are battling for the division? Let's say we swap places with the Twins. They finish first and we finish 3rd.  Then we would play........the Twins. With everyone going to some remote place, home field certainly won't matter. They really ought to reward the division winners a bit more in this ridiculous season. Make it so the division winner has to only win 2 games in that opening round where as the lower seeded non divisional winner has to win 3. Unless something like this is already in place.....then I stand corrected. So my question is, is there?

5 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

I saw the playoff pairings if the playoffs started today. And we would play.........the Twins. So winning the division will just mean we play the team we are battling for the division? Let's say we swap places with the Twins. They finish first and we finish 3rd.  Then we would play........the Twins. With everyone going to some remote place, home field certainly won't matter. They really ought to reward the division winners a bit more in this ridiculous season. Make it so the division winner has to only win 2 games in that opening round where as the lower seeded non divisional winner has to win 3. Unless something like this is already in place.....then I stand corrected. So my question is, is there?

In the first round the higher seed gets HFA for all three games. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

In the first round the higher seed gets HFA for all three games. 

They do? OK Good. So there's at least some incentive there then. Thanks. I didn't know that. Guess I didn't hear that, because if that's the case, why do they have to go to some remote place at all for the later rounds? 

Edited by Soxsi75

I think it is still an advantage to play at home because you don't have to travel, can sleep at home and so on. Still not the same as with fans of course. Some studies suggest that the biggest factor is umpires because unconsciously the are afraid to make close calls against the home team and getting booed

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

They do? OK Good. So there's at least some incentive there then. Thanks. I didn't know that. Guess I didn't hear that, because if that's the case, why do they have to go to some remote place at all for the later rounds? 

It's a reward for division winners. The later rounds is to keep players from getting Covid and throwing the post season out of whack. And if things need to get extended, they'd probably prefer to be in warm weather. 

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Aren't we playing a neutral site playoff bubble?  

If that is the case, no, it doesn't matter. 

Yes, that makes the most sense, though they haven't announced anything yet. Ballpark configuration is the key advantage of playing at a home stadium beyond the last at bat.

When I read about this new format, which hopefully is one and done (16 teams playoffs are absurd, especially for baseball), I thought I also read teams would be able to select their opponent for the opening round based on seed (#1 seed could pick any team, #2 the next then #3 with #4 defaulting to the final remaining team).

The way things stand now, it sucks to be the top two seeds without the selection format, as you are stuck playing the Yankees or Astros. Standings will likely change, but I think for a one time only format (16 teams), the selection show for teams to select playoff opponents would be very interesting for teams and fans.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mqr said:

They’ll be playing at neutral sites. It does not matter.

No

As has been the case since 2012, there will be four rounds. But instead of a round featuring a sudden-death Wild Card Game with the division winners resting, the format will be as follows:

Wild Card Series (best-of-three, with all games at the higher seed’s home ballpark) No. 1 seed vs. No. 8; No. 2 vs. No. 7; No. 3 vs. No. 6; No. 4 vs. No. 5.

Division Series (best-of-five, with traditional 2-2-1 home/road format): Winner of 1-8 vs. Winner of 4-5; Winner of 2-7 vs. Winner of 3-6. Home-field advantage goes to the higher seed.

League Championship Series (best-of-seven, with traditional 2-3-2 home/road format): Winner of 1-4-5-8 vs. Winner of 2-3-6-7. Home-field advantage goes to the higher seed.

World Series (best-of-seven, with traditional 2-3-2 home/road format): AL champion vs. NL champion. Home-field advantage goes to the team with the superior regular-season record.

Edited by joesaiditstrue
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Soxsi75 said:

Well I for one like to have last ABs more than my opponent in a playoff series.  But thats just me. 

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, supernuke said:

If given the choice I would rather the Sox be the 2020 AL Central champions than not the 2020 AL Central champions.

This is one big drawback of the expanded playoffs. It cheapens the season somewhat. We fans shouldn't be having this debate. It should always be better to win the division.

• Like 2