GioG activated, Burdi flies the coop

southsider2k5

30 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Sucks about Burdi. He looked good at first and then fizzled. I’d still rather have him than McRae

The stuff is there - which is the good part - the repeatability is a challenge. Hopefully he can keep working right now down in Schaumburg and get himself ready. If it is sooner - awesome, if it isn't until next year, fine.  

"The stuff is there". The often repeated phrase to justify why Dylan Covey was put out here time after time for three years while he built a 6 and 29 record. When he was finally cut, I was never so glad to see a player cut so that his "stuff" could leave with him. 

I'm not saying Burdi is that bad. I'm not making that comparison. It's just when I hear about someone having good "stuff" while getting hit hard, I will always think of Covey and cringe. 

16 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

"The stuff is there". The often repeated phrase to justify why Dylan Covey was put out here time after time for three years while he built a 6 and 29 record. When he was finally cut, I was never so glad to see a player cut so that his "stuff" could leave with him. 

I'm not saying Burdi is that bad. I'm not making that comparison. It's just when I hear about someone having good "stuff" while getting hit hard, I will always think of Covey and cringe. 

Keep in mind that very few pitchers understand how to pitch in the majors when they get to the bigs.  I get impatience is a thing, but that is literally the point of a rebuild too.  We test drive cast offs to see if they can contribute and jettison the ones who can't.

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

I wouldn't compare Burdi & Covey's stuff.  Covey had okay stuff - Burdi has electric stuff. 1k/9 innings but he gets into these funks where he throws some meatballs - hence the 4HR in 11 innings.  We are also talking 11 innings and a guy coming back from some pretty serious injuries - command should be expected to be an issue (given how little he pitched).  As I said - hopefully he has a good plan for how to keep working on repeating those mechanics.  Burdi has thrown some pitches that just dance - like absurd.  He just isn't consistent - if teams can sit on his heater - they'll hit him, period.  If he's throwing strikes and mixing his pitches - he's unhittable (with the stuff).  Whether he can figure it out - I don't know, but I think if he can maintain his health, he can figure out the rest to at least be good (because his stuff is that good).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harkness99 said:

Burdi throws hard.. but they turn him around seemingly effortlessly.

Seems to me there are just some guys I watched over the years.. that can throw really hard but people can hit them easily.

I hope this isn't burdi... but looked ominous to me.

I also get the feeling he isn't going to be "the guy" at the back end of the bullpen like a lot of us hoped he would be. I feel like it would be much more likely to see Heuer closing games out down the road. One thing that sticks out to me with Burdi is that even pre-TJ he seemed susceptible to the long ball. That K/9 is pretty elite - I think he just needs to learn how to attack hitters better.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I also get the feeling he isn't going to be "the guy" at the back end of the bullpen like a lot of us hoped he would be. I feel like it would be much more likely to see Heuer closing games out down the road. One thing that sticks out to me with Burdi is that even pre-TJ he seemed susceptible to the long ball. That K/9 is pretty elite - I think he just needs to learn how to attack hitters better.

He looked like he was overthrowing this year, trying to get the velocity back. Caused him to hang/spike so many pitches.  There’s still hope for him, but he needs to stay healthy and work on his command.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I wouldn't compare Burdi & Covey's stuff.  Covey had okay stuff - Burdi has electric stuff. 1k/9 innings but he gets into these funks where he throws some meatballs - hence the 4HR in 11 innings.  We are also talking 11 innings and a guy coming back from some pretty serious injuries - command should be expected to be an issue (given how little he pitched).  As I said - hopefully he has a good plan for how to keep working on repeating those mechanics.  Burdi has thrown some pitches that just dance - like absurd.  He just isn't consistent - if teams can sit on his heater - they'll hit him, period.  If he's throwing strikes and mixing his pitches - he's unhittable (with the stuff).  Whether he can figure it out - I don't know, but I think if he can maintain his health, he can figure out the rest to at least be good (because his stuff is that good).  

Got to be able to locate the fastball.  Major league hitters can hit a 98mph fastball thrown over the heart of the plate a long way.

His slider is also very inconsistent.  For every good one he threw, he threw about 3 that didnt break at all.  

12 hours ago, fathom said:

He looked like he was overthrowing this year, trying to get the velocity back. Caused him to hang/spike so many pitches.  There’s still hope for him, but he needs to stay healthy and work on his command.

Nailed it.  Throwing 97 but overthrowing to get it.  He needs 2020 to get right from the injuries.  Cease or Heuer throw 97 and look like they're playing soft toss.  Covey?  Had those 2 magic months where he hit 95 and dazzled.  Then he regressed.  So sad.  I liked the guy.

Lotta guys seem to need 2020.  Maybe the whole team does.  2021 may be the glory year.  Won't hurt to get some playoff experience now, tho.  Maybe some more time to sort out the pen and get some starters right.