White Sox @ Pirates - 9/8/20 - 6:05 CT

ShoeLessRob

2 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

It was harder than it looked. It was a quick low throw and Cordero was so close he didn't have much time to react to it.

He's a major league flicking catcher

There are kids in high school who easily make that play. I know as I coach high school ball. Come on....

This is just a prime example of a narrative shaping reality. 

Yeah grandal should probably catch that... but cordero moved slow and out of sorts.  Then he is right in front of Grandal but for some reason throws it very softly and at his shoe.

And Looks like the runner was safe anyway.

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't get what Grandal was thinking.  He didn't even bother to get in an athletic stance.  Was he surprised Cordero threw the ball home??

He looked like an amateur baseball player after the HR. Looked like one of the Monstars from Space Jam stole his talent

• Like 1

Just now, harkness99 said:

Yeah grandal should probably catch that... but cordero moved slow and out of sorts.  Then he is right in front of Grandal but for some reason throws it very softly and at his shoe.

Like others have said it was just a super non chalant showing tonight. No big deal it’s 1 L but that doesn’t mean it’s not tough to watch. 1st place or not

Just now, fathom said:

You know how many people said that about him on the Dodgers in the postseason?

I know you and a couple other posters have been saying that since the Sox first even showed possible interest. Tonight we saw it first hand

Tomorrow is almost a must-win. You can't get swept by the Pirates. The Tigers series is also a trap series. If we don't show up they can take 2 out of 3 from us with the way they've been playing. Not the kind of results you need heading into a 4 game series against the Twins.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

I'll agree with the factor that Grandal was standing straight up instead of in an athletic stance.

Made it a lot harder to catch.

How someone who actually plays first can do something like he did is beyond me.

Just now, chw42 said:

Tomorrow is almost a must-win. You can't get swept by the Pirates. The Tigers series is also a trap series. If we don't show up they can take 2 out of 3 from us with the way they've been playing. Not the kind of results you need heading into a 4 game series against the Twins.

Just win 5 more games. Don’t really care if they’re a 1 seed or 8 seed.  Bad losses like this are fine, just can’t let it snowball. 

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't get what Grandal was thinking.  He didn't even bother to get in an athletic stance.  Was he surprised Cordero threw the ball home??

That was my initial thought, he didn’t even look like he was expecting the ball for some reason.

8 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

I Luv Grandal ( hate Cordero ) but..... Ricky Must make a statement and play Mc Cann at catcher tomorrow. Be Ready  for any throw . Everyone knew the play was at the plate. EVERYONE !!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Just win 5 more games. Don’t really care if they’re a 1 seed or 8 seed.  Bad losses like this are fine, just can’t let it snowball. 

They are a young team. Most of them have never played an inning of playoff baseball. Its a shortened season so its better to experience some stupidity now then later. Hopefully they use this to realize that it is a lot harder to win if you play stupid.

If this was a 162 game season, we’d just chalk it up as one of those games, but man this entire game was tough to watch. Can be a real pivotal point for the remainder of the season/momentum into the playoffs. I have faith that they’ll iron things out and give us an exciting end/playoff run.

But god damn Grandal, looked lethargic back there. Madrigal looks like he’s running in quick sand, love the “grindy” players, but know your limitations. And Cordero!!!! Thank goodness this isn’t a full season otherwise he’d get close to 200 innings pitched.

6 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

If this was a 162 game season, we’d just chalk it up as one of those games, but man this entire game was tough to watch. Can be a real pivotal point for the remainder of the season/momentum into the playoffs. I have faith that they’ll iron things out and give us an exciting end/playoff run.

But god damn Grandal, looked lethargic back there. Madrigal looks like he’s running in quick sand, love the “grindy” players, but know your limitations. And Cordero!!!! Thank goodness this isn’t a full season otherwise he’d get close to 200 innings pitched.

We’ve seen this before with the last two games of the Twins series. They played like shit and they came back. Young teams do this. 

Edited by maloney.adam

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic