Will EE ever get going?

ChiSox1917

1 hour ago, ChiSox1917 said:

He has never started this bad in a season before.  His peripherals (k rate, exit velo) are significantly worse with this “slow start” than his slow starts in prior years.  In prior years slow starts, his k% peaked at about 35% early in the year, this year its up over 40%.  His chase rate is also significantly higher this year than his other “slow starts” while his zone contact rate is down compared to them.  His peripherals with this slow start are much much worse than in prior years.  

But yeah, lets just keep hope he heats up.  Maybe he’ll heat up to being a league average DH this year.  Oh boy.  

He has a long history of being a slow starter.

He's never started without a spring training

He's never had a season where he wasn't allowed to use the video room during the game, and that has been an issue.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He has a long history of being a slow starter.

He's never started without a spring training

He's never had a season where he wasn't allowed to use the video room during the game, and that has been an issue.

He's also only run a k-rate this high for this long two other times in his career (both to start the season though), he's never had a stretch quite this long with a contact rate this low in his career - it's down 6% from his previous career low but only 2% from previous low 30 game rolling avg's. He's swinging more (swing rate up 2%), making significantly less contact, and when he does make contact he's hitting the ball 4 MPH slower on average than his previous career low EV. Lastly, this is the least effective he's been vs the fastball in 10 years (grading out near avg to below avg for the first time). It's the last two points that concern me more than the start; when he does make contact, it's softer, and he's getting beat by fastballs while in past struggles early season he was getting beat by off-speed stuff.

Edwin has started slow every year of his career, and in 2018 he had similar struggles in Mar/Apr - his K-rate was 29%, so not quite where it is but still inflated. He had a 55 wRC+... but this does feel a little different because of the struggles vs fastballs and the down EV. This moment is when he usually turns it on - his struggles have never really reached the 40 game mark, or the 125 AB mark, so this week ahead may be bigger for Edwin than we know.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hahn spent $17M on the last two Free Agents, EE and Cishek, already had Grandal, McCann, Abreu, Vaughn and Jimenez on the 40 man.

By that time most of the big names were gone beyond the pricey Ozuna and Castellanos, and Hahn's Mazara gamble made better sense in terms of $s and flexibility.

Brad Miller ($2M) & Jeremy Jeffress ($0.9M) were two low cost signings after the Sox were done that turned out to be good 2020 signings (both 1 year deals so FA again in 2021).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2020-transactions.shtml

Hope Encarnacion finishes strong, but not strong enough for any temptation to pick up the club option (or sign outside of the option at a lower rate). Current 26 man roster options plus Vaughn makes Parrot expendable.

I'll review the 2021 Free Agents and post good market and bargain FA candidates after the off-season. I don't project the White Sox to sign a $10M+ FA this off-season beyond the possibility of Colome, pressed in part due to the injury to Bummer. Taijuan Walker & Anthony DeSclafani may be affordable options to bolster the rotation at first glance.

Dont forget we also had Collins and Mercedes. No telling how they might have hit had either one been given the opportunity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

We would have been better off just letting Collins being DH. 

So much more flexibility with EE gone and Collins up. Our best lineup would be in there and have a power bat who draws walks a lot off the bench if needed

Hindsight is always 20/20

EE and Mazara are almost certain to be gone next year.  Both pluses. Dyson, too.  Another plus.  We'll probably lose our best all around catcher.  A negative.

Now it looks as if Collins and Vaughn will be added.  My hope is that they can figure out a way to get Yermin on the roster.  Get another outfielder somewhere.  Looks easy.

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

EE and Mazara are almost certain to be gone next year.  Both pluses. Dyson, too.  Another plus.  We'll probably lose our best all around catcher.  A negative.

Now it looks as if Collins and Vaughn will be added.  My hope is that they can figure out a way to get Yermin on the roster.  Get another outfielder somewhere.  Looks easy.

I'd honestly look to see what Dyson would be on a 1y deal to bring him back... I think he fits pretty well here for what he is.

• Haha 1

His batted ball data is awful.  EV way down, popups up -- and that's just when he hits the ball.  Rick Hahn is a good GM but his streak of bringing in washed up DH types continues.  I liked the signing at the time but I don't have access to the scouting Hahn does.  He has to get better at bringing in veteran FA now that the Sox are out of the rebuild.

Furthermore, Hahn and the Sox have this baffling tendency to discount opportunity cost and ignore sunk cost.  They basically just fucked Zach Collins and Yermin and for what?  To REALLY make sure EE is washed up?  I mean 9/10 this only ends one way and that's with him sucking the rest of the way and not getting his option picked up.  Meanwhile you just wasted any development from Yermin or Collins.  Sox could have made the hard decision (but correct) to cut EE two weeks ago and start giving those ABs to other players.  But, they didn't and here we are, where they are still hoping for a miracle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1