The George Springer Paradox

Look at Ray Ray Run

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It might make you happy but you are dreaming if you think there is even an outside shot at the White Sox signing both. Maybe one, and that is a big maybe. But it would be bold. Reclamation projects seem to be the way the Sox usually go, even after their other total rebuild in the late 80s. I wouldn’t be surprised if they went after Kluber for a reclimation price. I know I am in the huge minority, but Mazara is actually hitting fairly well now except for power which we all know he has. I am sure his illness zapped that. Hopefully he gets it back because It is more likely than not if they replace him next season, it will be with a player that has just as many warts.

Except they signed Grandal and Keuchel last offseason (and almost signed Grandal and Wheeler) which is about as direct a comparison as you can get. I think its definitely possible.

56 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The paradox is; George Springer benefited from cheating and hasn't been as good this year as he was in years past when he was allegedly cheating and the White Sox would be smart to sign George Springer.

3b65550a59116b5f3c583bb246028a65.png

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Personally, I would pass on paying a lot for another RH bat.  He’s better than Mazara or any minor league options, but there’s redundancy in his skill set. I would rather have Bauer (though I think that is unlikely). I would probably spend the money in a very unsexy way, lock up Giolito.

^  This seems right to me.  

• Like 1

I'm sorry but it should be expected that the White Sox spend significantly this off-season. I'm not expecting a $150 million payroll or anything but they have close to $45 million coming off the books. They should replace that at a minimum and they'd still be a medium sized payroll. They need at least 1 starting pitcher, right field and bullpen help. It should be doable even with the "catastrophic losses". 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It might make you happy but you are dreaming if you think there is even an outside shot at the White Sox signing both. Maybe one, and that is a big maybe. But it would be bold. Reclamation projects seem to be the way the Sox usually go, even after their other total rebuild in the late 80s. I wouldn’t be surprised if they went after Kluber for a reclimation price. I know I am in the huge minority, but Mazara is actually hitting fairly well now except for power which we all know he has. I am sure his illness zapped that. Hopefully he gets it back because It is more likely than not if they replace him next season, it will be with a player that has just as many warts.

After reading this , I have to ask you. Starting next year 2021 through 2025 how many of those 5 seasons do you think the Sox make the playoffs ?

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm sorry but it should be expected that the White Sox spend significantly this off-season. I'm not expecting a $150 million payroll or anything but they have close to $45 million coming off the books. They should replace that at a minimum and they'd still be a medium sized payroll. They need at least 1 starting pitcher, right field and bullpen help. It should be doable even with the "catastrophic losses". 

This is 100% my expectation as well. 

They don't *have* to spend it all this offseason, but they definitely need to be paying up 

Good topic Ray Ray.

I would explore 2 years $32 million for Michael Brantley.  Lefty hitter, high on base %, does not strike out, still good defensively in RF, no known negative baggage and 32 years old.   He would be a near perfect fit.

2 years for $32 mil. is exactly what he accepted two years ago. We should have signed him then, instead of chasing Machado & Harper.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Bingo 😂

George springer cheated and may not be reliable and good; signing george springer makes the white sox elite. 

Not sure what is off but I could just be blind on this word choice. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Not really a “paradox,” (maybe a conundrum). In any event Springer would be a nice addition at the right price, but I hope they address the rotation before worrying about further strengthening an already-strong lineup.   

You know, if @Look at Ray Ray Run checked my post history and took some notes, he may learn a thing or two. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

At this point, with McCann continuing to look like the goods behind the plate, Yaz still being being here, Abreu having an MVP year, and Vaughn being on the cusp, I think the Sox need to seriously consider seeing if Vaughn can hang in RF. 

On paper Eloy and Vaughn on the corners sounds gross af defensively but with Robert in CF it could be passable.

46 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They can just call this guy up to play RF.  Oh. Damn

5th instrasquad blast lol

Every time I hear about how Vaughn is destroying the ball - and I think Vaughn is going to be amazing - in Schaumburg I think to myself "he better be, who the fuck the Sox have pitching down there?"

These top prospects better be destroying baseballs at their training sites because baseball has gone through all the good arms at the MLB level this year due to expanded rosters and injuries.

Congratulations to Jered on his 5th fake game home run vs friends; Nick Madrigal has an 824 OPS and a 380 average vs big leaguers.

• Like 2

I was thinking adam duvall could be available with the braves outfield sitch, but thinking braves probably in no hurry since no need to rush in waters/pache while they are competing. 

There should be some interesting players available instead of going to arb this offseason for outfield.

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

5th instrasquad blast lol

Every time I hear about how Vaughn is destroying the ball - and I think Vaughn is going to be amazing - in Schaumburg I think to myself "he better be, who the fuck the Sox have pitching down there?"

These top prospects better be destroying baseballs at their training sites because baseball has gone through all the good arms at the MLB level this year due to expanded rosters and injuries.

Congratulations to Jered on his 5th fake game home run vs friends; Nick Madrigal has an 824 OPS and a 380 average vs big leaguers.

Who would these guys be hitting HRs against in AA?  Clayton Kershaw? 

Wil Myers and Conforto are at 1.8 and 1.7, respectively. 

I've already beaten the Myers thing to death, SD would like to cut his salary after this year...but they're certainly not desperate to move him now since his OPS is almost 1.000 again.

Poor Adam Eaton's at -0.3.  Kole Calhoun at 0.6.   Adam Duvall?   Nah.   Gallo's not an easy get from the Rangers, but they might be open to moving him, you never know.    Ozuna's really had a good bounceback year.    Castellanos, despite starting white hot, is back to his usual below 1.0 territory.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=rf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2020&month=0&season1=2020&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2020-01-01&enddate=2020-12-31

Springer's 19th overall (expanding the field from just RFers), tied with Mark Canha and Robbie Grossman, an interesting trio there.

Starling Marte and Nimmo, pretty darned familiar names in discussions the last couple of years.

And still a bit leery about Michael Brantley at this point in his career...depends on limiting years/price, obviously.

Would love to hear what Keuchel has to say about Mr. Springer behind closed doors.    Altuve's obviously even more of a concern, if you look at his dramatic falloff statistically.

14 names.

Overall rating in terms of name dropping on a historical basis, B-/C+.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was thinking adam duvall could be available with the braves outfield sitch, but thinking braves probably in no hurry since no need to rush in waters/pache while they are competing. 

There should be some interesting players available instead of going to arb this offseason for outfield.

He's at 0.6 fWAR pretty sure, I had just removed him from my last post because it would have constituted 15 names, and NOBODY in their right mind gets excited about the likes of Duvall or Cole Kalhoun, right?

Statistically, he's barely a match for Canha and Robbie Grossman.

Eloy and Harper are just ahead, at 1.0 fWAR numbers so far on the year.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Who would these guys be hitting HRs against in AA?  Clayton Kershaw? 

The entirety of the minor leagues has significantly more pitching depth than a single organization; you also don't see the same guy over and over again which is a big advantage to the hitter. When you pair familiarity with the depth fact it means a much more friendly hitting environment. Vaughn better be raking, as should be Kelenic.